7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2013 9:50 AM by susanbauerlee72

Problem exporting PDF

susanbauerlee72

I'm having a problem exporting from InDesign to a PDF. In the last 48 hours I've tried to export from 3 different sections (separate files) of a publication, and as it gets to the end of the export, the process hangs up. The PDF file generated appears to be complete, but InDesign is still hung up on completing the export. The dialog box shows "Finishing document - Generating PDF."

For production our press requires individual PDFs for each page, and I am able to get 2 pages exported, and then InDesign hangs up on the 3rd and I have to force quit to get out of it. But it still generates a complete PDF. When I go back into the document, and try to generate the following page, it hangs up again.

A couple of weeks ago, between issues, I upgraded to Maverick, and this is the first time I've had to export to PDFs since upgrading. The problem probably started before now and I just didn't notice when I exported for proofing... I recall the hangup happening maybe once last week, but I chalked it up to a temporary ad glitch. But, now it's happening with all 3 sections of the issue, almost every page, and I'm at a loss.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Details: MacBook pro 15" 8gb 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7, System 10.9, Adobe CS 5.5, Suitcase Fusion 5

• 1. Re: Problem exporting PDF
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Is InDesign updated to the 7.5.3 patch? There were some problems with background export hangs...

• 2. Re: Problem exporting PDF
            susanbauerlee72 Level 1

yes.... upgraded to 7.5.3

• 3. Re: Problem exporting PDF
              susanbauerlee72 Level 1

I was just exporting the features section, which is 32 pages. The problem was happening with each page in the single InDesign file that contained all 3 stories, so I saved the file into individual story files and started exporting from the 3rd feature from it's own InDesign file. I was able to get to the 4th page when InDesign hung up again.

So, i force quit and went to the second feature file and tried exporting from that file and InDesign hung up on the 3rd page.

• 4. Re: Problem exporting PDF
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You might want to try a foreground export. I think there's a script around, maybe at InDesignSecrets.com to toggle it, or you can add it a Book (.indb) file and export in the foreground from the Book panel.

Also see Adobe Community: File Crashing on Output - printing/PDF/other

• 5. Re: Problem exporting PDF
                  susanbauerlee72 Level 1

I had put that script into action long while back, but had totally forgotten about it. So, I am actually exporting in the foreground.

I was on deadline today, and since the press needs individual pdfs for each page, it looked like i was going to have to export each page, force quit InDesign, restart and export the next page, force quit, restart, for 80 pages.

Thing is... InDesign was actually generating a useable pdf before it hit the hangup. I opened each file, preflighted them, and none of them presented any problems. But, once InDesign hit a hangup whilst exporting, force quit was the only way to get out of it.

I finally exported a batch of pages to a single PDF, then force quit InDesign and then opened that PDF in Acrobat and extracted individual page files from there, and that worked just fine.

And now that the magazine is out of my hands, i've spent the evening trying to track down the problem. I suspect that it may be a font issue, but the hangup was inconsistent within the document I was exporting, i.e. several times i was able to export pages that contained the font without the hangup at the end of the process.

any suggestions what I can do short of dumping this font before the next issue?

thanks!

• 6. Re: Problem exporting PDF
                    Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@Susan – you could test the following script:

Uwe Laubender

ExportPDF_in_Foreground.jsx

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4526773#4526773

Maybe it will not work, if it's a font issue.

But worth a try…

Is changing the font an option here?
                    Maybe it went corrupt. Did you reinstall the font?

Uwe

• 7. Re: Problem exporting PDF
                      susanbauerlee72 Level 1

background pdf export gave me major hassles a long time ago, so i deployed the script and have been exporting in the foreground for a while.

since i also have to export pdfs for online and app publication, this morning i  attempted to export a single pdf from the book (.indb file), which containes the 3 documents that make up the magazine. all pages exported to a single pdf properly and didn't appear to hit the hangup, but when i started to close the 3 files, InDesign started acting wonky and then gave me the following message: "Adobe InDesign is shutting down. A serious error was detected. Please restart..." I didn't write down the rest of the message... you get the gist. 

this error message is actually what started it all a few days ago, before the hangups began. I lost about 12 hours of work, and upon re-constructing the section in question, i thought I had narrowed it down to a specific ad file (pdf), so i converted it to a tiff and went about my business.  but after that, the inconsistent pdf export hangups began.

anyway, the pdf i was able to generate this morning is complete and appears to be without problems. i will have to export individual pages from Acrobat, but that's part of the process for online distribution anyway.

I ran Font Doctor and the fonts in question didn't indicate as corrupted. I think i may take this opportunity to change this magazine's standard fonts, anyway, but i was just wondering if anyone had any further insight or recommendations. i reckon it's been a long time since i've had a font spontaneously corrupt and wreck such havoc.

thanks.