Well, the silence on this issue was deafening. In the past I have found the responses in this forum to be very helpful, so this problem must be a really bad one. I contacted Adobe chat support and was told that I would need to restore all 2300+ Map IDs manually, and there was no explanation for why they suddenly disappeared. I was blaming Chrome, but didn't get that confirmed by chat support.
I began reassigning Map IDs through Project Manager and got about 800 of them done, saving, compiling, and testing regularly to make sure they were still there. I took two days off from RH, and when I came back and opened the project today, all the Map IDs are unassigned again. I didn't do anything with this computer in the meantime. Does anyone have a clue what might be causing the Map IDs to unassign themselves? As far as I can tell, everything else in my project is ok.
Next step is phone support, I guess.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Sorry, but your post probably slipped through the radar.
When the topics are not linked, do you still have entries in the .ali
file? Or is that one empty as well? Did you try removing the CPD file?
As for manually restoring, if you have a working output (with CSH), you
can use one of my recovery scripts
the context sensitivity from the output and apply it in your source project.
Chrome probably has nothing to do with this one – sounds like you’ve got a damaged RH project.
Thanks for your reply. It appears that something is destroying the .ali file. Summary of events: After the first time the map IDs disappeared, I was told by Adobe support to restore manually and that map IDs are stored in BSSCDefault.h file. Did that, but map IDs were not saved after manually restoring. A few entries in the BSSCDefault.h file, but certainly not the 2300+ entries included in my project. Adobe support did not have an answer for why map IDs disappeared initially and then again after restoring/saving.
Per your advice, I deleted the CPD file and checked the .ali file. It was blank. I replaced that .ali file with a backed up copy. This restored the links between map IDs and topics. Saved/compiled, and now the .ali is completely blank again. So I can create an output file, but each time I close RH, the .ali records disappear.