13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2013 2:29 AM by DanielWildeyPhotography

Timelapse issue in PE10

DanielWildeyPhotography

Apologies if this has been asked before, but it seems a fairly specific problem. I've exported a timelapse from lightroom 4 (using the slideshow module)  and the resulting mp4 plays fine. Then I used the timelapse sequences in a PE10 film, and the exported final film (mp4 again) shows a weird flickering  in the timelapse sequences. I don't think this is the normal 'flicker' problem, as it isn't present on the original mp4 file, but only after processing in PE10.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Happy to provide additional info, but I wasn't sure what info was relevant...

Thanks

• 1. Re: Timelapse issue in PE10
          DanielWildeyPhotography Level 1

Something that probably is relevant is frame rate - both files were exported at 24 frames per second....

• 2. Re: Timelapse issue in PE10
            A.T. Romano Level 7

DanielWildeyPhotography

Other than .mp4 from Lightroom Slideshow Module, what are the properties of that .mp4 coming from Lightroom...

video compression, probably AVCHD

audio compression, probably AAC Stereo

frame size - 720p or other

frame rate

pixel aspect ratio

duration

What project preset are setting in Premiere Elements 10 for this project into which the Lightroom .mp4 is going?

What is your Premiere Elements 10 export details:

Share/...../..... as well as the details of the settings under the Advanced Button of preset selected? You did write that the frame rate of the export is 24 frames per second.

Looking forward to more details to define the situation and resolve it.

Thank you.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Timelapse issue in PE10

Hi thanks very much for a quick reply! As far as the mp4 coming out of lightroom, I can't get any details on compression - I used the 24fps preset and saved it at 1080p, which seems to be as much control as is possible. Frame size/aspect ratio is 1080 x 1920, frame rate 24fps, and the duration is 10 seconds ( I have 3 such clips with the same properties, and all were used in the final Elements edit).

As for the Elements properties, I'm not aware that I'm using any presets...! I used the advanced module to start from scratch. The export was done under the AVCHD heading, as MP4 H264 1920 x 1080 24. Audio is set at AAC and the duration is 1 min 11 secs.

I hope this info gives you enough to go on - if you need more info let me know!

• 4. Re: Timelapse issue in PE10

I think I just discovered what you mean by project preset - I think it was set to AVCHD 1080 60. Having looked at the options, maybe it should have been set on the DSLR preset at 24fps since all my footage is from a Nikon D600....?

• 5. Re: Timelapse issue in PE10
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

DanielWildey

In 2012 I looked at Lightroom 4.1 Slideshow Module. My details of its exports can be found

http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?p=629915

I did not see a 1080p export with a 24 progressive frames per second. In fact, note that I wrote

3. Both 720p and 1080p appear to be misrepresented in that the name implies progressive scan video export whereas the MediaInfo properties readout for these exports show that the video is interlaced scan video with top field first. The matter of interlaced or progressive scanned video goes to playback flicker and the like. The following appeared to me to be a great beginner’s, yet comprehensive, guide to interlace and progressive and all of that with computer and TV viewing in mind.

http://neuron2.net/LVG/interlacing.html

I have not looked at Lightroom (any version) since.

So, first determine the properties of this Lightroom video (probably AVCHD.mp4) that you want to take to the Premiere Elements 10.

If you have 1920 x 1080 @ 24 progressive frames per second and your set up is NTSC, then the project preset should be:

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p24

If you have 1920 x 1080 @ 24 interlaced frames per second and your set up is NTSC, then I would consider

NTSC

AVCHD

Full 1080i30

and deal with the frame rate in the export.

If you have 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second and your set up is NTSC, then

NTSC

AVCHD

Full 1080i30

Please check out those details and then we can decide if this factor is involved in your issues.

MediaInfo will give us all the details on field type, field order, etc. But, be careful in the install of that and other program to avoid bloatware.

http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Timelapse issue in PE10

ATR, you are a legend and I really appreciate your detailed advice. However I'm not sure I entirely follow it!

I was a bit concerned about downloading the mediainfo software after your warning, so I simply tried to alter my presets, and tried both of your suggestions, but neither worked...  So I'm still none the wiser as to whether the LR export is progressive or interlaced (don't Adobe have the answer to that - I couldn't find it anywhere...?)

