3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2013 12:30 PM by eossipov

How can I add a local font on my computer to Edge

Willem Buijs Level 1

Hi,

I'm looking for a way to add a font, that is installed locally on my own harddrive, to the Edge-interface.

I want to use a specific font, not the ones that are already available in Edge, and not one off the available webfonts.

Thanks

• 1. Re: How can I add a local font on my computer to Edge
          DDcreams

There may be a way... but you should know you can also use any number of online font libraries not just edge fonts, http://www.google.com/fonts has a huge database alone, You may find a similar font... I haven't looked into how opentype and other formats are imported into edge, but normally its a pain due to having to worry about the metrics(code). Wish I could help more Goodluck..

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How can I add a local font on my computer to Edge
            elainecc Adobe Employee

Hi, Willem-

You can use a local CSS file to reference your font, and then package the font up with a service like FontSquirrel.  Please note that you will need to confirm that you are licensed to serve that font.  If you want to add an arbitray font that you want to use if the user has it on his local system, you can also do that by simply adding the font name to the font-family.

This thread might be helpful:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4894075#4894075

Thanks,

-Elaine

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: How can I add a local font on my computer to Edge
              eossipov Level 1

Here's a nice html page you can use for your local web fonts, I couldn't remember where I got it, but it's (c)fontfont.com  so I guess that would be it.   Since I am shareing in it's entirety and not sharing the fonts, only the page, I believe the (c) issue is *not* an issue. :) ~enjoy~   (p.s. everytime I get a new webfront I add it to the page so I can see them all easily, )  Now that we can add both types of desktop fonts to webpages, ( the ttf and otf ) in the same manner it may get a little crowded out there. :)  ~elaine o.

Web Font Specimen

CalaLig

Rob was the king of crazy DJ mixtapes. He loved squirrels more than gophers and chipmunks.

72px

Rob was the king of crazy DJ mixtapes. He loved squirrels more than gophers and chipmunks.

48px

36px

28px

24px

20px

16px

Or try your own text:

Because the Earth’s axis is tilted relative to                               its orbital plane, sunlight is incident at different angles at different times of the year. In June                               the Northern Hemisphere is tilted towards the sun, so at any given Northern Hemisphere latitude                               sunlight falls more directly on that spot than in December.                               Over thousands to hundreds of thousands of years, changes in Earth’s orbital parameters affect the                               amount and distribution of solar energy received by the Earth and influence long-term climate. The                               uneven solar heating (the formation of zones of temperature and moisture gradients, or ‘frontogenesis’)                               can also be due to the weather itself in the form of cloudiness and precipitation. Higher altitudes                               are cooler than lower altitudes, which is explained by the lapse rate. On local scales, temperature                               differences can occur because different surfaces – such as oceans, forests, ice sheets, or man-made                               objects – have differing physical characteristics such as reflectivity, roughness, or moisture content.

Because the Earth’s axis is tilted relative to                               its orbital plane, sunlight is incident at different angles at different times of the year. In June                               the Northern Hemisphere is tilted towards the sun, so at any given Northern Hemisphere latitude                               sunlight falls more directly on that spot than in December.                               Over thousands to hundreds of thousands of years, changes in Earth’s orbital parameters affect the                               amount and distribution of solar energy received by the Earth and influence long-term climate. The                               uneven solar heating (the formation of zones of temperature and moisture gradients, or ‘frontogenesis’)                               can also be due to the weather itself in the form of cloudiness and precipitation. Higher altitudes                               are cooler than lower altitudes, which is explained by the lapse rate. On local scales, temperature                               differences can occur because different surfaces – such as oceans, forests, ice sheets, or man-made                               objects – have differing physical characteristics such as reflectivity, roughness, or moisture content.

13px

17px

42px

Upload the fonts into the same folder as your CSS file and copy this code into your CSS:

/* first for IE 4–8 */@font-face {
                font-family: CalaLig;
                src: url("CalaLigWeb.eot");
              }

/* then for WOFF-capable browsers */@font-face {
                font-family: CalaLig;
                src: url("CalaLigWeb.woff") format("woff");
              }

/* go on with normal style definitions */body { 
                font-family: CalaLig, sans-serif;
              }

© 2013 FontShop. All rights reserved.                     Webfont & OpenType User Guides (PDF, 330 KB)