15 Replies Latest reply on Nov 26, 2013 8:25 PM by A.T. Romano

Problems adding movie menus - PE12 unresponsive

Gabe Thomas

Hi.

I'm trying to add movie menus to a project with multiple scene markers (21), and have found that:

• Any menu theme that is downloaded only shows the "spinning wheel" in the preview
      • Selecting one of these themes results in Premiere Elements becoming unresponsive

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, and also adding menus to a single clip with no menu markers, all with the same results.

My system is a Core i5, 4GB RAM, Windows 7 64-bit.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

-Gabe

• 1. Re: Problems adding movie menus - PE12 unresponsive
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Gabe Thomas

All but one of the menus has be downloaded prior to use, and this type of menu is found in the Online Folder on the hard drive. In the opened project Movie Menus needing downloading prior to use are designated by a blue ban at the top right corner of the theme thumbnail. Are you waiting for the theme to download completely. Often it can be a very slow process. Is your Internet connection OK?

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/05/pe11-no-content-disc-content-downloads.html

For troubleshooting, use the Slideshow/Pan and Zoom theme and see if that is responding as you describe with the "spinning wheel". That theme comes with the program so no downloading required before you use it.

Please let us know your results and also state which menus you have looked at and had this problem.

Looking forward to your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Problems adding movie menus - PE12 unresponsive
            Gabe Thomas Level 1

ATR,

In the "Choose a menu theme" pop-up, the only themes that display anything are the ones that haven't been downloaded.  Those that have been downloaded or were otherwise present with the install, show the spinning wheel.  This is true for Slide Shows/Pan and Zoom, as well as the Broadway and Stage themes under Entertainment.MenuThemes.jpg

As with the Broadway and Stage themes, selecting "Pan and Zoom" and clicking "Continue" results in the pop up going away, leaving the main PE12 window.  This window starts to redraw, but freezes.  If I select this window, the mouse pointer changes to the Windows 7 spinning blue circle.

Clicking again results in the Windows 7 pop-up stating that the program is not responding, and giving the options to "Wait" or "Close" the program.

BTW - Internet access is fine.  Downloads take a few seconds.

Thanks.

-Gabe

• 3. Re: Problems adding movie menus - PE12 unresponsive
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Gabe Thomas

Thanks for the helpful additional information including screenshot.

If you have not already, let us see what files exist on the hard drive for

Slideshow/Pan and Zoom (this one is supposed to have come with the installation)

Entertainment/Broadway (this one you said that you downloaded - got rid of the blue band on top right of Movie menu thumbnail)

Entertainment/Stage (this one you said that you downloaded - got rid of the blue band on top right of Movie Menu thumbnail)

The goal to the following is going to be to make sure that .psd files exist in the theme folder for each theme.

Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 64 bit path...

Local Disk C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

DVD Templates

All_Lang

Entertainment

and theme folders for Broadway and Stage.

Local Disk C

Program Files

Adobe

Adobe Premiere Elements 12

DVD Templates

Common

Slideshows

theme folder for Pan and Zoom

Did you install the program to default location?

Let us see what that looks like.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Problems adding movie menus - PE12 unresponsive
                Gabe Thomas Level 1

ATR,

You bring up a great point - due to limited space, I directed the installation to E:.

The standard template is with the rest of the installation, in:

E:\Program Files\Adobe\...\Common\Slideshows\Pan And Zoom

This folder has 35 items, of which 7 are PSD files.

Downloaded templates are in C:\ProgramData\...\Entertainment.  There are folders for all of the "Entertainment" templates, but only the two that I have downloaded have PSD and "downloaded" files:

• "(AV) Broadway" has 48 files total, including 6 PSD.
                • "Stage" has 34 files total, including 4 PSD.

Thanks.

-Gabe

• 5. Re: Problems adding movie menus - PE12 unresponsive
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>directed the installation to E

I have never installed to other than my C drive so did not save a link, but I have read messages in the past where the program would NOT work properly if it was not installed to the default C drive location

• 6. Re: Problems adding movie menus - PE12 unresponsive
                    Nash_John Level 3

I would suggest:

1) Exit Premiere Elements

2) Delete Preferences file from C:\Users\User_name\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Premiere Elements\12.0\Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs

3) Move the Online folder from C:\ProgramData\.....\Online to somewhere else

4) Launch PRE, and fresh download a DVD template again

Let us know, if it works.

• 7. Re: Problems adding movie menus - PE12 unresponsive
                      Gabe Thomas Level 1

If that's the case, it would seem that Adobe could avoid a whole class of problems by blocking that installation option.

Regardless, it looks like I'll be doing a backup and resize of some partitions tonight.  Will post the results when I have some.

Thanks!

