31 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2014 1:32 PM by davejacobson

Red frame glitch/bug on renders out of AE

Graham Hutchins Level 1

Hello all,

Firstly, I'm on a fresh Mountain Lion install 10.8.5 on a Mac Pro 4,1 with 32 GB RAM, running the latest version of Adobe CC and using a GTX 570 video card (not using any CUDA raytracing, BTW), but this issue has also come up on a iMac 13,2 on 10.8.4 with 8 GB RAM and a GTX 675MX and again, on the latest version of Adobe CC.

The issue I'm having is that I will get random red frames when rendering out comps.  Sometimes it will be an entire red frame, sometimes it will only be certain pieces of the comp, depending on what's precomped.  It doesn't happen 100% of the time and I seem to be getting it while working in Premiere as well, both when I render the timeline and export.  I'm working with R3D footage, sometimes rendering out ProRes 4444 proxies to comp with, and always rendering to either ProRes 422 or 4444.

This was happening pretty frequently on my last OS install, but I recently (4 days ago) reinstalled the OS and things have been going fine until 30 mins ago.  Purging the memory and disk cache seems to help, sort of, but are we really going to have to live with doing this time wasting function just to make the software work how it's supposed to?

This is absolutely infuriating and completely unacceptable.  Both the initial AE CC release and the 12.1 update, in my experience, have had issues with rendering that borderline makes the software unusable.

If this is what we can expect out of CC, more frequent, but half-baked and poorly QCed "updates" that break the software, $50/month doesn't really seem like much of a value.  I can't use my scroll wheel to zoom the composition window anymore, how the hell did that bug get out the door?

Fix this Adobe, Smoke is looking better by the minute.

P.S.

Searching to problem solve this issue has been a nightmare.  If the frame had been any other color than red, I feel like my searches might have been a bit more fruitful.  Searching "red" and "render" sure does seem to bring up a lot about the Red camera.

• 1. Re: Red frame glitch/bug on renders out of AE
          dayonedesign

exact same issue here. Mac Pro 3,1 with a GTX 570. maddening.

• 2. Re: Red frame glitch/bug on renders out of AE
            Tim Kurkoski Adobe Employee

Red frames are almost always indicators that a frame from your source footage failed to render. (We've got a feature in the works for the future that replaces the red frame with a more helpful placeholder.)

Since you're using R3D footage, my guess is that during your render AE requested those frames but the R3D file read did not respond back quickly enough. No, this shouldn't happen. Please file a bug so we can get an official report of it. I'll now take a crack at some troubleshooting you can try, which may smooth things out.

If you RAM preview your comp through this frame, does it appear as expected? RAM preview at 100% and Full resolution, the same settings we assume your final render is using. This makes a difference because it will take longer for the full resolution frame to be calculated. BTW, what is the frame rate and frame size of these R3D's? What is the color space of your AE project? These make a difference: more data means longer render times.

Do you have multiprocssing (Render Multiple Frame Simultaneously) enabled in AE's preferences? This could make the problem slightly more likely to happen, as when the different processes are requesting frames I could also imagine a problem with the timing of either the frame being fetched from the R3D file by the sub-process or returned to the main AE process for assembly. Try disabling multiprocessing if you have it enabled, and let us know if that helps.

My primary suspicion relates to the read speed of the R3D frames, so I suggest you take a look at your hard drive speeds. Put the R3D files are on your fastest drive. Maybe run a speed test on the drive to make sure that it is running to specifcations. Also make sure that you don't have other processes running that could slow the machine down in general, and specifically are not slowing down the performance of the drive.

I can't use my scroll wheel to zoom the composition window anymore, how the hell did that bug get out the door?

You can blame me for that as much as anyone else, as I was testing scroll behaviors at a point when the relevant code was broken. The problem is limited to very slow scrolling, when you try to move the scroll value one click at a time. Scrolling in the comp window or anywhere else in the application works, but only once you move your finger fast enough that more than one scroll-wheel tick (or the equivalent touch gesture) is recognized. The down and dirty on this is that one of our software engineers made a change in our scroll-recognition code which accidentally rounded up the scroll speed value, so very small numbers (scroll speed < 1) are not recognized.

The good news is that I just tested the fix for that bug, and it will be in the update we're targeting to release in December of this year.

