14 Replies Latest reply on Nov 26, 2013 10:00 AM by mogguai

First PC build: video editing workstation

mogguai

Hello,

I'm building a PC for the first time. Its primary purpose is HD video editing in Premiere Pro CS6. I have been researching for the last few weeks and I think that I have settled on a spec. The budget is £1000 - £1500 (obviously, the closer to the lower end of the range, the better).

I would like to ask y'all whether you think this is a good, balanced spec for the purpose, and for the budget? My focus has been stability and reliability, so I have gone for the components which seemed to have the most positive reviews, and I won't be over-clocking. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770k

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Video card: MSI GeForce GTX 660 (I read that it is easy to enable CUDA support in PP using simple 'hack')

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB

SSD: Samsung 840 250GB (for OS)

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB

Monitor 1: Asus VS247H-P 23.6"

Monitor 2: Asus VS247H-P 23.6"

Optical drive 1: LG WH14NS40 Blue-ray/DVD/CD

Optical drive 2: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD

Optical drive 3: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD

Optical drive 4: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD

Sound card: Asus Xonar DGX

Wireless card: Asus PCE-N15

Power supply: Corsair Professional HX 750W (I'm not certain about this Wattage, far too much I think)

Case: Corsair Carbide 400R

Thank you,

Sam

• 1. Re: First PC build: video editing workstation
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

First, the sub-forum at http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere/hardware_forum?view=all has LOTS of build information

Next, some comments

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB

Only one hard drive for all video and work files may be a bit limiting... a 300-500 Gig drive for work files may help... BUT you can always add later if needed

Question... why 4 optical drives?

Sound card: Asus Xonar DGX

Unless you are doing sound work outside Premiere Pro that requires a sound card, you may be able to use motherboard sound

Power supply: Corsair Professional HX 750W

Use the Power supply calculator http://extreme.outervision.com/index.jsp (the PRO version has more options) to determine your power supply needs... especially if you think you will ever want to add more ram or another hard drive

Case: Corsair Carbide 400R

If that is a full tower case... OK

Otherwise, a full tower case is better for cable management and airflow for cooling

And, speaking of cooling, add a fan to every possible location on the case... expecially side fan(s) to blow air directly onto the CPU and GPU

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: First PC build: video editing workstation
            mogguai Level 1

Thank you very much for your response John,

The other forum is a very useful source. I guess I probably should have posted this question there, so sorry about that.

Since reading some material from around the hardware forum (especially some of Harm Millaard's stuff) more HDDs seems sensible yes.

I chose 4 optical drives because - the PC is actually for my girlfriend, who is the film maker, and at the moment (early career, I guess) she gets quite a bit of work filming theatre productions etc, producing maybe 50-100 DVD's for that small market. It brings in a bit of money working in her general area of interest, but obviously she has other personal projects of a more ambitious nature. I thought the 4 optical drives would allow her to cater for this secondary purpose of small scale DVD production. Would you suggest another solution?

Sound card is perhaps unnecessary, yes.

There does seem to be concensus on using full towers also, yes.

Again, thank you for your input.

Sam

• 3. Re: First PC build: video editing workstation
              Richard M Knight Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Buy a stand alone dvd duplicator, there are lots on ebay. It will copy all the discs at once and takes care of the error checking. Get one with an internal HDD as these are faster

• 4. Re: First PC build: video editing workstation

I only have one DVD writer so have never checked, but I **think** Imgburn will write to more than one drive at a time

Read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1322583 for notes on installing Imgburn WITHOUT any toolbar add-ons... and send the author a PayPal donation if you like his program

• 5. Re: First PC build: video editing workstation
                  Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Yes, you can run multiple instances of ImgBurn at the same time. I used an external (USB) burner plus my internal before I had multiple internal burners.

• 6. Re: First PC build: video editing workstation
                    RjL190365 Level 4

Sam,

If you're going to go with that many optical burners, it is better to buy external drives or external enclosures connected via USB for those drives. This is because only the native Intel SATA 6.0 Gbps ports are compatible at all with optical drives and other ATAPI devices (the two Marvell SATA ports do not support ATAPI devices at all, and thus support only hard drives). In addition, the particular Marvell SATA controller as used on the GA-Z87X-UD4H does not support RAID. this effectively limits you to single-disk setups with so many optical drives installed internally! Such a planned setup of yours, with multiple optical drives, will REQUIRE a motherboard with at least 10 SATA ports all controlled natively by the Intel motherboard chipset (which, sadly, no current Intel desktop chipset supports more than six total SATA ports natively).

• 7. Re: First PC build: video editing workstation
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

[Moved to Hardware forum.]

• 8. Re: First PC build: video editing workstation
                        mogguai Level 1

Hello all,

Thank you to everyone for your input. It really is great to have your help.

