14 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2013 12:16 AM by Indio22

4770K or 4930K?

Moxtelling Level 1

Hi

I´m about to upgrade my good old i7 920 to either a 4770K or a 4930K...mostly because I begin to experience issues with my old 920 and want a more responsive system (have upgraded disks (RAID), and graphiccard recently, so now it´s time for the CPU, MOBO and RAM....

I have read a lot about both CPUs, but are so confused that I really need som good advice from you guys...

As I can understand from reading tests and reviews there are both good and bad things to say about both CPUs. Price is not an issue for me, so I just need the best and the one that I might not have to change for the next 2 years - at least.

Actually I almost had decided to buy the 4930K Extreme IV-E  with an ASUS P9X79 PRO and 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-2400 RAM. But then I read about the 4770K being better for Premiere Pro/After Effects. The 4930K have more cores but seems to be based on old technolgy, while the 4770K is the new Hasswel, is much vheaper and seems to be the way to go if I wan´t to keep up and maybe upgrade to another Hasswel in a few years? Guess both CPUs would work just fine....??

What would be the best choice - and if 4770K wich MOBO would you suggest? And should I even wait for the Hasswell 8 cores in 2014?

I will use my old GTX 570 (wich seems to be almost as good as the GTX 780 or Quadro 4000) and my newly bought HDDs and SSD. My case is very large...so no problem in having lots of hardware in there...

Thx in advance!

Morten

• 1. Re: 4770K or 4930K?
          ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

The 4770K is not faster than the 4930K with Premiere or AE when clocked similarly. The 4930K is still the better chip. The media you use decides the over all difference in performance advantage the 4930K has though. What media are you using? The 780GTX is by far better than the 570GTX but you may not see the performance difference if the media or workflow does not push the card. It takes media like Red to really push the 780GTX or Titan cards for example. A single 6 Core can feed a 780GTX ok but a 12 Core will push it more. However neither will push the card to it's limit. That takes a Dual Xeon with Red media or DNG. Those are examples of when some hardware is best used with what configurations and what workflows. This is why you have to take allot of the information out there saying the 4770 performs better with a grain of salt. The testing methodology used can really skew the truth.

Eric

ADK

• 2. Re: 4770K or 4930K?
            Moxtelling Level 1

Hi Eric

Thank hou for answering so quickly :-)

I mainly edit avchd files from either my. HMC 151 or my GH3. What I would like is a system that will be able to edit clips in Premiere pro with a couple of non-GPU accelerated effects smooth like butter :-) I can see that my CPU runs 100% during playback in editing. So guess I would gaun alot upgrading.

Just read about Hasswell coming with 8 cores i. 2014...if i go for the 4930 I will get an older technology and might have to upgrade in two years? On the other hand the LGA1155 mobo does only support 32 GB ram.

• 3. Re: 4770K or 4930K?

If you get the correct board, you can upgrade to the 12 Core Xeon V2 chips on the current X79's if you needed to down the road. Haswell is the latest technology/platform for Desktop/Mobile. Ivy-E is the latest for Workstation ie X79/Server. Just because Haswell is a different architecture than Ivy-E that does not mean it's better. The Workstation Server Platforms have a different upgrade rotation time than Desktop Mobile. That is just the way Intel does it. That does not mean IVY-E is old technology. There were changes with Ivy-E that Ivy desktop did not have. Just like there will be changes with Haswell-E that Haswell Desktop does not have. The benefits of the Workstation platform over the Desktop are rather significant including the ram difference ie 64GB to 32GB. Also the PCI-E channels difference is significant with far greater expansion options for workstation. The media you edit can easily be done with the current Haswell chips though so that would be fine for that. However should you change cameras and workflow later then that would be questionable. That is why the Workstation is the main and workhorse system around for media content creation. It gives the best workflow expansion without the Server platform pricing. BTW a 660Ti or 760GTX cards are more than enough for that media.

Eric
              ADK

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: 4770K or 4930K?
                Moxtelling Level 1

Thx again...I think I got it now ;-)

I think the 4930K will do for now...the extra I would gain from a 4960X is not worth the price, I guess?

I very much like the thought using a Xeon with lots of cores etc. But how much would I really gain in Premiere Pro? I have seen tests that showed that it is not allways the number of cores that determines the speed of rendering/playback in Premiere Pro...I wonder if it would be wise buying a Xeon from the start - like the E5-2650 V2?

Right now i am only editting HD, but with 4K being the next standard - maybe even as we speak - things go fast out there - I could be working with 4K in maybe 1-2 years from now...will the 4930K be able to do the job then or will I have to go for the Xeon when that time comes?

About graphic card...first I had a GTX 260 - I thought it might be the bottleneck in my system and it was not on Adobes list of supported cards at that time, so I bought a FX3800 (for 1000$ - still got it - no one wanna buy it) - but it did not give me more speed and the card was very noisy. Such a waste. So I went for the GTX 570 and it seems to be doing a great job and is quite slient too. So what could I expect in terms of speed if I upgraded to 660Ti or GTX 760? I guess only lower encoding time, but playback/scrubbing during editting would be almost the same as with my GTX 570, would it not? i have no problem waiting 15-30 minutes for my movies to be exported - what I do care about is speed while editing - I wan´t smooth playback - even with some non-accelrated FX....

Thank you for your detailed usefull answers.