• 3. Re: Red frame glitch/bug on renders out of AE
              dayonedesign Level 1

Thanks for the reply Tim - v. helpful. Unlike Graham, I'm not using R3D footage, however the problems began once I started using comp proxies for a couple of 6000 x 4500 precomps. (The rendered proxy files are ProRes, and live on an SSD, the same SSD used for AE's cache. I just tried rendering with the proxies on a different ssd - I only got 1 red frame (as opposed to 6-10 - but sadly of course 1 is all it takes to ruin the render.) Still, this does point to the same overall issue you described with the R3Ds - the frames evidently aren't being read quickly enough...

(fwiw I have disabled multiprocessing, and tried rendering with nothing else running on the machine.)

• 4. Re: Red frame glitch/bug on renders out of AE

(fwiw I have disabled multiprocessing, and tried rendering with nothing else running on the machine.)

Do you still have the problem when multiprocessing is disabled?

The large size of the frames is my primary target, as that slows down the render in the way you think it would. What is unexpected, of course, are the red frames. This needs investigation and for that we need more detail from you.

Please also file a bug with your comp's details, as well as AE version, OS version, hardware specs, etc. etc. Feel free to reference this forum thread.

• 5. Re: Red frame glitch/bug on renders out of AE
                  dayonedesign Level 1

Yes, same problem with multiprocessing disabled. not sure whether that's a factor. will file the bug when through this deadline. (fyi, AE CC 12.1, OS X 10.8.5, Mac Pro 3,1 32GB Ram, 1920x1080 29.97 comp, rendering to ProRes 422). also, not 100% sure this matters, but last few renders the red frames only happened when reading from the latter portion of the precomp/proxy file.

• 6. Re: Red frame glitch/bug on renders out of AE
                    Graham Hutchins Level 1

Hi Tim,

Thank you for the response.

I did neglect to mention that in the case of the Premiere red frames, I was using 1080p29.97 AVCHD footage that had been transcoded to ProRes 422, as well as a motion background I had created at 108029.97 ProRes, with both just the background giving me the red frames as well as the timeline overall.  Getting the motion background out of AE was a bit of a chore as well.  Everything was generated in AE, no footage files to read from, and I was still getting red frames on render.

RAM previews look fine, but I'm also usually previewing at half or quarter res.  R3Ds are 4800x2700 23.976 Redcolor 3.  I'm not using color management in my project.  I've moved back to transcoding all my trimmed R3D media to ProRes 4444 for the sake of speed and the ProRes plate is the first shot on this OS install that gave me the red frame.

I do not have multiprocessing enabled; I rarely use this anyway when working with R3D footage.  It never really seems to work well for anything other than really simple comps with footage at or under 1920x1080, otherwise it hangs.  This is on my Mac Pro and a Dell T7600 with 128 GB of RAM I use at another office.  After Effects, in my opinion, needs a ground up rewrite for the render engine to address this.

The footage is on a 7200 rpm WD Black HDD with around 130-145 MB/s read/write.  I will say this, I have been rendering to the same drive as the footage I'm reading from.  I wonder if this is the culprit.  I'll have to do some testing.

• 7. Re: Red frame glitch/bug on renders out of AE

Graham, thanks for the details. Don't sweat the hard drive tests too much; I was chatting about this problem with a co-worker, and he mentioned that the Premiere team has been investigating problems with red frames occurring when reading or writing ProRes files. Sounds too similar to be a coincidence. So it's probably not the read speed issue with R3D frames that I was targeting. I'm waiting for more detail on the issue, but you might want to pop over to the Premiere forum and see what traffic is like about this problem.

Sorry no definitive answers right now, but it sounds like we've got a line of inquiry started on this one. Don't forget to file the bug.

• 8. Re: Red frame glitch/bug on renders out of AE
                        davejacobson Level 1

Tim,

We've also been having the issue with the red frames showing up in our renders.  They occasionally show up in RAM previews as well.  This only started happening after we upgraded to After Effects CC 12.1.  It's happening on multiple machines; iMacs and Mac Pros.  As a work around we've been saving the projects back to CS6 and renering in there (when possible).  It seems like the problem is worse when multiprocessing is enabled but it's definitely still present when disabled.  We primarily read and write ProRes HQ, ProRes 4444 files, and many other types of image files.  The red frames are never in the same place.  Some renders only have a couple, some have dozens.  It happens in even the simplest of comps.

Is there an easy way to revert back to After Effects CC 12.0 or would it require completely uninstalling and re-installing?  The problem is really slowing us down and we need a solution quickly.  Please advise!

Thanks,

Dave Jacobson

• 9. Re: Red frame glitch/bug on renders out of AE
                          dayonedesign Level 1

two more data points:

- I rendered a bunch of comps overnight with comp proxies disabled (10.8.5, AE CC 12.1). No red frames.

- I rendered the same comps on a retina MBP running 10.9. (also AE CC 12.1)- WITH proxies - No red frames.

• 10. Re: Red frame glitch/bug on renders out of AE

Thanks for the info guys. What I've learned is that we are investigating this issue in-house. It was introduced with a code change in the ProRes code used by AE 12.1 and Premiere Pro 7.1.  The intermittent nature of the problem makes it difficult to diagnose, though we have a good case right now and are moving forward with our investigation. That said, let me know if you can consistently reproduce the problem with the same footage. Otherwise, please hang tight and let us know if you find any workarounds.

On this Premiere forum thread, some users have reported that clearing their media cache (in AE: Preferences > Media & Disk Cache, click Clean Database & Cache) has helped with this problem. But one AE user on that thread noted it did not help him, so your mileage may vary.

I'll update this thread if I receive more data about the problem.

davejacobson wrote:

Is there an easy way to revert back to After Effects CC 12.0 or would it require completely uninstalling and re-installing?  The problem is really slowing us down and we need a solution quickly.  Please advise!

You can uninstall AE by running the uninstaller app in Applications > Utilities > Adobe Installers. However, when you use the Creative Cloud manager app to reinstall, it will automatically patch AE 12.0 to 12.1 as part of the install. (This behavior annoys me; I would much rather it give you the choice to accept the patch or not, the same as what happens when the application is installed prior to the patch being available. My understanding is that the team that builds the Creative Cloud manager is working on this functionality.)

If you could obtain the AE 12.0 installer, separate from the Creative Cloud manager, then you could install just AE 12.0 without the 12.1 patch. Adobe.com only appears to link into the Creative Cloud manager, but you may want to look for direct links over at ProDesignTools.com. In the past they have cut through the obfuscation of our web site with links directly to the software.

• 11. Re: Red frame glitch/bug on renders out of AE
                              hillary_knox Level 1

I too am encountering the red frame bug in both renders and RAM previews. I already submitted a bug report with my specific details. It sounds like you guys are on the case, but just let me add my voice and say please fix this as soon as possible. It sounds like it's a problem using ProRes source files...and I'm pretty sure there are *a lot* of people out there that use ProRes source files day in & day out. In the meantime, it sounds like I'll be working with DPX, TIFF, & JPEG image sequences. Hopefully that'll avoid the problem in the meantime.

Thanks!

• 12. Re: Red frame glitch/bug on renders out of AE
                                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

We've got a fix for this under development.

If all goes well, we should be able to get this fix out in an update very soon.

• 13. Re: Red frame glitch/bug on renders out of AE

The Premiere Pro and After Effects teams have fixed this problem. If all goes well, we expect to release an update later this week that will include this fix among many other improvements and bug fixes.

Under the hood, this was not an easy problem to resolve. The simplest way to describe it is a timing mismatch between QuickTime on Mac OS 10.8 and After Effects 12.1 and Premiere Pro 7.1. A change in the timing of how the applications request video frame decodes resulted in QuickTime randomly not returning frames as fast as expected. Apple has told us, and our testing has confirmed, that this problem does not occur on Mac OS 10.9 because in that OS they improved QuickTime's responsiveness to frame decode requests.

We're sorry for any frustration you've experienced due to this bug. This type of bug, where the problem occurs randomly and does not reproduce consistently, is among the hardest to diagnose and repair. We're looking forward to putting the fix in your hands.

1 person found this helpful
                                  • 14. Re: Red frame glitch/bug on renders out of AE
                                    dayonedesign Level 1

Tim, Todd,

Thanks very much for the update and information — helps to know the fix is coming soon, and also interesting and strangely reassuring to find out what was behind the bug.

Best,
                                    David

• 15. Re: Red frame glitch/bug on renders out of AE
                                      Graham Hutchins Level 1

This is great news.

