6 Replies Latest reply: Dec 18, 2007 7:01 AM by JoeDaSilva RSS

png to vector

yard camel Community Member
      Hi all -- I've got a color file in png format. When printed it's maybe 3 inches across. I need to print it at about 10 inches across, in top quality (no fuzziness etc.).

I believe that the img needs to be in vector format to do this, but how do I get there from here? Working in FW4, but also have full Creative Suite 3 available. I've tried output wizards and online help but I'm not seeing the answer.

Thanks, Anne
        • 1. Re: png to vector
          Community Member
          Try opening the file in Illustrator and use the Live Trace feature to
          convert to vector.

--
          Alec
          Adobe Community Expert
          • 2. Re: png to vector
            JoeDaSilva Community Member
            There's no "button" or "filter" to turn a raster image into a vector. You can try Livetrace as Alec suggested, but your results could very well be unsatisfactory. The only way to turn a flat bitmap image into a vector file it to draw, or rather trace the file using the pen tool.

Try this link, or google for yourself:

http://veerle.duoh.com/blog/comments/illustrator_pen_tool_exercises/
            • 3. Re: png to vector
              yard camel Community Member
              Well, I've tried Live Trace, and it seems to 'convert'. But when I place it into the target file, I can't expand it beyond a certain point without it essentially pixellating. So now I'm wondering if there's an upper limit even to vector images? Is an increase from a 4-inch original to a ten-inch copy too much?
              • 4. Re: png to vector
                Community Member
                yard camel wrote:
                So now I'm wondering if there's an upper limit even
                > to vector images?

No, there isn't. I suspect that you somehow converted it back to a
                bitmap, or that you have zoomed in on the image instead of viewing it at
                100%. Can you post a link to the image?

--
                Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
                --------------------------------------------------------------
                http://www.projectseven.com
                Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
                CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
                http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
                --------------------------------------------------------------
                • 5. Re: png to vector
                  Community Member
                  yard camel wrote:
                  > Well, I've tried Live Trace, and it seems to 'convert'. But when I place it
                  > into the target file

How exactly do you do that (precise steps)? If you are copy-pasting from
                  Illustrator to Fireworks it may well be that Fireworks is rasterizing
                  Live Trace's vector objects.

And FWIW, I disagree with Joey that using the Pen tool is the only way
                  to turn a bitmap image into a vector file. Live Trace actually does a
                  phenomenal job of it and it is very flexible. Especially when you take
                  into account that until you expend the results, you can keep tweaking
                  the settings of the Live Trace object. The Pen tool may yield better
                  results but it can be a very time consuming process. Depending on the
                  image you are working on, it may not be worth spending all that time
                  doing it, the law of diminishing returns and all.

Starting from a good Live Trace object and tweaking an expanded copy
                  with the Pen and other more basic vector tools may be the best approach.
                  That way you can get very realistic results, especially if you use
                  Illustrator's Gradient Mesh feature to recreate more complex images
                  where just using a bunch of smaller vector shapes may not give you
                  exactly what you want or when Live Trace has to create too many small
                  objects to recreate a complex bitmap with the required level of fidelity

HTH!

--
                  Stéphane Bergeron
                  reach:connect:communicate
                  www.webfocusdesign.com
                  blog:tutorials:articles:gallery
                  www.pixelyzed.com
                  • 6. Re: png to vector
                    JoeDaSilva Community Member
                    Live trace is perfectly fine for simple very images, otherwise the results are typically garbage in my opinion.

Try saving your AI file as a version 8 file, then import it into Fireworks.