• 5. Re: 4770K or 4930K?
                  cc_merchant Level 4

Read Harm's articles on disk setup, raids, balanced systems and much more here: Tweakers Page

• 6. Re: 4770K or 4930K?

If you get the 12 Core then I suggest the 2697 V2. The other 12 core is really to slow clock speed for GPU acceleration. If that is out of the prices range then get the 4930K and wait for the need on the 12 Core. Media decides what type of threading will be used and how that effects performance. A 6 Core at higher clock speed will outperform a 12 Core at lower clock speed with H264 DSLR and AVCHD. However a 12 Core even at slower clock speed will far outperform a 6 core at 4.5GHz with Red media.

The video card will impact the realtime playback but once again the performance gain will depend on the media used and the workflow/complexity of the timeline ie effects and other aspects when GPU acceleration is in play. At that point the greater cores of the 700 series cards will outperform the 500 series cards. Just as it is with the CPU's this is situational.

Eric

ADK

• 7. Re: 4770K or 4930K?
                      Moxtelling Level 1

Thx.

I go for the 4930K.

But I´m in doubt about MOBO.

I had almost ordered the ASUS P9X79 WS untill I realized it was SSI CEB....I love my case - Fractal Design XL Black Pearl - that I have just bouught not even a year ago and it supports the E-ATX and might - according to fractal Design - have place for the ASUS P9X79 WS if the mounting holes are placed equal to ATX MOBOs....

Any clues about if these MOBOs should be able to fit in an E-ATX case?

Morten

• 8. Re: 4770K or 4930K?

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P9X79E_WS/

That is the better option for the WS series. Any EATX case will handle these boards.

Eric

ADK

• 9. Re: 4770K or 4930K?
                          Moxtelling Level 1

Thank you.

I have just spoken to two different persons from two different online hardwareshops and they say it´s a server MOBO and I need a SSI CEB case.

But I think you might be right. Have read the same elsewhere. I´ll try this:

CPU: 4930K

COOLER: Noctua NH-D14

MOBO: P9X79-E WS

RAM: G.Skill RipjawsZ DDR3-2400 C10 OC - 64GB (64 GB: 8 x 8 GB (Octa Channel), DIMM 240-pin, DDR3, 2400 MHz / PC3-19200, CL10-12-12-31, 1.65 V,)

I´ll keep the GTX 570 for now and wait and see. I´ll change it to a GTX 780 if needed. Wich brand ìs best? ASUS?

About the RAM - ASUS writes that the G.Skill RipjawsZ 4 x 8GB (32GB) is supported - but what about 64GB? I guess it will work fine?

Thx again - now I am almost ready to order ;-) really looking forward to this upgrade now...

Morten

• 10. Re: 4770K or 4930K?

EATX is the most common Server board standard. There are a few that get to the HPTX but not many. EATX is bigger than the 12x10 standard used by these boards.

Eric

ADK

• 11. Re: 4770K or 4930K?
                              cc_merchant Level 4

1.65V is a no-go. Maximum for a fully populated mobo is 1.5V but better 1.35V

• 12. Re: 4770K or 4930K?
                                Moxtelling Level 1

Oooohh - Holy sh.... I had allready ordered the RAM - luckily I was able to cancel the order online.

Seems there is no 2400 RAM running 1.5 V....

I took a look at ASUS list of P9X79-E WS Memory Qualified Vendors List (QVL): http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/Socket2011/P9X79-E_WS/Manual&QVL/P9X79-E_WS_memory_QVL _130625.pdf

These is only two sets qualified with 64 GB - both running 2133 and 1.5V - wich to choose? I am not so much into what is good and bad in RAM-world...

G.SKILL F3-17000CL11Q2-64GBZLD(XMP) 64GB ( 8x 8GB ) DS - - 11-11-11-30 1.5V  (2,4 and 6 DIMM)

KINGSTON KHX21C11T3FK8/64X(XMP) 64GB ( 8x 8GB ) DS - - 9-9-9-24 1.5V  (2,4, 6, and 8 DIMM)

• 13. Re: 4770K or 4930K?
                                  cc_merchant Level 4

I know that Harm's preference is the G.Skill set, because of the higher CAS latency, but maybe that no longer applies with the BIOS updates recently. Normally one would opt for lower CAS latencies, but in the early days of the X79 range, that caused serious problems and despite some performance loss, the higher CAS latencies were much more stable.

• 14. Re: 4770K or 4930K?
                                    Indio22 Level 1

I am upgrading to the i7-4770K because I couldn’t pass up the Microcenter $200 deal this past week.  I will be using a Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H board ($130) and 32GB of Corsair memory ($80 on a nice deal earlier in the year at Microcenter before mem prices went up).  I like the Z87 platform because of the six native Sata 3 ports.  I have a bunch of SSDs and would like to use them on those ports.  The X79 platform still only has two native Sata 3 ports?  Also I didn’t see myself taking advantage of the additional PCI-e lane capability of X79.  But if you need 6 cores, more than 32gb ram, and those PCIe lanes – you got to go x79.

Personally, I try to find the point where a build will not let me reasonably get the tasks done, and then I design up from there.  Based on costs, I decide how many shortcuts/work arounds or inconveniences I can handle by not having the ultimate (and out of price range) machine.  Basically as a non-professional, I still want to be in a position to do similar quality work with a professional outcome, but I can deal with some shortcuts/workarounds/minor delays, if the cost saving is significant.