While it's laudable that this crippling bug was sorted out in a relatively timely manner, I can't help but ponder if some kind of open or closed beta program wouldn't help to sniff out some of these bugs, while also allowing for a more open and meaningful discussion between the engineers designing and implementing CC and the people on the ground who actually use the software.

There are so many UI quirks in both AE and PP that if someone actually sat down and tried to complete a project from start to finish using something other than the mouse as an interface device, they would be patently obvious and would hopefully get the attention they deserve.  As it is now, there's a black hole that we drop our suggestions into and very little in the way feedback to know what's coming down the pipe until it arrives and there is this forum, which frankly, seems to be the faster of the two for getting anything done around here.

Again, thank you for addressing our concerns and having an open line of communication.

• 16. Re: Red frame glitch/bug on renders out of AE
                                        Todd_Kopriva Level 8

We have active prerelease testing programs for After Effects and Premiere Pro with hundreds of users.

But, still, sometimes bugs get through.

• 17. Re: Red frame glitch/bug on renders out of AE
                                          Graham Hutchins Level 1

"But, still, sometimes bugs get through."

If by sometimes, you mean everytime. I don't mean to be snarky and I hate to belabor the point, but every release and update of After Effects 12 has had some show stopping, workflow crippling bug in it, along with a host of new annoyances. For me, 12.0 was the "MooV file is damaged or unsupported", 12.1, it's this red frame glitch.

Please consider an open beta. It seems like hundreds of users testing isn't enough.

• 18. Re: Red frame glitch/bug on renders out of AE

[I was composing response while Todd and Graham also replied to the thread. Please forgive any temporal incoherencies in the discussion.]

Graham, I feel that to respond to you I need to explain, and to a certain extent defend, how the After Effects team does certain things. You have good reason to complain because you've been frustrated by bugs, and I'm sorry for that. I hope I can address your points by providing some insight into how we develop After Effects.

We do have a closed beta program. We receive a steady, daily stream of bug reports and feature requests from the users in the program, many of whom are long-time, extremely experienced After Effects users who earn a living using this application and care about it just as much as we do. We are very grateful for the time they invest in helping us to improve After Effects.

When you fill out the Feature Request and Bug Report Form, which I encourage you to do every time you see a problem, those reports are looked at by human eyes. Specifically, feature requests go to Todd Kopriva, who collates them into our product backlog for consideration. Bug reports go to Dan Ramirez, who compares them to our known bugs or tries to reproduce them if the bug appears to be new.

Also, when you experience a crash in After Effects, if you click the button to send the report to Adobe (please always do that and include a short description of the conditions before the crash and your e-mail address), that report goes to Paul Uusitalo, who compiles our crash report statistics and identifies where the crashes are occurring. We have invested significant effort in the past few versions to decrease the crash rate, and Paul's statistics show that we are succeeding.

Because Todd, Dan, and Paul (and myself) are busy people, they don't write back to acknowledge every report received. Dan and Paul may reply to ask you for more information about the conditions of a reported bug or crash. Please reply to them if you receive a message from an Adobe.com e-mail address.

And while I'm making requests, please opt into the Adobe Product Improvement Program. It really does help.

I trust you now understand that we value all of the feedback we get and that it's not going into a "black hole". It's just mostly a one-way process. Todd and I put effort into communicating with you via this forum, other forums and social media because it's another good way of gathering data about problems people experience with After Effects. But there is far more traffic than we can give attention to and the most severe issues consume the limited time we can give.

(Todd once posted a very similar post on the AE team blog, which I encourage you to subscribe to.)

This is a good opportunity to point out how small the After Effects team is: we total about 30 people, including management.

Our small size is one of the reasons why an open beta program is not practical for us. In order to manage such a program you need staff tasked to managing it; the AE team simply don't have the bandwidth. Also, public beta programs don't gain you very much data compared to a closed beta program; there are a limited number of people who will share their time to test new features and file bug reports in-between their regular work. Adobe has done, and currently runs, open beta programs for select applications but for After Effects it does not make sense for us to do so at this time.

On the topic of bugs and why they are released to the public in After Effects or any other application, ASQ's Knoweldge Center is a good place to start learning about software quality assurance and it's role in the software development process.

