• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator CC & InDesign CC slow down over time?!

Explorer ,
Nov 22, 2013 Nov 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what's happening but I find that when using either Illustrator CC or InDesign CC they both slow down to a crawl as I am using them over the period of maybe an hour or so. The only way to fix it is to restart the app and then it's flying again for another hour until i can't bare it antmore.

When they slow down, even clicking on somthing takes a few seconds for it to respond and it's completely unworkable.

Any solution would be great, I never had this issue with any of the other Creative Suite apps before.

I am using a Mac Pro with 16GB of Ram and usually close down all other apps to insure it's not a memory issue.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 22, 2013 Nov 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Conflicting software

Do you have any additional Illustrator plug-ins installed or suspicious software. I would go through all your software and update things like the Microsoft Office Suite, auto font loading utility. Just don't update to Mac OS Mavericks, most everything else out there is tested and safe.

Corrupt Preference

Log in as another user and see how this works. If thsi helps then we have narrowed the problem down to a preference or setting that needs to be adjusted.

Network

Are you working on a network, how do you compare to other users setup/speed?

Cannot hurt to run applications/utilities/Disk Utility/Repair Permissions. And fontnuke to clean your font cache

http://jamapi.com/pr/fn/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2013 Dec 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having the same problems. It's maddening. I've turned off all my font programs, cleaned font caches, repaird permissions, etc. but it keeps happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 03, 2014 Jan 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've done exactly what Raysanford has done and the issue persists. It's mad. I haven't howevever logged in a different user to see if the problem persists. We're too busy in the studio at the moment for me to log in as a different user and work away but it's a very good idea and if I get a second I might try that and see if it's a corrupt preference or something. I don't think it's anything to do with preferences though as the apps slow down over time and doesn't make sense for it to be a preference. It feels more like either an issue with the apps or network.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried everything. Got rid of all preferences, caches, etc. I've run

diagnostics on all my fonts and even switched to a different font-managment

system. All without result. It only happens in InDesign, not Illustrator,

Photoshop or other CC apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I strangely have the problem in Illustrator as well although I don't think it's as frequent as InDesign. InDesign is a given everytime I open it. It works at full speed for maybe 15 minutes and then starts crawling down to a halt. It goes so bad that even clicking on a tool in the tool panel can take up to 5 seconds to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 09, 2014 Jan 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here — new iMac with 16gb of Ram, everything upgraded (mavericks)... IND flies after restart and becomes continually slower over the course of an hour or so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2014 Feb 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here, can actually anyone help us? Any ideas? It drives me mad!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2014 Mar 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this same problem, Mac Pro tower with 24GB RAM, two 2.4ghz quad-core Xeon processors... this SHOULD NOT be happening on this fast of a machine. Illustrator will work ok for a few minutes and then everything slows to a crawl- moving objects, selecting things, type tool, everything. Have to restart the app all the time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ihgerke,

Will it be possible for you to join the connect session     https://my.adobeconnect.com/rbhunwal

I want to have a look at it.

Thanks & Regards,

Raghuveer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just did a complete uninstall and reinstall of Illustrator CC and so far, so good. I’ll let you know what I find after using Illustrator for a few hours today, and update my post accordingly.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 16, 2014 Mar 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem on Windows. I doubt it's a system bug. Since CC Illustrator and InDesign can get really slow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 28, 2014 Mar 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any progress on this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 08, 2014 May 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is anyone at Adobe looking into this?  I've been having the same issue for months. I've even tried completely wiping the machine and re-installing a fresh OS and everything yet the issue persists.  The longer I use AI, the slower it gets.

Machine specs:

Windows 7 Professional (Experience Index is currently at 7.0)

Adobe Illustrator CC (17.1.0 64-bit)

12.0 GB Ram

Intel Xeon CPU - W3550 @ 3.07GHz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2014 Jun 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem for me, reinstall and everything. Definitely no conflicting software either.

Seems to have happened just after the last update (with live corners etc)

any thoughts from Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2014 Aug 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Completely agree with all the others.

