11 Replies Latest reply: Nov 25, 2013 5:34 PM by shooternz RSS

Premiere Pro CC 7.1 - 'Trim Monitor' no longer available?

KevinGreen

My workflow in Premier Pro CC 7.0.1 involved heavy use of the Trim Monitor for frame accurate adjustment of trims. After upgrading to 7.1 I found that 'Trim Monitor' was no longer an option on the 'Window' menu. Has the Trim Monitor been dropped?

I know that I can achieve the same results in other ways, but found them so cumbersome in comparison to my previous workflow that I have reverted to 7.0.1 for now.

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro CC 7.1 - 'Trim Monitor' no longer available?
          shooternz Community Member

Works fine here.

I use shortcut "T" though. 

It does not appear in my Window Menu.  (Assume it did in the past?)

Windows CC7.1 etc...

• 2. Re: Premiere Pro CC 7.1 - 'Trim Monitor' no longer available?
            Mark Mapes Adobe Employee

To elaborate on ShooterNZ's response, the functionality of the Trim Monitor has been folded into the Program Monitor. The shortcut "T" is one of several ways to switch to the Trim mode.

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro CC 7.1 - 'Trim Monitor' no longer available?

What are the other ways Mark?

I use Trim Monitor a lot once I have assembled my basic edit from the source monitor.

I have built a keyboard shortcut and my entire edit workflow around it in fact ...but all based on "T"

"T" will bounce me to nearest edit point ,... apply a Trim Mode and open Trim Monitor

I can use the Trim Monitor directly  or I can (custom) Shift-Z toggle thru the other Edit Modes for what I want to use.

The above all work so well with Edit to Play Head "E".

For me...a sweet little combination of Keyboard and mouse action editing.

• 4. Re: Premiere Pro CC 7.1 - 'Trim Monitor' no longer available?
                KevinGreen Community Member

Thank you. I was aware of the 'T' shortcut, but as you correctly distinguish this switches the Program Monitor to Trim mode rather than opening the separate Trim Monitor which as far as I can ascertain could only be accessed through the Window menu. You response implies that the Trim Monitor is now dead, although it is still documented separately from Trim mode in the help file, and although the latter has been updated to indicate what's new in 7.1 there is no indication that Trim Monitor has been withdrawn in that update.

You say that the functionality of the Trim Monitor has been folded into the Program Monitor and I accept that that is true since that was the other way of working that I mentioned in my original post. I was able to achieve the same results, so the functionality is there. What is not is the same ease of use. Specfically using the Trim Monitor I could move quickly through many trim points using the up and down keys to move been points and then the left and right keys (without any modifiers) to adjust the trim by a frame or two. In Trim mode I have to use Crtl-Left and Ctrl-Right to get the same result. This slows me down considerably since if I try to move too fast the left and right hands get out of sync. If I hit up or down whilst Ctrl is still depressed, or left or right whilst it is not depressed, I get dumped back in Program Monitor normal mode and have to hit 'T' again to re-enter Trim Mode. This may seem minor but the one time I tried this it doubled my edit time and led me to spend time and effort to revert to 7.0.1.

• 5. Re: Premiere Pro CC 7.1 - 'Trim Monitor' no longer available?
                  Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

KevinGreen wrote:

You response implies that the Trim Monitor is now dead, although it is still documented separately from Trim mode in the help file, and although the latter has been updated to indicate what's new in 7.1 there is no indication that Trim Monitor has been withdrawn in that update.

Hi Kevin,

Yes, the Trim Monitor has been deprecated as of Premiere Pro CC (7.1). I'm sorry the note has not yet been added to the documentation. I'll make sure the tech writer makes note of that.

KevinGreen wrote:

This slows me down considerably since if I try to move too fast the left and right hands get out of sync. If I hit up or down whilst Ctrl is still depressed, or left or right whilst it is not depressed, I get dumped back in Program Monitor normal mode and have to hit 'T' again to re-enter Trim Mode. This may seem minor but the one time I tried this it doubled my edit time and led me to spend time and effort to revert to 7.0.1.

Please send your request to the product team using the following form: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

Thanks,

Kevin

• 6. Re: Premiere Pro CC 7.1 - 'Trim Monitor' no longer available?
                    J. Simon Community Member

Have you tried just changing the shortcuts?

• 7. Re: Premiere Pro CC 7.1 - 'Trim Monitor' no longer available?

In Trim mode I have to use Crtl-Left and Ctrl-Right to get the same result. This slows me down considerably since if I try to move too fast the left and right hands get out of sync.

Seriously ...one modifier key "slows you down considerably" ...and made it worth while going back to previous version that has so many other significant  ways to "slow one down".

How fast do you need to go?

• 8. Re: Premiere Pro CC 7.1 - 'Trim Monitor' no longer available?

As fast as I could in 7.0.1 would be nice!

Seriously, the issue here is not such much the need for a single modifier key, but the fact that if in my haste I get the timing of pressing this key slightly out in comparision to what my right hand is doing then I get dumped out of trim mode and have to press 'T' again to re-enter it. In order to avoid this I found I had to slow down, and although the delay per trim point was possibly only half a second this adds up over several hundred ponts. Perhaps with practice my co-ordination would improve but I decided that since I did not need any of the new features introduced in 7.1 the best option for me personally was to revert to 7.0.1. I should add that my use of Premiere Pro is very basic, and in many ways I am using a sledgehammer to crack a nut, but it is a sledgehammer which I have available through by CC subscription (which I have mainly for working on still images in Photoshop) and which does the job more efficiently than the tools I used to use.

• 9. Re: Premiere Pro CC 7.1 - 'Trim Monitor' no longer available?

Customise to any  single key  that suits you and problem solved.

FWIW

I just set up my Mouse with customiseable functions just to suit part of my workflow.

From the (wireless) Mouse I can:

Inch Frame by Frame

Set In and Out Points

Play and Stop

Toggle  from Source Monitor to Timeline (Sequence)

Enter Trim Mode

Change Edit Modes

etc....

• 10. Re: Premiere Pro CC 7.1 - 'Trim Monitor' no longer available?

Thank you for your suggestion of changing the keyboard shortcuts to resolve my issue. I did look at this when Jim Simon made the same suggestion above but ruled it out when I found that the 'Keyboard Shortcuts' dialogue did not allow one to define the keys used for trimming in the program monitor. However when you made the same suggestion and gave some examples of what you had done I looked again, and after some exploring discovered that the relevant shortcuts needed to be changed at application level. What I have done is switch the shortcuts for moving the playhead and trimming so that left and right unmodified adjust the trim by one frame (and with shift adjust it by five) whereas left and right with control now move the playhead one frame (and with shift move it by five). This now gives me the same workflow in Trim mode that I had in the old Trim Monitor and I have therefore re-upgraded to 7.1.

Thanks for your interest and help (and patience with a relative novice).

• 11. Re: Premiere Pro CC 7.1 - 'Trim Monitor' no longer available?

Welcome back to 7.1

I cant tell you how many times I have adapted my edit workflow and techniques due to  changes and the development of Premiere.  ( I have been using it since the very very first version).

Basically ..the evolution has been  fantastic and every change..has been pprogressively on the whole..for the better.

Adapt to move forward..