Regarding the two QuickTime problems you recently encountered, I'm sorry that you've had that experience. Besides QuickTime, the common trait between these problems is that they were dependent on a narrow set of conditions and did not reproduce consistently, a double-shotgun blast of complexity that made them difficult to find, isolate and fix. If you like I will be happy to explain more technical detail about these issues and the shifting sands of QuickTime.

Graham, if you'd like to know more about the AE team and our processes, I invite you to start a new thread on this forum to ask specific questions.

• 19. Re: Red frame glitch/bug on renders out of AE
                                              hillary_knox Level 1

Thank you AE team for this great response to this issue.

I have to say, the criticism I've been reading with regard to this bug has

been a little over the top. While the red-frame bug has certainly been

inconvenient, to classify it as "crippling" or "show-stopping" is

melodramatic and, quite frankly, an annoying waste of bandwidth. Within ten

minutes of discovering the red-frame render bug was a semi-consistent thing

on my system, I had a workaround in place that involved DPX/TIFF/JPEG image

sequences which were quickly passed through Media Encoder for the QuickTime

render.  An extra step and an annoyance, to be sure, but not crippling or

show-stopping.

I know that the AE development team has an obligation to be

professionally diplomatic about this kind of thing, but Graham,

seriously, gimme a break. QuickTime is historically renowned for these

kinds of issues - it's only slightly more (or less) than a fluke that it

has such widespread professional use & acceptance, and I'm not a bit

surprised by the explanation.

The bottom line is, in the current reality, the price:performance ratio of

AE is incomparable to any piece of professional video production/motion

graphics/visual effects software, no matter what bugs might pop up, short

of "render is broken". I'm sorry you found this bug so debilitating, but it

might do you some good to count your blessings rather than the bugs. This

thing was easily work-around-able. We work with software. It's just a

reality that sometimes you have to take one step back after three steps

forward. If your deadlines are that critical, I would suggest a much more

conservative approach to upgrading. You can still get great work done in

CS6.

• 20. Re: Red frame glitch/bug on renders out of AE

We released the After Effects CC (12.2) update yesterday, which includes the fix for this issue with red frames in ProRes files.

Please install the update and let us know how it works for you.

• 21. Re: Red frame glitch/bug on renders out of AE
                                                  Graham Hutchins Level 1

Hi Hillary,

I appreciate your response and yes, now that this bug is/was a known entity, it is a "simple" workaround.  At the time I discovered the ProRes read bug in the 12.0 release and this red frame glitch in the 12.1 release, things were not so clear.

I can't speak to the kind of workflow you're implementing, but the workflows in which I'm involved use ProRes as intermediate formats and deliverables.  When I'm delivering double digit numbers of shots a day at 4K and 5K resolutions to be either incorporated into a cut or passed along to or from a colorist, to say that being unable to read or write to ProRes in AE and Premiere is "crippling" is an accurate statement in my mind and certainly "show stopping" at the time of discovery.  A generation loss and the subsequent storage and time hit involved rendering out intermediate 4K and 5K image sequences on potentially dozens of shots a day is a very real issue, and not what I would consider "melodramatic".  I guess I was trying to drive home the point that Adobe should consider an open beta program, in which I would happily participate (but upon further reflection, I believe all of us who update to be actively participating) :/

Regarding being up to date on the latest versions, part of the sales pitch of Adobe CC is the fact that it purportedly enables Adobe to release updates at a faster pace, which, laudably, they've been doing, but if ProRes is the centerpiece of your workflow, there hadn't been a fully functioning version of AE CC for almost 6 months.  You are correct, CS6 still works, and that was the workaround for me for 12.0 last June.  This thread is about AE 12.1, not CS6.

I have nothing but high hopes for the direction that After Effects can go and 100% appreciate the work the development teams are doing.  Again, thank you for your response and your comments are definitely taken to heart.

Message was edited by: Graham Hutchins : spelling

• 22. Re: Red frame glitch/bug on renders out of AE
                                                    hillary_knox Level 1

So, I hate to have to be the one to say this, but I just encountered the Pro Res red frame bug again.

It happened after I did a Warp Stabilize and needed to do an intermediate render. The source was ProRes HQ, and the intermediate render was to ProRes HQ. I can't recall if I used BG Render or rendered straight from AE, sorry. In the heat of the moment, I just rendered everything to DPX and AME'd it to ProRes.

Just because I had time & curiosity, later on, I sent it to the AME queue from AE just to see what would happen and the problem didn't appear to occur.

