2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2013 1:38 PM by Nancy OShea

404 error on iPad and iPhone

zcdz

I have an old site converted from GoLive to Dreamweaver. There is a password protected area on the site. The script for the password was created with GoLive and imported to DW.

When trying to access the password protected page on iPad or iPhone there is a 404 error. If you type in the url addy the page loads.

coloradocorgi.org

password link at bottom of page

coloradocorgi.org/pemmy.html

page linked to the password

Is there any way to keep the password protected functionality on iPhone and iPad?

(I'm currently on DW CS6 and Mac OS 10.8.5)

TIA

Ziska

• 1. Re: 404 error on iPad and iPhone
          Jon Fritz II Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Javascript is the worst way to do any kind of password protection because everything is "client-sided", if you know where (and how) to look, you can easily gain access to the UN/PW to enter a restricted page, or bypass it all together.

A much better route to go would be to password protect a folder on your website via your hosting company. Most hosts will give you the ability to set the password protection on a folder by folder basis right through your Admin control panel. That password protection is controlled by the server, not the user's browser, so it is much, much more secure.

Attempting to update a script created by GoLive so it works on a device that was invented after GoLive was killed is probably an exercise in futility.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: 404 error on iPad and iPhone
            Nancy OShea Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have to agree with Jon.  Client-side scripts just aren't secure enough.

If your server is Linux, you can create password protected pages with .htaccess and .htpasswd files in the directory you wish to protect.

http://www.htaccesstools.com/articles/password-protection/

Nancy O.

1 person found this helpful