Could the issue be that the files are being compressed twice (once by LR and then again in PE10)?

As a work around for now I'm going to have to import all the jpgs into PE10 and just set the image duration to 1 frame - let's hope that works for now!!

If you have any further advice it would be much appreciated!

• 7. Re: Timelapse issue in PE10
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

DanielWildey

I am going to do the unthinkable for this Elements person. I am going to download and install the tryout version of Lightroom and revisit its Slideshow Module to see if anything has changed since my last visit to Lightroom 4.1 in 2012.

In the meanwhile, just in case, here are the links to my blog posts on Premiere Elements and Time Lapse.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/07/pe-time-lapse-video-basics.html

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/08/pe-numbered-stills-in-time-lapse-and.html

In the final analysis the project setup may not be the culprit in your joint venture between Lightroom and Premiere Elements, but this factor needs to be ruled in or out to plan a troubleshooting strategy with a firm base.

More later.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Timelapse issue in PE10
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

DanielWidley

Just an update.

I have downloaded and installed the tryout of Lightroom 5.2 64 bit and am just navigating my way through the program.

From what I can tell, if you have not added any specific presets to the program and you select the 1080p slideshow export choice, you end up with 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second (the still duration is as set in the right column under Playback). And, the shortest still duration that you can set is 1.0 second (range 1.0 to 20.0 seconds).

So, I am assuming that you have imported and installed some user preset for your Timelapse. If that is so, what is the still duration that it allows. Can we assume that  the preset's still image duration = 1 frame (0.033 seconds NTSC)?  And, with this preset in effect, what is the frame rate (29.97 or 30 frames per second) of the .mp4 that is going to be produced?

So far, I have been able to download and install on of these timelapse presets. I can get the .mp4 export with still image duration of 1 frame. But, I am yet to be able to get anything but 29.97 frames per second for the frame rate which is supposed to be 24 frames per second accounting to the preset's details.

Why all the focus on this? I want to get a firm idea on what you are taking into Premiere Elements so that we can set up Premiere Elements optimally for is import/edit/export.

More later.

ATR

• 9. Re: Timelapse issue in PE10

Thanks very much for this, you're going beyond the call of duty!!  You're right, I'm using an LRtimelapse plug-in/preset.... There's no choice of still duration, but the framerate can be selected - I went with 24fps. The still duration must be 1 frame because with 249 images the resulting mp4 comes out at 10 seconds long.

Does that give you enough info?

By the way, I used a work around; I simply imported the stills to PE at 1 still = 1 frame and exported as a video file, then inserted the video file into my project. It's a pain as it adds a step to workflow but it does work. So I'm managing for now, but I get the feeling you will want to find an answer after so much effort!!

Thanks very much!

• 10. Re: Timelapse issue in PE10
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

DanielWildey

Thanks for the update and good news that you have found the Premiere Elements 10 road to your Timelapse video end product (my preferred route).

But, now you have sparked my troubleshooting gene, especially for this Lightroom 5.2 Slideshow Module business. What specific preset are you using for that Lightroom preset that is giving you the .mp4 24 frames per second with 1 frame still duration? With what I have found, I can get the 1 frame still duration, but not the 24 frames per second part of the preset.

I am focusing on this frame rate since I have seen references to 29.97 vs 30 frames making the difference in some presets with regard to flicker.

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re: Timelapse issue in PE10

ATR; I'm afraid I've confused myself.... I'm not sure if I downloaded the templates from LRTimelapse, or if they came with LR....  By the way I'm using LR4, not 5, and the templates files are in my Adobe folder, which suggests they came with the software.....

• 12. Re: Timelapse issue in PE10
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

DanieWildey

I thought that you were working with the current Lightroom 5.2 and not 4. That business with the 29.97 frame per second frame rate and those TimeLapse presets may be part of my issue. I do not know if I can get a hold of Lightroom 4 (4.1) to pursue this on a hands on basis.

But the good news is that you have identified a workflow in Premiere Elements to achieve your TimeLapse video end product.

Continued success.

ATR

• 13. Re: Timelapse issue in PE10

ATR, no problem, massive thanks for your efforts!!

Cheers