4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2013 5:32 AM by Fishbuddy

How to create a pause on a path in Indesign animation

Fishbuddy

I am trying to create a long path which has several pauses that could be controled by screen click. Say if my object moves from point A to point B, I want it to be paused by a click because I would like to talk about point B for a while; then I would like to screen click to move my object from point B to point C, then pause it again at point C......can Indesign do that?

• 1. Re: How to create a pause on a path in Indesign animation
          Sandee Cohen Adobe Community Professional

ID can be set up to do this, but it's a question of where you'll be clicking.

You can make an animation on the page, and then create a button that starts (Play) the animation.

You can then make another button that stops (Pause) the animation.

You can then make another button that continues (Resume) the animation.

But the same button can't do all three things.

There is a somewhat complicated technique, which I'm not going to get into here, that can fake the look of one button doing three different things, but it is a fake.

So create your animation. Then draw three objects. Set one to Animation and then Play. Another to Animation and then Stop. And another to Animation and then Resume.

I sometimes make buttons in corners of my presentations that are practically invisible due to opacity. So my audience thinks I'm just clicking randomly on the screen but I'm actually triggering buttons in their positions.

• 2. Re: How to create a pause on a path in Indesign animation
            Fishbuddy Level 1

Hi, Sandee, thanks for your answer. It does help me out.

And I have another question now. My object is actually a car, and it is supposed to make a 90 degree turn at the street corner to get on to another street which is perpendicular to the last one. Not sure if Indesign is able to tell it to really "turn" instead of having it move like a crab walking on the next street. .....

• 3. Re: How to create a pause on a path in Indesign animation
              Sandee Cohen Adobe Community Professional

This is MUCH more difficult.

It's pretty easy to change the motion path once you've applied an animation to an object. Just create the L-shaped path and then select both and click the Create Motion Path icon at the bottom of the Animation panel.

The problem will be to get the car to re-orient itself so the front part is facing the correct direction and not that the car is skidding sideways.

There is a rotation control for animated objects, but you can't get them to turn at a specific point. They make their rotation along the entire path.

You really need to start playing with the animation to see what you do and don't like.

• 4. Re: How to create a pause on a path in Indesign animation
                Fishbuddy Level 1

Yes. This is much more difficult. I actually tried the rotation but like u said the car did not turn at certain point. But that's fine for now. Thank you very much for your help and have a great weekend.