12 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2013 1:48 PM by RjL190365

Is this System suitable for DSLR & Premiere Editing?

gaugefilm Level 1

Hi everyone. I'm a first time poster so be gentle

I've been on Mac's for about a decade now using Final Cut Studio. I'm planning on moving over to a PC using premire pro simply because I cannot justify the price of new macs for editing HD video. It's a no brainer when comparing cost. Anyway, one disadvantage of coming back from the darkside is my lack of technical computer speak... You know, the jargon barrier... But I'll give it my best shot.

I shoot video on a whole bunch of Canon DSLR's and want to edit this footage naitvely on my new PC. Below is a computer I build on the Scan website here in the UK. Please let me know your thoughts and criticisms. Will it edit natively is my main concern? After a bit of research I think it will but I thought I'd run it past you kind people first.

Here is the Disk setup:

C: SSD 128GB for OS and programs like Premiere

D: HDD Mirror x2TB for Media and Project Files

E: HDD 1TB for static page file and Media Cache

F: HDD 1TB for Previews & Exports

Here is the Spec:

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl Mid Tower Ultra Low Noise Case USB 3.0

Motherboard X79: Asus P9X79 Workstation Motherboard - Server class 24-hour non-stop operation for the most demanding tasks.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4930K 3.4GHz Hex Core + Hyperthreading 12MB Cache

CPU Coolers: Corsair H80i High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

Overclocking: Intel CPU professionally overclocked by our 3XS engineers to 4.2Ghz

Memory - DDR3: 32GB Total (4x8GB) Corsair 1.35v 1600MHz, 4 selected

Consumer NVIDIA Graphics: 2GB EVGA GTX 760 SC 1072MHz GPU 1152 Cores 6008MHz GDDR5

Power Supply Unit: 750W Corsair RM Modular Silent 80PLUS Gold - Any Dual Graphics Cards

Solid State Drives 1: 128GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD Read 530MB s Write 390MB s

Hard Drives - Desktop: 1TB Western Digital Blue SATA 6GB s 7200RPM 64MB Cache, 2 selected

Hard Drives - Enterprise 24 7 (RAID 1 Mirror): 2TB Western Digital RE4 Enterprise - 24x7 3Gb s 7200rpm 64MB Cache, 2 selected

Optical Drive 1 - DVD Blu Ray: LG 16x Blu-ray DVD Writer inc Playback Software

Sound Card: Asus Xonar DX XD 7.1

Operating system: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit SP1 - OEM

Please let me know what you all think. Is there any alarm bells ringing for the above spec or will it all run smoothly?

All the best and thanks for taking the time to read

Kevin

• 1. Re: Is this System suitable for DSLR & Premiere Editing?
          shooternz Level 6

Maybe a bigger power supply for margin of comfort.

• 2. Re: Is this System suitable for DSLR & Premiere Editing?
            Level 4

maybe SSD for the page and cache... and 2 T for the exports.  On the case you have room for fans on bottom, side and top, I would use the silent fans on every fan port you can. I have fractal design case also, with liquid cooled cpu and shoot with nikon d800, and no probs with cs6 doing mov h264 native. yellow line but smooth. But now I'm using ninja2 from hdmi output to record avid codec to ssd on ninja... and it looks better than the mov stuff and is a nicer space ( 422 ) etc. same vista oem like yours.

got my stuff built for me at micro center in MN. for about $2500.00, pretty much what you have listed minus sound card. I'm just using mobo sound.

I call mine " the pig " cause it's huge and weighs a TON..

you'll like your new machine. I got 2 HP 23xi monitors ( cheap but all I can do for now $ wise ).

• 3. Re: Is this System suitable for DSLR & Premiere Editing?
              Level 4

one more thing to maybe check out...

when I got mine the tech guy ( who knew A LOT ) that helped me pick out the parts for pig told me that win 8 handles multithreading BETTER than win 7.  Now, I had heard that adobe stuff had some probs with win 8 so I stuck with win 7. I think win 8 got an upgrade since then. Not sure as I dont follow all the tech stuff much. But you might wanna check that out now.

• 4. Re: Is this System suitable for DSLR & Premiere Editing?
                Level 4

oh, one more thing...

I didnt chk out your mobo, but if you can make sure you get one with esata in back panel in case you wanna use some ext drives later on to transfer work etc.

• 5. Re: Is this System suitable for DSLR & Premiere Editing?
                  Jim_Simon Level 9

[Moved to Hardware forum.]

• 6. Re: Is this System suitable for DSLR & Premiere Editing?
                    gaugefilm Level 1

I think I read a comment by Harm Millaard somewhere that HDD's were better for page and cache. Although I'm no expert so I have no clue. Can you tell me why an SSD is better?

I completely agree with the 2TB for the exports! I'll deck the case out with fans as well. Thanks!