Since talking to yourselves and to some other helpful people on Tom's Hardware, and doing more reading around the subject, I've decided to take a different approach on a few things:

Someone over at Tom's Hardware pointed out that if I was not planning on over-clocking then the i7 4770k is a redundant choice for the CPU, and I would be better off going with a Xeon, coupled with ECC RAM, in order to gain the maximum stability. However, the required budget for a system built around a Xeon CPU (which could achieve the same power as an over-clocked Core CPU) isn't feasable. So, with this insight, together with some of Harm Milaard's wisdom, I have decided stick with the Core i7 CPU and over-clock it.

Harm and a few other sources seem to be suggesting that working with DSLR media (which my girlfriend will be, she has a Canon 5D III) a 4 core CPU might be lacking the requisite power for complex projects. Based on this I am thinking of upping the original budget a bit and attempting to build a version of Harm's "Low-end Warrior", found here. Which would look like this:

CPU
                        Intel Core i7 4930K
                        CPU Cooler
                        Cooler Master Hyper 412S
                        Video card
                        EVGA GeForce GTX 760
                        Motherboard
                        Asus P9X79-E WS
                        RAM
                        Corsair Vengeance 32GB
                        SSD
                        Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB
                        HDD 1
                        Seagate Barracuda 2TB
                        HDD 2
                        Seagate Barracuda 2TB
                        HDD 3
                        Seagate Barracuda 2TB
                        Monitor 1
                        Asus VS247H-P 23.6"
                        Monitor 2
                        Asus VS247H-P 23.6"
                        Optical drive
                        LG WH14NS40 Blue-ray/DVD/CD
                        Wireless card
                        Asus PCE-N15
                        Power suply
                        Corsair Professional AX 860i
                        Case
                        Fractal Design ARC XL

What do you think?

Ps. Regarding the optical drives: I see the logic of not having them internal. I will look into other options, perhaps a dvd duplicator.

• 9. Re: First PC build: video editing workstation
                          cc_merchant Level 4

This is one place to look: Primera Bravo DVD Duplicators.

A less affordable but higher end place to look is Rimage Disc Duplicators. Rimage is considered among the best, if not THE best among duplicators.

• 10. Re: First PC build: video editing workstation
                            Indio22

Hello RjL190365, I think the two Marvell Sata ports (GA-Z87X-UD4H) do support optical drives.  But not one optical and one storage drive.  It has to be one or the other.

• 11. Re: First PC build: video editing workstation
                              JEShort01 Level 4

Excellent build list! This will serve you and your girlfriend very well I'm sure.

The only item to maybe consider for an upgrade would be the GPU if you care about DVD render speed. A GTX 770 or 780 would definitely speed up that step in your workflow. OTOH, if output render speed does not matter to you, stick with the GTX 760.

Cheers,

Jim

• 12. Re: First PC build: video editing workstation

For some more fine tuning information, go to http://ppbm7.com/index.php/tweakers-page and click on Balanced Systems

• 13. Re: First PC build: video editing workstation
                                  RjL190365 Level 4

I was also incorrect about that Marvell controller not supporting RAID. It does support RAID 0 or RAID 1. However, even in RAID 0, the Marvell controller is still slower than the native Intel SATA ports not configured in RAID.

• 14. Re: First PC build: video editing workstation
                                    mogguai Level 1

Hello all,

After checking up on a few things I think I am happy witht this spec.

The only issue I can see in terms of balance (given my girlfriend's specific set of needs and the budget), depends on how I decide to configure the disks. I think I will try and configure them as they are described in Harm's "Low-end Warrior". That is: SSD for OS, 2x RAID0 stripes (each consisting of 2x 1TB HDDs), plus a 3TB HDD for back-up. This should create read/write speeds better matched to the rest of the spec, right?

So the spec now looks like this:

CPU
                                    Intel Core i7 4930K
                                    CPU Cooler
                                    Cooler Master Hyper 412S
                                    Video card
                                    EVGA GeForce GTX 760
                                    Motherboard
                                    Asus P9X79-E WS
                                    RAM
                                    Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR3-1600 DIMM
                                    SSD
                                    Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB
                                    HDD 1
                                    Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200rpm
                                    HDD 2
                                    HDD 3
                                    HDD 4
                                    HDD 5
                                    Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200rpm
                                    Monitor 1
                                    Asus VS247H-P 23.6"
                                    Monitor 2
                                    Asus VS247H-P 23.6"
                                    Optical drive
                                    Pioneer BDR-208DBK Blu-Ray/DVD/CD
                                    Power suply
                                    Corsair Professional AX 860i
                                    Case
                                    Fractal Design ARC XL

Do you have any other advice/warnings before I go ahead? Will this all work?

Again, thank you all.

Sam