8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2013 2:15 PM by A.T. Romano

Low on system memory?

jager

I have made my first movie in Premiere Element. When trying to publish by burning DVD, I got the pup-up text:

”Adobe Premiere Elements is running very low on system memory. Please save your project and proceed with caution”.

My computer has 4GB RAM, and only 2GB should be required!

• 1. Re: Low on system memory?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Can you provide the full details of your computer, and also the OS version that you are using, please?

What are the settings for your Windows Virtual Memory (Page File)?

How many other programs and processes do you have running, when trying to author to DVD-Video? Windows Task Manager>Processes can tell you.

"System Memory" is a bit of a broad term, and encompasses both installed RAM, available RAM and Windows Virtual Memory (Page File). Knowing what you have, will be helpful in troubleshooting the issue.

Good luck, and let us know more please,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Low on system memory?
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

General low system memory indicates one of two things:

1) You're using photos in your project that are larger than our recommended 2000x1500 pixels in size; and/or

2) You need to render your timeline (by pressing Enter).

• 3. Re: Low on system memory?
              jager Level 1

Thank you. I am running Windows Vista Home Premium - Service Pack 2. My hard disc is split in drive C and D, where D has splendid of space. I have found the following information regarding Virtual memory (drive C - my translation from Danish): actual allocation: 3498 MB, recommended: 4797 MB, available space 10373 MB. I have tried to close any other program down.

Is there a maximum size for pictures used?

• 4. Re: Low on system memory?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

jager

More answers needed....

But, what version of Premiere Elements are you using on your Windows Vista Home Premium?

Is this Vista 32 bit or 64 bit?

What was on the Timeline that was being edited and exported...

video....what formats

photos...what pixel dimensions and how many photos

Please include that information in your replies to Hunt and SG.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...The 2 GB listed in System Requirements will allow for the program to be installed. But for importing/editing/exporting, you need more than 2 GB RAM for a medium to large project. And, if you are working with a 32 bit application, consider that the maximum supported installed RAM = 4 GB with 3.0 GB or less of that available.

• 5. Re: Low on system memory?
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>Is there a maximum size for pictures used?

Pictures that are "overly" large may cause video editing problems

Photo Scaling for Video http://forums.adobe.com/thread/450798

-HiRes Pictures to DVD http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1187937?tstart=0

-PrEl Crash http://forums.adobe.com/thread/973935

• 6. Re: Low on system memory?
                    jager Level 1

I have Premiere Elements 12, and it is a 32-bit system.

This video project is containing  round 110 still pictures all more than 2000x1500: almost the half are 3264x1836, and the rest down to 2592x1728 . There are only video clip from mobile and photo camera types MP4, 3GP and ATV (coming project will mainly be M2TS, so I would appreciate comments on that).

Now I even cannot open the project. It stops with the same message already by loading and having 30 files remaining!

Is your description in the link “Photo Scaling for Video http://forums.adobe.com/thread/450798 valid for me?

This problem surprise me as I have handled similar projects with Windows Movie Maker without such problems.

• 7. Re: Low on system memory?
                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Do what Hunt said to scale ALL of your pictures to an appropriate size for DVD or BluRay output

Replace ALL of the pictures in your project (or start a new project)

Report back if you still have problems

• 8. Re: Low on system memory?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

jager

Since you have both video and stills headed into this presentation, I suggest that you focus on the video properties, set your project preset to match those properties, and then size your stills according the project preset's frame size.

Example....

1. If your movies are 1080p30, the set the project preset for NTSC/DSLR/1080p/DSLR 1080p30 @ 29.97.

Then your movies will fill the Edit Mode monitor screen where you will be doing your editing.

2. That project preset has a frame size of 1920 x 1080, so

a. Batch resize your 3264 x 1836 16:9 and 2592 x 1728 almost 16:9 stills all to 1920 x 1080 16:9 with a program such as Photoshop Elements Full Editor, File Menu/Process Multiple Files.

3. Then see how far you can get in the project.

What next will depend on your results as well as details of the properties of those videos that are going to be part of this presentation. My example was just that. We have to factor in your details.

Please consider the above. If you need clarification on anything that I have written, please do not hesitate to ask before resizing your photos directly to DVD-VIDEO's 720 x 480 (or the not to exceed 1000 x 750).

The bottom line may very well be that you do not have enough computer resource with Premiere Elements 12 on Windows Vista 32 bit which comes with all the limitations of 32 bit system. In this regard, if Windows Movie Maker works for you, it may be your program of choice for the type of project that you are doing now in your current computer environment.

Your Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 7, 8, 8.1 64 bit would be a major advantage to you to get this and other medium to large projects taken to completion successfully.

Thanks.

ATR