5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2013 9:32 AM by DDcreams
      • 1. Re: How do you detect if internet is on or off?
        DDcreams Level 1

That is very tricky, the fact your asking,,, I'm going to assume you do not do any "server-side" scripting..? Understand there are only a few things you can do as far as checking the users "machine" on the "client-side" (edge, javascript, html), and I can tell you accessing network info is not one of them, you will need to learn the server side of the house to accomplish this and even then it would not be easy as network information is locked down tight..

• 2. Re: How do you detect if internet is on or off?
          TonyEllisMedia Level 1

Do I need to learn php to send a query to the mobile device and vice versa to check the conncetion?

Isn't this something that you can do with an iframe?

I could load an external icon.html image into edge animate and hardcode a www.whatever.com/icon_on.jpg

Make the icon.html constantly refresh and when it does not connect the icon would dissapear.

You could put something in an edge symbol and have it check the states if loaded stay on "0" else play "disconected" on the timeline....

Just an idea....

Please provide an example.

This is for and ipad to determine if the app is connected. Then communicate....

1 person found this helpful
          • 3. Re: How do you detect if internet is on or off?
            DDcreams Level 1

Learning PhP is a great start yes

iframe is just a web site within a web site, you may be able to have an iframe poll for connection but with the nature of web it will take a bit of work.

Understand that for mobile applications it is very easy to access that sort of info.. but you are talking web right now and that's another ball game.

Someone here might have an idea for an easy work around but I don't see one off the top of my head. Wish I could help more...

• 4. Re: How do you detect if internet is on or off?
              elainecc Adobe Employee

Hi, there, ae_komatsu-

I did a really quick bit of research, and it looks like there's no real way to do this via HTML, because the browser is generally sandboxed pretty heavily.  I'm not even sure server side scripting is going to help you for the same reason.  The only way, it looks, for you to do that is to access some iOS native APIs, which you can probably only do in full on application development.

-Elaine

1 person found this helpful
              • 5. Re: How do you detect if internet is on or off?
                DDcreams Level 1

Yeah I had a feeling this wouldn't be possible but I never do much Objective C/apple dev, web is on mobile very restrictive....

Applications may be the better solution to your problem, which means Objective C and programming.