4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2014 2:30 PM by CarthagoDelendaEst

Why does the page display properly in Chrome browser, but not in Internet Explorer 8?

Tim4764

In "Style the navigation bar," we are prompted to preview the website.  It worked fine when I tried it with Chrome browser, but when I tried to do so with Internet Explorer 8, it looked very different.

• 1. Re: Why does the page display properly in Chrome browser, but not in Internet Explorer 8?
          David_Powers Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

The video tutorial uses HTML5 elements, such as <header>, <nav>, and <footer>, which are not supported by Internet Explorer 8. They require a minimum of IE 9.

The written version of the tutorial, which is much more detailed, shows how to use a small JavaScript file to coax older versions of Internet Explorer to display the site and its styles correctly. The written tutorial begins on the following page: http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/articles/first_website_pt1.html.

• 2. Re: Why does the page display properly in Chrome browser, but not in Internet Explorer 8?
            armona22

I am having the same problem. Your answer surprises me.... I have the latest version of IE, My finished tutorial displays correctly in all browsers except IE, but your finished version shows correctly in IE on the same computer. I inspected the codes over and over, but they are 100% the same. This is a terrible problem since I had to stop creating a new website for a client (I can not take the risk presenting something with an error like this)

Note: I have inserted the js file, same problem.

Update: IE opens with a blocked content warning (no clue how to avoid that) but "allow" helps displayin the correct font type. Then I inspected the link to the Home page and noticed that the line does not show the "thispage" part...

IE fout.jpg

• 3. Re: Why does the page display properly in Chrome browser, but not in Internet Explorer 8?
              David_Powers Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

armona22 wrote:

My finished tutorial displays correctly in all browsers except IE, but your finished version shows correctly in IE on the same computer. I inspected the codes over and over, but they are 100% the same.

I hate to state the obvious, but if my version shows correctly, but yours doesn't, and you're looking at them on the same computer, they cannot be 100% the same.

One of the first things that web designers learn is that browsers all render web pages differently. Older versions of Internet Explorer are particularly problematic, and it's impossible to deal with all issues in a short tutorial. The "blocked content" warning that you have seen on IE is the result of that browser's ultra-cautious attitude towards running scripts in a local environment. If you were to view the same page on a live website, you wouldn't get the same warning.

If you haven't already done so, I recommend that you visit the main Dreamweaver support forum, where you can discuss a wide range of web-related issues with other designers/developers who have a wide range of experience from beginner to top-level professional.

Welcome to the complex, and often frustrating world of web development.

• 4. Re: Why does the page display properly in Chrome browser, but not in Internet Explorer 8?
                CarthagoDelendaEst

I am downloading the written instructions, but am wondering if the same answer will be true for a similar problem. 

I was going to say that IE 11 was not displaying the font correctly, but it turns out I just needed to say ok to dispaying blocked content.

Chrome, though, is not displaying all of the characters correctly.  Some of the apostrophes are displaying correctly, but then some are displaying as an accented i.  Also, the long dashes used in a few places, including a couple times in the main article, paragraph 2, sentence 2, are displaying as an accented o.  I'm not a coder, but I've checked what was displayed, and there was no code for the dashes and the code for the apostrophe in the first sentence of that same paragraph looks the same as others which are correct, but displays incorrectly.

They display correctly in IE.

Any clues on where I went wrong, or should I just start with the instructions?