5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2013 5:31 PM by Netcommercial

Shape layer, stroke, merge and animate cs6

Netcommercial Level 1

Hi All,

I cannot get my open stroke to merge and to then follow my shape layer's mask paths KF-ing.

I am trying to create lashes on this eye-lid (using repeater) and I want that open stroke repeated to follow the ' blink' of the lid. Please if you would let me know what I need to do, to get the eye lash (open stroke) to merge with the shape layer's stroke and to follow it's animation of a Blink. (see pic) if that was not clear.

Thanks,

NC

lash.GIF

• 1. Re: Shape layer, stroke, merge and animate cs6
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There's no way to automatically tie the strokes to the edge of a path but you can drag each stroke path into a single shape layer so you can animate the group as one object. You could then use expressions to tie position to a null scale that is used to animate the eyelid. I hope that makes sense.

Screen Shot 2013-11-21 at 5.35.30 PM.png

• 2. Re: Shape layer, stroke, merge and animate cs6
            Netcommercial Level 1

Hi Rick,

Hope all is well on your end....

YOU- "drag each stroke path into a single shape layer so you can animate the group as one object."

ME- I tried to create a stroke and then drag it into the one shape layer (in my case named Shape lid) However, the stroke will not follow the animation. Soooo.....

YOU-"You could then use expressions to tie position to a null scale."

Me- I do not understand how to Express the Stroke to the existing 'shape-lid' as there is no S,W / animator on the stroke to Express? Furthermore the Null scale? Position, OK; if I could figure where to express to, but was that a typo or am I not getting you?

I know I can create a shape layer, such as an elipse, I can then create a rectange or use an open stroke to make 'tick' marks as you would see on a clock. I need only to create one tick mark, then use repeater, remove it's Transform position to 0 and then use rotation to spread amount by parameter. 360. If I use Merge Path I can get then all to follow rotation if I decide to rotate the elipse or anmate on and off, 'forget the animator/ name ATM.

Is it the fact I used a Mask to create the eye lid is why I cannot get the same affect? _If that made sense?

• 3. Re: Shape layer, stroke, merge and animate cs6
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Take a look at this CS6 project file.

That will get you started. I just drew an eyelid and then added several eyelashes with the pen tool. All of the paths were drug up under the fill for path 1, the eyelid. The stroke was drug to the bottom. The anchor point was placed at the apex of the top curve for the eyelid and scale was animated. Bulge was added and adjusted to change the shape of the eyelid bottom edge as the eye closes. An expression was added to tie the position of the bulge center to the Transform Shape 1 position. That's it. Took about 5 minutes.

blink.jpg

• 4. Re: Shape layer, stroke, merge and animate cs6
                Netcommercial Level 1

Thank you for taking the time to demo this, Rick. It is really appreciated. Your 5 minutes translated into my 2 hours ++ trying different methods to no avail.  "Get this man a Drumstick" As Madden used to say.

• 5. Re: Shape layer, stroke, merge and animate cs6
                  Netcommercial Level 1

Hi Rick,

After playing with the AE file you sent. Thanks again.

I see you used the Scale feature under it's Transform Shape Animator to get a uniform movement of the lash and lid. Then adjusted using skew if need be.

Whereby using the Transform Shape> Scale property,  anything in that Shape Layer will follow. As in my example of the elipse and tick marks would do.

Conversely, by  trying to KF a mask, I lose that transform option when animating a mask via KF'ing.

Due to my lid not being animated via the Transform:Shape Animator. Hence the lashes not 'coming along for the ride' in spite of them being in the same shape layer group!

I do understand the Anchor Point of the Lid itself of where it pivots from etc.

-You then used the Expression for value+ of the Buldge effects Horiz & Vert Radious

(Not sure about CONTENT j.s parameter)-is that for Scale?

This way the Buldge effects center position follows any movement my shape layer does, either by Kf'ing or by Qw parenting? IE Head movement.

Or did I miss something Professor?

Bare with me now, I have only been using AE for 11 months.  I know you guys have been banging away at this since Cs3 or longer. So IF my questions are laughable this is why.

Thanks again and look forward to your reply,

NC