If you need any more information, let me know.

Sorry, I should have said that this is on the latest v12.2, in case that question pops up.

• 23. Re: Red frame glitch/bug on renders out of AE

Sorry you bumped in to this again, Hillary. If it continues to happen, please take note of the details for us. Red frames indicate a failed read from the source, so if there's a case that is not fixed by the After Effects CC (12.2) update then we need to isolate it.

That original fix was a timing issue around reading ProRes, which Apple has assured us only occurs in Mac OS 10.8, and we fixed it by allowing Mac OS more time to respond. My suspicion is that any further instances of red frames from ProRes files are not related to this specific bug and fix, but some other, similar issue that is causing Mac OS not to respond quickly or After Effects not waiting long enough for the frame. Factors like the render time for each frame, whether BG Renderer is in use and reading the same ProRes file at the same time as After Effects, whether multiprocessing is enabled in After Effects, and the load on the system (processor and memory usage) will be important.

• 24. Re: Red frame glitch/bug on renders out of AE
                                                        hillary_knox Level 1

If it happens again you'll be the first to know. I'd be willing to bet (a

small amount of money) that it may be somehow related to multiprocessing,

since disabling MP fixed the RAM preview issue that started happening

almost simultaneously as the red frame thing last night.

As I said, the red frames didn't happen when rendering via AME or rendering

DPXs.

Thanks for the quick replies

• 25. Re: Red frame glitch/bug on renders out of AE
                                                          davejacobson Level 1

I also just ran into the red frame glitch a few minutes ago.  My timeline contained  a ProRes4444 source where the red frame occurred.  I was rendering out to ProRes4444 as well.  All my source files are on my local raid.

I've been running AE 12.2 for a couple weeks now and this is the first red frame I've come across in all my renders.  AE 12.1 used to render dozens of red frames in just about every file so the issue has dramatically improved between versions.

After Effects 12.2.0.52

Mac Pro 5,1 12-core

48GB RAM

GTX 680

OS X 10.8

Multiprocessing enabled:  actual CPUs = 6, 4GB per CPU

Thanks!

• 26. Re: Red frame glitch/bug on renders out of AE

Dave,

Are you able to reproduce the problem? Is there any consistency to it? (File type/format/codec, specific files, location of the files, memory usage during the render, etc.)

Does the problem change if you disable multiprocessing?

• 27. Re: Red frame glitch/bug on renders out of AE
                                                              davejacobson Level 1

Hi Tim,

The problem does not reproduce consistently.  I deleted the render containing the red frame, duplicated the render queue item, and rendered to the exact same filepath and filename using exactly the same render/codec settings.  I did not adjust any multiprocessing preferences. No red frames appeared the second time around.

The red frames never appear in the same place when I re-render the files.  In 12.1 the red frames occoured in almost every render (it did seem like there were fewer red frames in each render when multiprocessing was disabled).  Since I've upgraded to 12.2 I see the red frame glitch in less than 1 out of 100 renders.

Could this be related to the timing issue you've mentioned above?  The local raid I work off of is used by other After Effects users in our facility so there's no telling if it was working harder during the render that resulted in the red frame.

Thanks!

• 28. Re: Red frame glitch/bug on renders out of AE

davejacobson wrote:

Could this be related to the timing issue you've mentioned above?  The local raid I work off of is used by other After Effects users in our facility so there's no telling if it was working harder during the render that resulted in the red frame.

I can't predict what might happen in this situation. If the request for the frame is waiting because the drive is busy, or because another user has the requested file open, then I could imagine the same result could occur, yes.

Can you guess as to whether or not either of these conditions (multiple users on the drive and/or the same file in use by multiple users) occurred when you got the red frame?

• 29. Re: Red frame glitch/bug on renders out of AE
                                                                  davejacobson Level 1

I can confirm there were two users on the drive, however we were accessing different projects / files.

• 30. Re: Red frame glitch/bug on renders out of AE

Thanks. Keep us updated if you see the problem again, and the conditions under which it happened.

To confirm: you're using Mac OS 10.8, correct?

• 31. Re: Red frame glitch/bug on renders out of AE
                                                                      davejacobson Level 1

Yes, I'm running Mac OS 10.8.4.  I'll let you know if the problems continues to occur.  Thanks!