7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2013 3:32 PM by ssprengel

Cannot Convert RAW to JPEG with image adjustments

MrCastro

Hello, I'm using CS6. Heres my problem. I transfer raw files from my 70D to my desktop. I then convert them with the DNG converter. I open up the raw file in CS6. I make my adjustments, in particular sharpness and noise reduction. I save my image. I then go back to my desktop, open the image in windows image viewer and the photo looks nothing like the preview I saw while adjusting the image in RAW. All the noise that was removed is there, the image just looks horrible compared to the beautiful image I made in RAW. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. But its so frustrating I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure it out. Any help?

• 1. Re: Cannot Convert RAW to JPEG with image adjustments
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When you "save" the image, what do you mean? How are you saving the image? And, are you talking about opening the JPEG or the raw for comparison?

• 2. Re: Cannot Convert RAW to JPEG with image adjustments
            01af Level 1

Windows Image Viewer is not a raw image converter. So in order to see your processed picture, you'll have to save it in JPEG format—which will create another version of your image. So there will be two image files—the raw master file in DNG format (with Camera Raw's processing metadata under the hood), and a JPEG file which you can view or send via e-mail to someone else or upload to the Internet or send to a photo printer.

It's essential to understand the difference between a raw image file (e. g. NEF, DNG) and an RGB image file (e. g. JPEG, TIFF). If you're not aware of the fundamental properties and purposes of the various image formats then maybe it's time to take a class or read a book about the basics of image processing.

• 3. Re: Cannot Convert RAW to JPEG with image adjustments
              MrCastro Level 1

Hi Jim, when I have camera raw 7.4 opened and I make all my adjustements. At the bottom left hand coronor there is a button that says, "save image..." I click that and save the image to my desktop. Somebody else recommended that after making all my adjustments I open the photo in CS6 and save it that way. I did that, but before I even get the chance to save it, it looks horrible in CS6! I have included two photos below, so you can see whats going on.

This photo is my complete photo in camera raw 7.4, it looks beautiful and perfect. so when I save it to my desktop, it comes out looking like the one below it. You can tell the sharpness I added and noise reduction is totally gone, it just looks bad compared to what I did in camera raw 7.4.

45.JPG

46.JPG

• 4. Re: Cannot Convert RAW to JPEG with image adjustments

I think you're being too aggressive with clarity, and not taking advantage of the other controls available to you. I would suggest going to the detail section and setting the radius really low like .5. Then push the sharpness up to about 100 or even higher and then apply luminance reduction to remove some of the noise. Then add a little clarity. I usually go somewhere between 20 and 30. Pushing clarity to 100 doesn't sharpen the image. It increases contrast along edges. And going as high as you are I think you're getting results that are contrary to what you are trying to do. I'm sure others will have different suggestions. But the settings I am suggesting seem to work pretty well for me.

• 5. Re: Cannot Convert RAW to JPEG with image adjustments
                  MrCastro Level 1

Okay, but that still doesn't fix the problem. How do I export the image from raw so it looks exactly like what I edited in raw?

• 6. Re: Cannot Convert RAW to JPEG with image adjustments

You set those adjustments that I suggested, and then save a new copy. You have to evaluate the image at 1:1 in order to really tell what the quality of the image is. And I think the JPEG that is saved is magnifying the adjustments that you have already made. Try making those adjustments and then save another JPEG copy and see if there's a difference.

• 7. Re: Cannot Convert RAW to JPEG with image adjustments
                      ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In the ACR Preferences, the three-dots-three-lines toolbar icon at the top of ACR, there is a Sharpen:  Preview Images Only or All Images.  You want to have this set to Sharpen: All Images if it’s not already.