2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2013 4:15 PM by Steven Hiatt

A Book Export to PDF bug?

Steven Hiatt Level 1

I'm using InDesign CS 5.5 7.5.3 with Mac OS X 10.8.5. I'm running a book with, eventually, 16 documents. I wanted to create a PDF of book chapters that were ready for review. I selected a range of book chapters in the interface of the book's .indb file and chose Export Selected Documents to PDF. The usual control panels opened, I made the appropriate selections, and the PDF of the selected chapters seemed to be created.

I later looked at the PDF and found that 1) it included some documents that had NOT been selected in the .epub documents panel; 2) it left OUT some that had been selected; 3) it tossed in documents out of order.

So ... is there a serious bug in this InDesign process? Can I not count on it anymore without a lot of double-checking/putting together PDFs individually and merging them, etc.?

Has this bug been encountered in CS 6 or InDesign CC?

• 1. Re: A Book Export to PDF bug?
          Kelloggj

I can honestly say, that I do not know if it is a bug or not. I do feel as though you are going the wrong way when it comes to combining the .PDF files. You should export every chapter individually to make sure they are in the correct format you want and then merge them into a single .PDF inside of Adobe Acrobat.

This will save you time in exporting and will ensure that if there is an error in exporting you only have to fix a chapter and not re-export the entire book.

• 2. Re: A Book Export to PDF bug?
            Steven Hiatt Level 1

Well, that may be what I have to do. However, this file was just a quick file for review--not something I want to spend a lot of time on, as I would for a file in preparation to send to the printer. I've actually used this option quite a lot with, before now, no problems--even when I've reviewed every page before I sent the final file to the printer. However, if InDesign cannot keep proper track of what's selected in its interface panes, then we have some problems. And although CS 5.5 is not the current version, bugs (features) have a way of hanging around (or not being prioritized for fixing by project management), so I'm curious to know whether others have encountered this problem, or if it seems to be a very rare oddity.