3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2013 7:43 AM by Rick Gerard

Metal Gear Solid 3 Logo Effect

Kuwadora Yamazuki

Video Link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jsmyrm-VC8

Around 24 seconds to 28 theres a cool effect they used to dissolve in the logo. I was wondering if anyone knows how to do that? I'm able to replicate the the pieces using shatter effect, but I can't replicate where when the piece gets closer to getting reassembled it turns to smoke/dust. I looked at using the videocopilot tutorial on disintergrate but the ability to choose which piece and when it disintergrates is very limiting. Anyone have any ideas?

• 1. Re: Metal Gear Solid 3 Logo Effect
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you mean this:

Screen Shot 2013-11-21 at 4.24.30 PM.png

Then you can achieve the lighting effects by overlaying lighter colored solids with light gradients or blurs on masks and experimenting with the Add and Screen blend mode. The particles look like Shatter to me. You set up a gradient to use as a shatter map, break your type apart, then pre-compose the layer and time reverse the pre-comp so the text is assembled from the pieces. It's all very easy once you break down the process but it is NOT a single layer click and play from a plug-in.

• 2. Re: Metal Gear Solid 3 Logo Effect
            Kuwadora Yamazuki Level 1

I'll try that once I get a chance, however I'm not sure if I properly explained myself. I know it'll take more than one layer, however if you get a chance and look at the actually particales they slowly become that smoke. I had the video downloaded and I went it through frame by frame and as those small pieces get closer to the place of the letter they become smoke. So far I was able to use the effect shatter and replicate what I want pieces flying wise. However what stumps me is to make those pieces turn to smoke when they get close to reassembling into the logo.

• 3. Re: Metal Gear Solid 3 Logo Effect
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The smoke can be created by taking the pre-comp of the shatter effect and applying things like turbulent displace, noise, and another instance of shatter. A better option would be Trapcode Particular or Form. Even better, use CC's Cineware plug-in and C4D to create your particle system.