5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2013 3:49 PM by the_wine_snob

Finding webcam video

buffalobluff Level 1

Hello Mr. Romano: Since the Oct.20,2013  1:45 PM reply from you I have been very happy. After yesterday not so much. I edited my Logitech webcam video and when I was finished for the day I clicked File and clicked SAVE AS. I normaly click SAVE but I thought SAVE AS would be safer. Well the name of the file changed from George Bio. #1 WMV to George Bio. #1 PREL.When I load it into Premier  Elements 10 the monitor and all the panels in the Sceneline and Timeline are a dark red. They used to be a yellow color and it worked. Now I can click on the (red) monitor start arrow and the timer runs but nothing shows. There is a George Bio. #1 WMV icon in the Organizer but the computer cannot activate it. Do I have to start all over or can this be fixed? Also can you please advise. If I make a new video and run it thru  Windows Movie Maker and get a video with George Bio. #1 WMV , what should be the correct New Project settings? The webcam records in HD 1080.  Thank you for any help.    George

• 1. Re: Finding webcam video
          A.T. Romano Level 7

George

Let us start with the last question

If I make a new video and run it thru  Windows Movie Maker and get a video with George Bio. #1 WMV , what should be the correct New Project settings? The webcam records in HD 1080.

You will need to check this out, but it looks like your webcam video is 1080p30 (that is 1920 x 1080 @ 30 progressive frames per second). If you imported that into Windows Movie Maker and wanted to export it as 1080p30, when you got to Save Movie,

a. first see what the program wants to give you under Recommended Settings...if it looks like 1080p30, go with that setting.

b. if Recommended Settings did not look correct, then go down the list to where it says Create Custom Setting and do just that, making sure to include in your custom setting

Frame Width 1920

Frame Height 1080

Frame Rate 30 frames per second

Now if you wanted to take the export 1080p30 wmv file and import that into Premiere Elements 10, then

a. Set the Premiere Elements 10 project preset = NTSC/DSLR/1080p/DSLR 1080p30

b. Then use Get Media/Files and Folders to bring your 1080p30 wmv into the project.

Now for this saving matter....lots of possibilities...

Given you had the George Bio #1. wmv on the Timeline of your Premiere Elements 10 project (this project otherwise known as a project file named project.prel). What you have is a Premiere Elements 10 project which includes a copy of your wmv video file (not the original) that traces back to the original on the hard drive.

When you opened the new project, the save for that project was set in the new project dialog where you set the project preset. The project (project.prel) with the video inside it is found in the new project dialog save location.  And that is where the saved closed project would be automatically when you saved closed the project.

However, you decided to Save As before the Save or in place of the Save, two leading possibilities are:

a. you over wrote the original project prel file

b. you now have a version of that project.prel in two different places

In all this, you should not have lost the original George Bio#1 WMV. That should be on the computer hard drive where you saved it before Premiere Elemens entered into all this.

Do you remember changing the file name and/or location for the project.prel when you did the Save As?

Let us start here and then see what we can put together to get beyond these setbacks.

Minor setback. We will be back on track again.

ATR

• 2. Re: Finding webcam video
            the_wine_snob Level 9

George,

Is this the "red" Timeline, that you are getting?

Media_Offline.png

If so, that will tell us a lot.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Finding webcam video
              A.T. Romano Level 7

George,

In keeping with Hunt's screenshot and the troubleshooting implications behind it, please follow the details that I have written in post numbered 1, but make sure once you have created a Premiere Elements project and imported media that you do not move or delete that media from the hard drive save location where the original existed at import into Premiere Elements.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Finding webcam video
                buffalobluff Level 1

Hello Mr. Hunt: Yes this is how my project looked. I have looked on my hard drive and my George Bio #1 WMV is not there. I am going to try another short test video and make picture inserts and see if I am successful. I will then remake the full 35 minute video. Thank you for your help.

• 5. Re: Finding webcam video
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, and thanks for the update. There are several reasons for the "Media Offline" error. This article covers most of those: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5072666#5072666

I hope that one of those situations provides you with a solution.

Good luck,

Hunt