20 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2013 2:01 PM by A.T. Romano

Export Settings to Join AVCHD Files

SKTGH87 Level 1

I'm using Premiere Elements 10.

I have AVCHD (MTS) files from my Canon camcorder that I need to join and export for use on my computer as single files. I'm having a hard time understanding which would be the best settings for this export.

Source files are 1920 x 1080 60i, 29 fps. My goal is to export to a file that will minimize loss of quality and have maximum compatibility.

When I go to the Share tab, I select the Computer option and have to select from MPEG (use for playback on this computer or burning to DVD), AVCHD (use for exporting AVCHD), and AVI (use for editing in Premiere Elements).

1. Am I correct that since I am "exporting AVCHD" I should use the AVCHD option? I tried using the MPEG option, selected an MPEG 2 preset, but the resulting file type was still MTS.

When selecting AVCHD, it seems my best two options might be MP4 -H264 1920x1080p 30 or M2T-H264 1920x1080i 30.

2. I like the idea of converting to MP4 for compatibility, but will I introduce quality issues converting from 1080i to 1080p?

3. Knowing my goals here, what is the optimal combination of selections?

• 1. Re: Export Settings to Join AVCHD Files
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

As I show you in my book, if your goal is to reuse your output file in another Premiere Elements project, you should use Publish & Share/Computer/AVCHD with the M2T 1920x1080i preset.

However, in order to get the best possible quality from your output, your project must also be set up properly. In other words, when you start your project, you must select the project settings for Full AVCHD 1920x1080i.

You can tell you've selected the ideal project settings for your video because there will NOT be a red line above the clips in your timeline in Timeline mode. Is that the case in your project?

• 2. Re: Export Settings to Join AVCHD Files
            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Leave them as they are.

You cannot joint all the clips to one large clip without loosing quality with Elements. You need a program that does smart rendering which means unchanged frames do not get re-transcoded. Elements cant do that.

Besides you might want to learn to use single clips these are much more easy to handle while editing.

Bad clips you can remove from the project even hard disk. When it is one file you cannot.

Or are you talking about spanned clips. Clips stretched over 2 cards e.g.

• 3. Re: Export Settings to Join AVCHD Files
              SKTGH87 Level 1

Hi Ann,

Really, neither of your examples apply. These are clips produced apparently due to the 2gb file size limitation with the Canon camcorder. Even a continuous 60 minute video will be broken into clips no larger than 2 gb each. I want to combine them into one file, with the best combination of high quality and maximum compatibility.

• 4. Re: Export Settings to Join AVCHD Files
                SKTGH87 Level 1

Hi Steve,

Yes, I'm opening the project as AVCHD Full 1920x1080i 30.

My goal it to create a file, at the highest quality, compatible with most any player - using it again in another Premiere Elements project is secondary because I will have already created a Blu-Ray using the original clips.

• 5. Re: Export Settings to Join AVCHD Files

So how do you plan to use the footage you're exporting from your finished project?

There are optimized formats for output, depending on whether you plan to burn a DVD or BluRay, port your file to a portable device or smartphone, post it online, use it in a future project, etc.

• 6. Re: Export Settings to Join AVCHD Files
                    SKTGH87 Level 1

Hi Steve,

I will use the original files to burn a Blu-Ray disc. Then I want to convert the original clips into a single file which I will play on the computer using Windows Media Center, VLC media player, Windows Media Player, etc. I want these joined clips to be high quality and compatible with most players.

• 7. Re: Export Settings to Join AVCHD Files

Why not output a format that is optimized for playing on a media player then? It will still be top quality -- it just won't be so large or take so much computer power to play.

Try Publish & Share/Computer/AVCHD with the YouTube HD preset. It should look every bit as good as your original file, and yet play much more smoothly in your media player.

• 8. Re: Export Settings to Join AVCHD Files
                        SKTGH87 Level 1

Youtube HD preset will be very lossy.

Again, I'm trying to determine the best high quality output. After I've burned to Blu-Ray, these combined files will replace the confusing AVCHD clips so I need to retain maximum quality.

If I then want to output that file to Youtube or something else, I can always do so.

• 9. Re: Export Settings to Join AVCHD Files
                          jmklein Level 1

SKTGH87,

I too have a Canon camcorder (HFM 40) that creates multiple mts files because of the 2GB file size limit.

Try this, assuming you are on a Windows machine.

1. Open a DOS window (command prompt).  If you don't know your way around DOS, you may have to study up on that.

2. Navigate to the folder where the files are located.

3. Type the following without the quotes "copy /b file1.mts + file2.mts + file3.mts newfile.mts"

This copies the 3 files (file1, file2, file3) at the binary level (/b) to a single file named newfile.mts.

4 The result will be one file without any re-rendering or quality loss, exactly how it would have been out of the camera if the 2GB file limit did not exist.

You can read about it in this post

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5798036#5798036

• 10. Re: Export Settings to Join AVCHD Files

Of course the YouTube template will be lossy! But that's because it's a delivery format. But it should look every bit as good as your original footage.

There's no point in saving your movie as a large, editable format if you don't plan to use it for an editing project.

But that's your call.

• 11. Re: Export Settings to Join AVCHD Files
                              SKTGH87 Level 1

jmklein,

Thank you. This looks promising, except that I have dozens of folders of these files and I'm trying to determine if there's a way to do this in a somewhat automated way via Elements.

• 12. Re: Export Settings to Join AVCHD Files
                                SKTGH87 Level 1

Steve,

Thanks for your input, but this is not what I'm trying to do. I'm trying to find help pertaining to my specific questions above.

• 13. Re: Export Settings to Join AVCHD Files
                                  SKTGH87 Level 1

Can anyone directly answer my questions 1, 2 and 3 above?

• 14. Re: Export Settings to Join AVCHD Files
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

SKTGH87

I have just noticed your thread and have browsed through it.

You wrote

Can anyone directly answer my questions 1, 2 and 3 above?

I believe that jmklein has given you a direct led to your question/answer about merging files such as those that you have.

In that context, please check out my blog post on "PE12: Seamless File Merging Before Import". It sure sounds like what you want to do, and it goes into great detail (with graphics) on how to do it. You will not know if it will work for you as it has for me and others until you try it, at least on a mini test run scale.

Please let us know if you have tried it and the results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 15. Re: Export Settings to Join AVCHD Files
                                      SKTGH87 Level 1

A.T.,

Thanks for your reply, but as I stated earlier, I have too many files to manually go in and run these procedures via the command prompt.

I'm asking if someone can answer these questions for me, stated in my original entry:

1. Am I correct that since I am "exporting AVCHD" I should use the AVCHD option? I tried using the MPEG option, selected an MPEG 2 preset, but the resulting file type was still MTS.

2. I like the idea of converting to MP4 for compatibility, but will I introduce quality issues converting from 1080i to 1080p?

3. Knowing my goals here, what is the optimal combination of selections?

That's all I'm after. Instead, I seem to be in a circular wrestling match with people who instead of answering my questions keep telling me what they want me to do.

• 16. Re: Export Settings to Join AVCHD Files

Actually, those are exactly the questions I answered.

But maybe ATR will have some additional thoughts.

• 17. Re: Export Settings to Join AVCHD Files
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

SkTGH87

Given Premiere Elements 10 Windows

Source files are 1920 x 1080 60i, 29 fps. My goal is to export to a file that will minimize loss of quality and have maximum compatibility.

In my opinion, SG gave you the answer to this way back in the beginning of this thread...

Import...Project Preset = NTSC/AVCHD/Full HD1080i30

Export...Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = M2T - H.264 1920 x 1080i30.

That represents an export with AVCHD video compression with a file extension of .m2t (wrapper format). The file type is described as H.264 Blu-ray. Important is the interlaced source to interlaced export.

You wrote

I tried using the MPEG option, selected an MPEG 2 preset, but the resulting file type was still MTS.

First there is no export in Premiere Elements with the file extension of MTS. If you had selected Share/Computer/MPEG with Presets = MPEG2 1920 x 1080i30, the file type = MPEG2 Blu-ray, not MTS.

That represents an export with MPEG2 video compression with the file extension of .m2t (wrapper format).Important is the interlaced source to interlaced export.

More than likely Yes. Going from progressive to interlaced would probably be OK. But going from interlaced to progressive would be expected to give questionable results.

If you do not feel that pre-import file merging is a consideration in your circumstances, then import your files with the

Project Preset = NTSC AVCHD Full HD 1080i30

and export

Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = M2T 1920 x 1080i30

Your workflow would be dependant on computer resources and the size of the project.

Commentary regarding

I seem to be in a circular wrestling match with people who instead of answering my questions keep telling me what they want me to do.

I fear that my post may also be looked on in the same light since what has been offered already seems to me to be the answers that you were seeking. But, what I have written is my take and double take on what you have asked. If you do some online reading on the subject of differences between MPEG4 AVC/H.264 (AVCHD) and MPEG2 you will find that properties adjustments can be made so that the two compare more closely quality wise. Often you see advice given to do short runs of the clips to see what works for them. File size often factors into all this. I do not see this as the generalization of one size fits all.

Hope the above helps.

Thanks for reading this.

ATR

• 18. Re: Export Settings to Join AVCHD Files
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

I did not see your latest post until after I had posted just now. I took a long time composing my thoughts on the thread question and the originator's replies.

So, please note my heading remarks which are not influenced in any way by your post numbered 16.

In my opinion, SG gave you the answer to this way back in the beginning of this thread...

Import...Project Preset = NTSC/AVCHD/Full HD1080i30

Export...Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = M2T - H.264 1920 x 1080i30.

ATR

• 19. Re: Export Settings to Join AVCHD Files
                                              SKTGH87 Level 1

Steve and ATR,

Thank you for your responses. You've given me the information I need. And I see now that Steve did answer two of my three questions in his initial response, thank you.

I will go through them and export to AVCHD with Presets M2T - H.264 1920 x 1080i 30.

This will enable me to save these sequences as individual files, rather than properly titled folders full of short clips. My main purpose is to simplify the file management and future handling without overly compromising quality and I just needed to ensure I was going to do this in the best manner, given the quantity I need to work through.

Thank you -

• 20. Re: Export Settings to Join AVCHD Files
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

SkTGH87

Thanks for the follow up.

Glad that you are moving forward with your projects.

We are grateful for the opportunity to help. And, never hesitate to ask for clarification on anything written.

ATR