1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 22, 2013 11:16 AM by rob day

Issue with PMS solid colors coming in as Lab mode.

emb4mac

Lately when selecting Pantone solid colors they have been coming in with spot/Lab color numbers and I can't change the Lab mode to process. I noticed it coming from Illustrator created figures and corrected the Lab mode in those files but it still does not corrected it in my InDesign file. Does anyone know what is going on and how to correct it? Will the Lab mode effect printing? When I prefight the file and view seperations, all seems as it should. Need to know if I need to be concerned.

emb4art

• 1. Re: Issue with PMS solid colors coming in as Lab mode.
          rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In CS6 and later Pantone solid libraries are defined with Lab values—the alternate, device dependent CMYK, simulations are no longer available. If the color will really be output as a spot (an extra plate on press), the Lab definition is only used for displaying or proofing the color to a composite printer and has no affect on the spot plate's output values.

If the color is not  meant to output as a spot, the Pantone + Color Bridge libraries provide a device dependent, simulated process CMYK mix for all the solid colors.