I have CS6 and CC installed on my machine and CS6 runs must faster. I work for about 20 min on CC and everything slows down to a crawl. Not very productive for companies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2014 Nov 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am on Windows 7 (64bit) - 32Gb Ram, Nvidia Quadra card using Illustrator CC (OpenGL acceleration on). I have a fairly simple design open. Repeatedly the program comes to almost a complete halt. Its hard to be productive when this happens. I had another problem with Dreamweaver CC slowing down so much making it almost impossible to edit code, after some discussions it was suggested that I turn off some code hinting functions, sadly that won't happen here. I have not used InDesign yet on this machine, however I had planned on doing so today with this file. I'll see what happens when I finally finish the graphics I need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2014 Nov 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone already found a solution to this problem? I have the same problem together with problems in After Effects.

I have a computer that should have a great performance although till now it's acting frustratingy slow with the Adobe Programs. I have the legal Adobe Creative Cloud. I mainly use Illustrator and After Effects and that is where I noticed the problems.

Illustrator: slows down over time. Over a period of half an hour the program gets extremely slow and laggy (happens with every project).

After Effects: Is really slow with rendering. Also RAM render goes extremely slow even with very very simple projects. (even a shape layer that only moves from the left to the right is RAM rendering frame per frame and takes half a second to render every frame -_-).

It's not workable. I have tried all kinds of forums and have all the settings of After Effects optimized.

My windows device Manager and System Information sais that everything is working ok. The RAM is detected by the System and also After Effects detects the RAM.

I don't know what the f*** is wrong. Who can help me out?

This are some specifications of my computer. If you need any more info let me know.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601

System Model MS-7751
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
Display adapters NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti
Disk Drivers Samsung SSD 840 PRO Series ATA Device
  WDC WD20EURS-63S48Y0 ATA Device
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. V10.8, 12/17/2012
SMBIOS Version 2.7

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 32.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 16.0 GB
Available Physical Memory 13.6 GB
Total Virtual Memory 32.0 GB
Available Virtual Memory 29.7 GB
Page File Space 16.0 GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 18, 2014 Dec 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in this boat too with inDesign CC. Everything works great and then, depending on what I do, sometimes it's changing a text style, but after that dong simple things like selecting an object will take a few seconds, text styles stop applying--meaning I can no longer apply different text styles to text, and everything takes a few seconds to do. Very frustrating not to mention the lack of functionality. If I restart the program everything works again. This happened with inDesign CS4 and CS6 on different machines so it makes me think it's a bug in the software like a memory leak or functions getting corrupted when done in a specific order. I'm running Windows 8.1 with inDesign v9.2.2 x64. Such a shame since I really love the app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 23, 2015 Apr 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here.

Windows 8.1, 16GB Ram

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 27, 2015 Apr 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue... was always blinding fast up until this past December... now after running InDesign CC for more than a few minutes, it gets really slow, every click or selection takes a minute to refresh... and locks up the rest of windows... a CNT ALT DEL unlocks the rest of windows, but then my mouse malfunctions.  No changes to my computer when this problems started happening.  Speed should NOT be an issue with my setup!  Windows 7 Ultimate, 24 GB ram, AMD Radeon HD5800.  This is insane that Adobe is not fixing this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2015 Jun 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on a Mac but having the same problem with other windows locking up. I get tired of waiting for InDesign to respond and try to click over to email or another task, but everything is frozen. Or the other windows start popping up randomly. Or InDesign just crashes entirely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 06, 2015 Jun 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

run disk utility / verify disk permissions to see if there are errors then run repair disk permissions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 05, 2016 Feb 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this problem too! Has there been any fixes or solutions? Could it be a buildup in the history/undo?

How can this still be an issue after more then 2 years?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2016 Feb 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here running Illustrator CC. Runs fine  from startup but after about an hour or so its slowing down on even the simplest of tasks like opening docs, placing items ect. CS6 was never like this, it ran full performance all the time

Am surprised that no-one from Adobe has figured this out yet. Is this thread still being monitored??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines