1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 1, 2006 6:32 PM by Newsgroup_User

The Dreamweaver Library

the_student_101
      I am developing a website currently (roughly 50-60 pages); and am using templates (about 4 different ones); have a question about the library function in Dreamweaver. When files are saved in the Library (or exported from Fireworks as a Library file) it displays in Dreamweaver only as a bunch of images (as if there were no subfolders whatsoever).

Anyway, the question is--do the subfolders appear when you upload the site online? Or will they only be copied and put all together in one folder called library? Also, when I export a Library item from Fireworks; it creates a Fireworks file as well; then both are stored in the same folder... does all that have to be uploaded on the site (fireworks.png files and Lib. images)?

Last quick question; is it a good idea to use behaviors with Library elements? I finally figured out how to do it; now am wondering if it is reliable on a site with many pages. For example, making a rollover button (with two states) into a library item, and formating it to carry the behavior as well?

Thanks
        • 1. Re: The Dreamweaver Library
          Level 7
          > about 4 different ones

Why so many? Most (all?) sites can be built with 1 template and a bit of
          elbow grease.

> When files are saved in the Library

One doesn't save files in the Library. One selects fragments of a page, and
          adds them to the Library by using MODIFY | Library > Add Object to Library.

> it displays in Dreamweaver only as a bunch of images (as if
          > there were no subfolders whatsoever).

Sorry - I don't have any idea what this means.

> Anyway, the question is--do the subfolders appear when you upload the site
          > online?

What subfolders? You wouldn't upload the Library folder ever. And you
          would not have subfolders in the Library folder, either. Is that what you
          mean?

> Last quick question; is it a good idea to use behaviors with Library
          > elements?

Sure - why not? But you have to know how to do it to make it work.

> For example, making a rollover button (with two states)
          > into a library item, and formating it to carry the behavior as well?

That's not how you do it. You make the rollover in DW. You select the
          button and add it to the Library. When you then insert this button into any
          page, DW is smart enough to recognize that it needs the supporting
          javascript and automatically adds that to the page as well as the Library
          item. A well formed Library item cannot contain <html>, <head>, or <body>
          tags, and it cannot contain any embedded or linked stylesheets.
          Furthermore, it should not contain any javascript.

--
          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
          Adobe Community Expert
          (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
          ==================
          http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com - Template Triage!
          http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/ - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
          ==================

"the student 101" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:eaolup$1ae$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          >I am developing a website currently (roughly 50-60 pages); and am using
          > templates (about 4 different ones); have a question about the library
          > function
          > in Dreamweaver. When files are saved in the Library (or exported from
          > Fireworks
          > as a Library file) it displays in Dreamweaver only as a bunch of images
          > (as if
          > there were no subfolders whatsoever).
          >
          > Anyway, the question is--do the subfolders appear when you upload the site
          > online? Or will they only be copied and put all together in one folder
          > called
          > library? Also, when I export a Library item from Fireworks; it creates a
          > Fireworks file as well; then both are stored in the same folder... does
          > all
          > that have to be uploaded on the site (fireworks.png files and Lib.
          > images)?
          >
          > Last quick question; is it a good idea to use behaviors with Library
          > elements?
          > I finally figured out how to do it; now am wondering if it is reliable on
          > a
          > site with many pages. For example, making a rollover button (with two
          > states)
          > into a library item, and formating it to carry the behavior as well?
          >
          > Thanks
          >