8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2007 8:33 AM by Ja-rod

Error messages in Director

Ja-rod Level 1
      My Director projector and Director itself are crashing in Windows Vista. There are times the program will run perfectly, but most times it will crash in the same places.

I am enclosing the error messages I am getting and I'm hoping to find out what they mean and why they are causing the programs to crash. I am using the Mpeg Advance Xtra and BuddyAPI Xtra. Each error message is one individual crash.

Faulting application Director.exe, version 10.1.0.11, time stamp 0x413ffbfa, faulting module Flash Asset.x32, version 10.1.0.11, time stamp 0x413fff19, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x0004f319, process id 0xe88, application start time 0x01c83e8dc3d46c0a.

Faulting application Director.exe, version 10.1.0.11, time stamp 0x413ffbfa, faulting module WINMM.dll, version 6.0.6000.16386, time stamp 0x4549be1d, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x000051f5, process id 0xf4c, application start time 0x01c83e8d42bdd25a.

Faulting application Playing it Safe.exe, version 10.1.0.11, time stamp 0x413ffc3a, faulting module Flash Asset.x32, version 10.1.0.11, time stamp 0x413fff19, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x0004f319, process id 0xe10, application start time 0x01c83dc40d7b7daa.

Faulting application Playing it Safe.exe, version 10.1.0.11, time stamp 0x413ffc3a, faulting module WINMM.dll, version 6.0.6000.16386, time stamp 0x4549be1d, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x00004f19, process id 0x368, application start time 0x01c83dc3d35de59a.

Thanks for your help in advance.
      Jared
        • 1. Re: Error messages in Director
          Level 7
          > My Director projector and Director itself are crashing in Windows Vista. There
          > are times the program will run perfectly, but most times it will crash in the
          > same places.

You perhaps need to point out what it is doing in the places it crashes
          - perhaps post a little code.
          From the look of the error messages it is the Flash Asset xtra that is
          crashing. Is there a chance you have a Flash sprite telling Director to
          navigate to a frame where the Flash sprite no longer exists?
          • 2. Re: Error messages in Director
            Wolfgang Herold Level 2
            > Is there a chance you have a Flash sprite telling Director to
            > navigate to a frame where the Flash sprite no longer exists?

e.g. a framescript

global my_flag
            on exit frame
            if my_flag = 1 then -- flag set by flash
            got to somewhere
            else
            go to the frame
            end if
            end

regards
            Wolfgang

• 3. Re: Error messages in Director
              Ja-rod Level 1
              Here is some code from a screen where my program crashes.

Each of the following snippets of code are from each frame, which are back-to-back.

on exitFrame me

if sprite(1).playing then
              go to the frame
              else
              unload
              go to the frame + 1
              end if
              end

on exitFrame me

if sprite(2).playing then
              go to the frame
              else
              set the movieRate of sprite 3 = 0
              unload
              go to the frame + 1
              end if
              end

on exitFrame me
              go to the frame
              end

It is on the thrid frame where the program crashes. Sometimes it'll crash when I mouse over my navigation button,. which is also flash, and sometimes it won't crash at all.

As far as what you mentioned:
              > Is there a chance you have a Flash sprite telling Director to
              > navigate to a frame where the Flash sprite no longer exists?

Am I doing that right now?

Thanks,
              Jared
              • 4. Re: Error messages in Director
                Ja-rod Level 1
                One other question. In my original post, I also had error messages that had WINMM.dll as the failing component. This was a separate error at a separate crash. The times for each error are different.
                • 5. Re: Error messages in Director
                  Level 7
                  Try dropping the 'unload' command and see if that makes it more stable.
                  • 6. Re: Error messages in Director
                    Ja-rod Level 1
                    My code originally did not have the unload statement, and it still crashed then. I added it recently to see if by freeing up memory, that the program would not crash, but it still does.
                    • 7. Re: Error messages in Director
                      the real POTMO Level 1
                      having flashsprites is always a bit buggy since they run in a seperate thread. If you are trying to access a flashsprite that's not loaded it will crash boom bang.
                      Can be that. It would also explain why it crashes randomly.
                      • 8. Re: Error messages in Director
                        Ja-rod Level 1
                        I wound up updating my Flash Asset.x32 with one from 8/7/2007. That seemed to fix the crashing problem on Vista as the program didn't crash again.