Do you think I need the soundcard? What is the benifits of having one?

• 7. Re: Is this System suitable for DSLR & Premiere Editing?
                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>think I read a comment by Harm Millaard somewhere that HDD's were better for page and cache

Technology changes, but read before using an SSD for "many write" files

SSD and Video Editing http://forums.adobe.com/thread/902915?tstart=0

-and http://forums.adobe.com/message/4492104

• 8. Re: Is this System suitable for DSLR & Premiere Editing?
                        gaugefilm Level 1

Realistically how large a HDD do I need for my pagefile and Media Cache. Is 1TB overkill or will it all add up over time?

• 9. Re: Is this System suitable for DSLR & Premiere Editing?
                          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Page file is either dynamic (managed by Windows "as needed") or any static value you set

Search at http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US for more information

Cache files may be deleted when you finish a project... they will be recreated if you go back to a project file

I do home video editing with 3 drives and NONE of them has ever become close to full... I do delete temp files after working

My 3 hard drives for video editing are configured as...

1 - 320Gig Boot for Win7 64bit Pro and ALL program installs (2)

2 - 320Gig data for Win7 paging swap file and video project files

When I create a project on #2 drive, the various work files follow,

so my boot drive is not used for the media cache folders and files

3 - 1Terabyte data for all video files... input source & output export files (1)

(1) for faster input/output if you have 4 drives

- use drive 3 for all source files

- use drive 4 for all output files

(2) only 70Gig used, for Win7 & CS5 MC & MS Office & other smaller programs

• 10. Re: Is this System suitable for DSLR & Premiere Editing?
                            gaugefilm Level 1

How would you advise I set up a pagefile? Dynamic or Static? It seems to split people down the middle.

I'm using 32GB of memory and Harm seems to advise setting a static pagefile of 32GB for that. Would you recommend this (if you recommend the static option of course). Sounds like the 1TB E drive might be a bit overkill if I only need a 32GB static pagefile and I can regularly delete the Media Cache Database. How large can the Media Cache get if multiple projects are being edited? Perhaps a smaller SSD would work here like able123 said? I'm still not sure on that one? 

If you had the below drives what would you change:

C: SSD 128GB for OS and programs like Premiere

D: HDD Mirror x2TB for Media and Project Files

E: HDD 1TB for static page file and Media Cache

F: HDD 1TB for Previews & Exports

I'm guessing the OS and progams are fine on the SSD. It seems wise to have the important raw media and project files on the mirrored 2TB HDD. As statted above, not sure about the E drive... Lastly how big can previews render files get and if I do go for an SSD for the E drive would it be adventageous to put the previews on there as well instead of my F HDD export drive?

Thanks

Kevin

• 11. Re: Is this System suitable for DSLR & Premiere Editing?
                              Indio22

Some of the earlier opinions of platter drives over SSDs were due to the cost of SSDs.  But costs have come down considerably the last few years.  Particularly for persons who do not need large capacity, having terabytes of unused space, could be of limited value.  In that case SSDs could be a better choice.  Also the fear of limited writes to SSDs is sometimes overstated – leastways it is a low concern of mine.

One area I am still looking into is SSDs in RAID configurations.  There is different and sometimes conflicting information about SSDs in RAID.  Some concerns are garage collection, and how much benefit is achieved via RAID in terms of throughput vs. overhead.  It is something I am still looking into.

But overall, given how users are eager for speed of data access, and the advantages SSDs offer in certain areas, particularly if a user does not need lots of space and RAID is doable, it is not clear to me why anyone would use platter drives over SSDs.  Maybe someone here can comment with the tech/specs why a platter drive would be better for performance?

• 12. Re: Is this System suitable for DSLR & Premiere Editing?
                                RjL190365 Level 4

Kevin,

You do not want to put a Windows pagefile on anything other than your system's C: (or OS) drive. This is because Windows 8.x (in particular) requires that a pagefile be located on your OS (system) drive to begin with (if there is no pagefile on C:, or if a pagefile exists on another drive, then Windows will create a dynamic pagefile for you on C:). And even Windows 7 will create a small pagefile on C: if another pagefile exists on another drive.

Also, a static pagefile on C: is preferred: Having Windows expand the pagefile dynamically will slow down overall system performance substantially.

To Indio22:

Platter drives are still the far more economical choice over SSDs when extremely large files are involved. You see, some working video files can go into the tens or even hundreds of GB per clip. And current prices for a 500GB-class SSD are still almost three times higher than those of a typical 3TB 7200-RPM hard drive.

In addition, if you have a 6-series or earlier Intel chipset, do not configure any SSDs in a RAID 0 configuration: The current version of the Intel Rapid Storage Technology drivers only support TRIM in RAIDed SSDs when used on motherboards with 7-series or higher chipsets.