-Gabe

• 8. Re: Problems adding movie menus - PE12 unresponsive
                        John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Partitions are not good for video editing http://forums.adobe.com/thread/650708

You would do better with a "small" (320Gig works for me) boot/software drive and a second drive (500Gig to 1T) for project and video files

• 9. Re: Problems adding movie menus - PE12 unresponsive
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Gabe Thomas

Catching up on your thread and the current focus which seems to be the installation location for the program and its features (specifically DVD Templates).

You should be able to install your Premiere Elements on other than the Local Disk C, but there are certain components that have default locations that you cannot change. Let me explain by example.

Given Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 7 64 bit (on Local Disk C and Program Files) and the Online Folder and the Broadway DVD theme (on Local Disc C and Program Data). Let us say that I have not downloaded any of the DVD themes in the Online Folder.

a. If I take the Online Folder and move if from its Program Data location to the computer desktop....

b. then open Premiere Elements 11 to Movie Menu, Broadway, and download it,

c. then the downloaded files required to make Broadway work are not in the Online Folder on the Desktop

d. however, Broadway is still displayed in Movie Menu as a choice without the blue ban and is fully functional in Premiere Elements 11 project....why?

The why is that the program automatically created a new Online Folder and the download for Broadway went there and not the original Online Folder that was moved to the computer desktop. So, at this time, I do not believe your issue has anything to do with the downloads and the Online Folder location. You are getting the .psd and associated files. And, you apparently have no say on where that Online Folder is going to be other than Program Data.

What may be happening is a problem between the association of the Content in Online and the program itself, perhaps related to the drive location and drive conditions related to the Premiere Elements install.

Please describe your drive set up. What is your Local C Drive? And, what is this E drive...an internal hard drive or an external hard drive?

Please review and then let us know if I overlooked any of your prior details that might tie this together.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: Problems adding movie menus - PE12 unresponsive
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Gabe Thomas

While you are reviewing your options with regard to these DVD templates, I need for you to rule in or out the following.

In the very beginning you mentioned that your project includes 21 menu markers. With the menus that you mention (6 buttons per scene selection page), the would give you 4 scene selection pages (6, 6, 6, 3 scenes seen on pages 1, 2, 3, and 4 repectively).

What happens if you make a copy of your project, work with the copy, and work with 6 menu markers so that you have only 1 scene selection page. Does that help when you try to select the Broadway theme in Tools/Movie Menu? Are the menu markers placed with enough space between them?

Unlikely possibility but good to rule in or out under the circumstances.

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re: Problems adding movie menus - PE12 unresponsive
                              Gabe Thomas Level 1

ATR,

As others have suggested, this problem may be a result of having multiple partitions on the same physical drive.  My computer has one physical HDD (500G, IIRC) and one DVD writer.

C: is a 40GB partition on the 500G drive.

E: is a 100GB partition on the same drive.

F and G are additional partitions that finish out the space.

When I first set up the machine, I thought 40GB would be enough for OS and Apps, with the rest being for data (or Linux dual-boot).  This has proven to have been a bad assumption as C: is now floating around 2GB free, even with the Photoshop/Premiere elements bundle installed on another drive.

Seeing that Win7 can resize partitions, I'm willing to give that a shot.  I'll back up the drive before-hand and, worst case, just reinstall the entire machine.  It's probably over-due anyway.

Thanks.

-Gabe

• 12. Re: Problems adding movie menus - PE12 unresponsive
                                Gabe Thomas Level 1

ATR,

Regarding fewer menu markers - before starting this discussion, I had made a copy of the project and removed ALL of the menu markers.  This made no difference in the behavior of the menu templates.

-Gabe

• 13. Re: Problems adding movie menus - PE12 unresponsive
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Gabe Thomas

Thanks for the additional information.

Good job at ruling that factor in or out at the onset.

We will be watching for further developments with the drive situation aspects of the issue.

ATR

• 14. Re: Problems adding movie menus - PE12 unresponsive
                                    Gabe Thomas Level 1

While I can't say that getting to this point was the easiest (corrupted user profile...) having all of Premiere Elements 12 installed to the C: partition seems to have solved the problem with menus.

Before downloading any new content, I could see that the standard Pan and Zoom theme displayed correctly.  With some confidence, I then downloaded the Broadway theme, which also displayed properly.  I selected it, pressed continue, and was presented with a full layout for all of my menus.

Presently, I am burning the DVD to folders, and will likely use ImgBurn to make the disc once I have verified things with VLC.

Thanks everyone for the help!

-Gabe

• 15. Re: Problems adding movie menus - PE12 unresponsive
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Gabe Thomas

That was magnificent news. Congratulations.

Thanks for the stick-to-it-tiveness and follow ups.

ATR