3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2013 7:34 AM by John Frederick Chionglo

Is the Calculate Event for a Dropdown Field Functioning Properly?

John Frederick Chionglo Level 1

Hi,

I am trying to understand the occurrence of a Calculate Event for a Dropdown field (ComboBox).

I created three Dropdown fields (Dropdown1, Dropdown2 and Dropdown3) using Acrobat Professional. To each field, I unchecked the “Check spelling” option, checked the “Commit selected value immediately” option and attached a custom calculation script:

• Dropdown1 Custom Calculation Script:

console.println("0: " + event.name + " / " + event.target.name + " / " + event.target.type );

• Dropdown2 Custom Calculation Script:

console.println("1: " + event.name + " / " + event.target.name + " / " + event.target.type );

• Dropdown3 Custom Calculation Script:

console.println("2: " + event.name + " / " + event.target.name + " / " + event.target.type );

This is what I observed:

1. When I select an item from the Dropdown1 field (using the touchpad), the calculation script for the field does not occur.
      2. When I select an item from the Dropdown1 field (using the keyboard), the calculation script for all fields occur.
      3. The same happens for the Dropdown2 and the Dropdown3 fields.

I created a new document, and created six Dropdown fields (Dropdown1 – Dropdown6) in the new document. Again to each field, I unchecked the “Check spelling” option, checked the “Commit selected value immediately” option and attached a custom calculation script similar to the calculation scripts earlier. I observed the same behaviour:

1. When I select an item from some Dropdown fields with the touchpad, the calculation script event does not occur.
      2. When I select an item from the other Dropdown fields with the touchpad, the calculation scripts for all fields occur.
      3. The same happens when I select an item using a keyboard: all calculation scripts for all fields occur.

Are these the expected behaviour for the calculation events of Dropdown fields? My expectation is that when an item is selected (either via keyboard of via touchpad) for a Dropdown field, only the calculation event for that field occurs.

Perhaps it is just the software in my computer that behaves like this. It would be interesting to find out if the same behaviour happens to others on a different computer with the same or different version of Acrobat or Reader.

Here are links to the PDF documents I created:

1. http://www.aespen.ca/AETests/DropdownGoneAwry1.pdf
      2. http://www.aespen.ca/AETests/DropdownGoneAwry2.pdf

I am using Acrobat Professional version 11.0.5 running Windows 8 on a Lenovo N581 laptop computer.

Regards,

John