7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2013 7:05 PM by MadJacko

Weird extrusion

MadJacko Level 1

After creating a shape fron vector layer in After Effects, I can set the extrusion depth, toggle on a 3-D layer, and extrude this object inasmuch as I see its extruded wire frame. However, the shape which I wish to extrude seems to remain flat, as though an image glued to one side of a box, How do I get this shape to take the depth or appearance of its wire frame? Ray tracing is active, and under Geometry options I set an extrusion depth of 77.

• 1. Re: Weird extrusion
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Show a screenshot so that we can understand what you're seeing.

• 2. Re: Weird extrusion
            MadJacko Level 1

Thanks. Here is the image:

I will try to figure out how to add it on the forum.

Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 06:46:24 -0800

To: jackoslam@hotmail.com

Subject: Weird extrusion

Re: Weird extrusion

created by Todd_Kopriva in After Effects - View the full discussion

Show a screenshot so that we can understand what you're seeing.

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at http://forums.adobe.com/message/5862010#5862010

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5862010#5862010

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/5862010#5862010. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in After Effects at Adobe Community

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/thread/416458?tstart=0.

• 3. Re: Weird extrusion
              MadJacko Level 1

Please see this image:

dd Adobe Forum image.jpg

Let me add to the original post: After creating a shape from vector layer in After Effects, I can set the extrusion depth, toggle on a 3-D layer, and extrude this object inasmuch as I see its extruded wire frame. However, the shape which I wish to extrude seems to remain flat, as though an image glued to one side of a box, How do I get this shape to take the depth or appearance of its wire frame? Ray tracing is active, and under Geometry options I have set an extrusion depth of 77. Adding two lights (not shown above) offers no improvement.

• 4. Re: Weird extrusion
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

AE and system info? I'd reset all your material options to start with. Will a text layer extrude? Are you sure you don't have a black stroke on your text layer. Try showing us a screenshot with transparency grid turned on.

Screen Shot 2013-11-21 at 5.48.06 PM.png

• 5. Re: Weird extrusion
                  MadJacko Level 1

Thanks. There are no text or material options problems. However, you put me onto the solution: a black stroke was blending with the background. The object appears as I would expect it to after I lightened the stroke and the background. Thanks for the valuable tip.

Two new, unrelated questions, please. First, how do I bring up a color picker so that I can match the color of the stroke to the yellow shown in my sample? Secondly, is there some way to warp or transform this same object into a 3-D cone? (Presumaby, the image would tilt "backwards," become slightly convex, and then rotate 360 degrees on the y-axis. I understand those operations, but not how to create a "still image" from manual rotation which stops as soon as I release the mouse. I suspect that I need a CAD program.)

• 6. Re: Weird extrusion
                    Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You get extrude and bevil edges and that's all. There are a few 3rd party plug-ins that will do what you want. Do you have CC? If so I would do what you are trying to do using C4d. If you don't, Blender (Open source and free) has fairly good integration with AE. I'd use a 3D app before a plug-in.

Just bring up the stroke color editor and you will see the eyedropper on the right side in the center. You can pick a color from anywhere with that.

colorPIcker.jpg

• 7. Re: Weird extrusion
                      MadJacko Level 1

You're good. Thanks.