4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2013 2:18 PM by Peter Spier

Booklet View for designing, is there a way?

PFreeman008

I'm the design editor of a small newspaper, and we have a neat design we'd like to use for the next issue; however I'm uncertian as to how to get InDesign set up so that we can lay it out. Bassically we are running a special feature story on the front & back of one of the sections; but we want to be able to run the photographs and maybe even some text across the spine from the front page (B1) onto the back page (B8). I've talked to our printer & he said that there isn't anything preventing them from printing a design like that, but he doesn't know how to set it up in InDesign. I know that for books & such you usually design the cover in a seperate document; however because we will have copy on these pages we may need to jump the copy inside and so it needs to be in the same document as the rest of the section to allow for text threading.

thanks!

Peter Hochgraf

Design Editor

Washtenaw Voice

PS; we're using CS6 in the office.

• 1. Re: Booklet View for designing, is there a way?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Have you started the project? If not, in the pages panel select the first page, open the numbering and section options and change the start number to 8, then select the second page and create a new section starting at 1.

If you've already started, drag page 8 in of page 1 in the panel, then fix the sections and numbering.

• 2. Re: Booklet View for designing, is there a way?

that should be drag page 8 in front of page 1...

• 3. Re: Booklet View for designing, is there a way?
              Daniel Flavin Level 4

It can be a stumble to set a first two pages in spread view.

InDesign will balk at starting with a left hand facing page with an odd page number. I changed the document's Start numbering to 2 to accomplish, as Peter stated, drag the last page in front of the first in the Pages Panel.

Note that any images which cross the spread/spine will need to be duplicated; one instance on each page.

I accomplish this by copying the object, perform a Paste In Place, and (possibly not necessary) drag the container frame to the page edge.

The last step of this document would involve draging the first page to the end of the document & changing the start numbering to preserve auto page numbering.

Verify these steps with your printer.

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

• 4. Re: Booklet View for designing, is there a way?

Daniel Flavin wrote:

Note that any images which cross the spread/spine will need to be duplicated; one instance on each page.

Not at all. One can either export this spread as, wait for it... a spread, or continue to export as single pages without rearranging the pages again (you can move it to the end in Acrobat, if you're worried). There was I reason I used 8 for the first left-hand page, rather than 2 or some other even number. It flags it as the 8th page and also allows for auto numbering to work, if that's in use.

The important thing here is that the printer needs to know what you're doing, and it sounds like that's no problem.