3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2013 12:22 AM by Laubender

What is the best way create an interactive and portable study guide?

jat0216

I am creating an interactive study guide and I'm wondering which Adobe product would be the best product to use for this project. The main functionality that I'd like to incorporate is clickable buttons. I'd like the reader to be able to click on a button that will then display a label for a picture and/or make the label disapper.

• 1. Re: What is the best way create an interactive and portable study guide?
          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Unlikely that this -- the InDesign Scripting Forum -- is what you were looking for. The "scripting" that is under discussion here is scripting InDesign *itself*, i.e., the scripts move InDesign objects around and have nothing to do with "interactivity". (Or more accurately, while you *can* write an interactive script, it would only work in a running version of InDesign and it would actively modify the InDesign document. Much like a Word macro, if you get my drift.)

You *probably* want something as high-end as an InDesign DPS application (which has a subforum of its own), *or* an "interactive" PDF, which you would create with Acrobat Pro. You can design the DPS App and/or PDF with InDesign (and use scripts to do so) but any and all interactivity need to be added afterwards.

Some people will say, well, you can also create an SWF with Id, but then again some people will say anything. Using InDesign as an SWF-creating application is like using AutoCAD to design a book with: possible but not the recommended usage.

• 2. Re: What is the best way create an interactive and portable study guide?
            jat0216 Level 1

Thanks for the thorough explanation. Your analogy expressed the point well. I will try the InDesign DPS and Acrobat Pro forums and hopefully get a lead there. Thanks!

• 3. Re: What is the best way create an interactive and portable study guide?
              Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The most cost effective version of DPS (as part of Creative Cloud) is restricted to iPads as publishing platform. If you want to publish for smart phones and Android OS as well the price tag will climb extremly high.

eBooks (HTML+JavaScript+CSS) out of InDesign would be an option, too…

Not an Adobe product and restricted to the Apple software and hardware eco system:
              iBooks Author (for iPads only).

http://www.scoop.it/t/publishing-with-ibooks-author

Uwe