1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 21, 2013 2:16 PM by Amy Blankenship

Flash tool Problems

Dinkelion

Using CS3

Technical difficulty questions:

Why is is that the pen tool will sometimes at random suddenly look like a thicker line size when the tool hasn't been tampered with at all? This does not have to do with the effect of Zooming out and noticing how the line tool thickens.

Why is it that when setting up hotkeys that the program not only fails to remember right after editting/ or saving your hotkeys, but also, starts to shuffle the hotkeys to other already used hotkeys (this is something that flash is doing with all the computers in the studio I work in)  It usually will take me 4 - 5 tries of resetting all of the hotkeys I've organized just because  I wanted to add a new hotkey. Is there something to prevent this, or a reason why this happens?

At random again, there are times when tweening a symbol, it automatically syncs itself, which really screws things up if you are using single frames in the animation. (because as we all know, the syncing option automatically sets the tweened animation to be the same frame instance as the previous keys if it is single framed) How do you solve that problem because unsync options doesn't really help when you literally have to go to each key pose and indivually reset the frame instance to the frame you wanted it at originally before having tweened it.

Just mechanical questions:

I've been trying to deal creating masks for eye symbols my problem is that after creating 50+ different instances of an eye blinks/expressions I want to be able to copy this entire symbol and just rename it, while keeping all the instances of these eye blinks and shapes exactly in the same place as the original eye blink symbol.  So copying the frames inside the symbol and just pasting them into a newly made symbol doesn't help because pasting and then turning it into a symbol the usual way creates problems like the size of all these eye blinks become too big/small/ or all too far too the left/right (which ultimately would force me to very carefully try to position the symbol over top of the original eye shape to match it perfectly to accomplish seamless masking. So my question is: Is there a simple way of duplicating a symbol so that it is unparented/doesn't effect the symbol that it was duplicated from.

is there a way to change the default line options (ie: rather than always having at line width 1, join: rounded, cap: rounded)

is there a way to change the 'J' hotkey ( when working it also happens to randomly switch to object drawing which gets very tedious when it's unwanted, weather I accidentally press the 'J' button or not when switching between the brush (B), Line (Y) or straight line (N) tools (and others)) I've checked hot keys trying to change it, but it doesn't seem to be an option available to change it to another hot key.

• 1. Re: Flash tool Problems
          Amy Blankenship Level 4

I can't answer all your questions, but I'll tell you what I can about the ones I know a bit about.

Why is it that when setting up hotkeys that the program not only fails to remember right after editting/ or saving your hotkeys, but also, starts to shuffle the hotkeys to other already used hotkeys (this is something that flash is doing with all the computers in the studio I work in)  It usually will take me 4 - 5 tries of resetting all of the hotkeys I've organized just because  I wanted to add a new hotkey. Is there something to prevent this, or a reason why this happens

This seems to only happen to me if I'm assigning a hot key that was already used to something new. This seems to "shift" all the hot keys that followed the original hot key. The solution is that when you get a warning that the hot key was previously used, pick something else. This kind of sucks if you really wanted that hot key, but that's the only thing I have found that works.

Just mechanical questions:

I've been trying to deal creating masks for eye symbols my problem is that after creating 50+ different instances of an eye blinks/expressions I want to be able to copy this entire symbol and just rename it, while keeping all the instances of these eye blinks and shapes exactly in the same place as the original eye blink symbol.  So copying the frames inside the symbol and just pasting them into a newly made symbol doesn't help because pasting and then turning it into a symbol the usual way creates problems like the size of all these eye blinks become too big/small/ or all too far too the left/right (which ultimately would force me to very carefully try to position the symbol over top of the original eye shape to match it perfectly to accomplish seamless masking. So my question is: Is there a simple way of duplicating a symbol so that it is unparented/doesn't effect the symbol that it was duplicated from.

For this, I use Swap Instance for Duplicate Symbol. Usually I already have an instance on stage that I want to use this on, but sometimes I'll just drag one on and run the command, since it works so much better than duplicating the symbol in the library. Once I have a duplicate symbol, then I can go inside it and swap any inner instances for duplicate symbols all the way down until I've finished my edits.

1 person found this helpful