32 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2013 5:06 PM by A.T. Romano

264 files

mros357

When I import my 264 files into Adobe Premiere I do not have sound??

• 1. Re: 264 files
          A.T. Romano Level 7

mros357

There is not enough information supplied to get at the core of your issue.

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running? What is a description of your computer resources?

What are the properties of these 264 files that you import into the project - if video/audio files, video and audio compression, frame size, frame rate, interlaced or progressive frame rate, file extension, pixel aspect ratio, duration? If stills, how many and what pixel dimensions?

Based on the properties of your source media what are you or the program setting as the project preset?

Where do you not have sound - play back with the project and or in the export of the Timeline? If the export, what player? If export, give details of the export settings.

After you are finished with your editing of the Timeline, what is your intended export of this Timeline?

Then the usual questions...do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on the computer with your Premiere Elements? Are you running the program as Run As Administrator or from a User Account with Administrative Privileges?

Lots of answers needed. We can go at whatever pace you would like to work through this issue. Please do not hesitate to ask if you need clarification on anything written.

The answers are in the details.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: 264 files
            mros357 Level 1

I have a video (records audio) system that records files as 264 type. When I pull the files from the system via thumbdrive I can play them on my computer using the player that it came with system. When I import the files into my newly purchased Adobe Premiere Elements 12 the preview plays but there is no sound. I'm trying to take my 264 files and put them onto a DVD (more common format such AVI) that can be played by multiple business computers who have limited players and software.I asked the guy at Best buy about converter software and this is what he sold me. He said that I would be able to import the 264 files and put them to dvd in a variety of more commonly used formats.

• 3. Re: 264 files
              A.T. Romano Level 7

mros357

Thanks for the important clarification. I read your thread as you had 264 files that you were importing into some version of Premiere Elements on either Windows or Mac.

From what you just wrote, it would appear that you have video with H.264 video compression that you are trying to edit in Premiere Elements 12.

Most of the questions are as asked originally but let me go over them with this new information available.

1. What are the properties of these video files besides it having H.264 video compression...audio compression, frame rate, interlaced or progressive frame rate...what camera did this video come from?

2. Do you have the latest version of Quicktime installed on your computer with the Premiere Elements 12? Just what computer do you have and what resources does it have? Are you running the program as Run As Administrator or from a User Account with Administrative Privileges?

3. What are you setting for the project preset for this program or are you letting the program set the project preset?

Do you have any video with a different format that you can use as a control? In other words, do you get sound with any other imports that have audio or is the problem just with these specific video files?

Once we get the above details together and assure that the program is set up properly, we are in a good position to troubleshoot.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: 264 files
                A.T. Romano Level 7

mros357

We need more details on that "video (records audio) system" to get a handle on those H.264 files.

I will look for your details in the morning.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: 264 files
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

mross357,

Along with the answers to ATR's questions, when you Import those H.264 files into PrE, are you allowing the program to fully Conform your Audio, before you begin editing the file(s) on the Timeline? This is a necessary step, and might take a few moments, depending on a lot of factors. One needs to let the Conforming complete 100%. This article goes into more detail: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3892177#3892177

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: 264 files
                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Codec & Format information, with 2 links inside to read -read both links in reply #1 http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1270588

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... A screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/592070?tstart=30 for screen shot instructions

For PC http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en or http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

• 7. Re: 264 files
                      mros357 Level 1

ATR,

I'm running a windows PC as the adminastrator. When I open Adobe Elements and it asks to add files I select the file I want and during the playback there is no sound. I'm not trying to perform any editing I'mn just trying to convert the file from 264 to a more usable format. I want to put the file or files onto a disc (DVD) for my client who can not open 264 files or install the player that I have because they are users on their work computers not adminstartors.

video and audio compression, frame size, frame rate, interlaced or progressive frame rate, file extension, pixel aspect ratio, duration? If stills, how many and what pixel dimensions?

They are not stills. that is about the only question I can answer from above. I'm not very experienced in the video editing.

Do I need to install Quicktime player to use Adobe Elements?

• 8. Re: 264 files
                        mros357 Level 1

I'm running a windows PC as the adminastrator. When I open Adobe Elements and it asks to add files I select the file I want and during the playback there is no sound. I'm not trying to perform any editing I'mn just trying to convert the file from 264 to a more usable format. I want to put the file or files onto a disc (DVD) for my client who can not open 264 files or install the player that I have because they are users on their work computers not adminstartors.

video and audio compression, frame size, frame rate, interlaced or progressive frame rate, file extension, pixel aspect ratio, duration? If stills, how many and what pixel dimensions? Codec?

They are not stills. that is about the only question I can answer from above. I'm not very experienced in the video editing.

Do I need to install Quicktime player to use Adobe Elements?

• 9. Re: 264 files
                          mros357 Level 1

I sent an email because it was the only I could copy the file type as an attachment. I hope it came through. Because other than the video with audio not being still shots but a continuous recording is about the only question I can answer from above. I do not anything about compressions, interlacing. Do I need to install quicktime player to use Adobe Elements? I run a windows PC as do my clients. Except my clients are not administrators only users on their work computers. That is why I'm trying to get these 264 files changed from 264 to a more common format such as avi because my clients do not have the ability open 264 files or install software on their work computers. 

• 10. Re: 264 files
                            mros357 Level 1

I tried to insert a file and publish it to a dvd just to see if I could get it to work. I did not perform any editing or make changes on the timeline and since it gave me the publish option I assumned that is was done loading or conforming.

• 11. Re: 264 files
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

mros357

We appreciate your help in supplying us with details to help you resolve the Premiere Elements no audio issue.

First, QuickTime is a requirement for Premiere Elements. So, please install that program.

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

This 32 bit  QuickTime version is applicable to Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 64 bit as well as what is cited at the download site.

Next, we need to know what you are putting on the Timeline so that we can put before us what is going in and what is not coming out. So far, we have only H.264 video compression. If the file extension asked for is .mov, then that puts more emphasis on the need for QuickTime installation.

We need to get to more information about those files. You mentioned video (records audio) system as the source for these videos. Does the manual for the system give any information on the formats that it is generating? Do you set the settings or do you just take what you get from the system?

If you have a small sample of the video that you will like us to try in our Premiere Elements to confirm the issue as general vs specific to your computer, we will gladly do that.

Please check out the above and then we will go on your further input.

Thanks.

ATR

• 12. Re: 264 files
                                mros357 Level 1

ok. I was able to to work a different formatted video to try and see what I was doing wrong. I had a mpeg video that I used. I opened up Adobe Elements and selected the add files tab, added the file and when it took it from the box and brought it down to the time line it dropped the video with audio together. When I select the 264 file or files it does not add the audio file it just put the video clip in the time line.

• 13. Re: 264 files
                                  mros357 Level 1

ATR,

attached is a video clip. The system does not allow me to select different formats I have to use what it gives and that is the 264 format.

• 14. Re: 264 files
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

mros357

How did you attach the video clip? It did not get through. A moderator may be by to make suggestions for getting us a copy to work with.

I will contact Steve Grisetti, the moderator, to see if he can help us work out the details so that we can take a look at your sample clip to try to determine the cause of the audio problem.

Thanks.

ATR

• 15. Re: 264 files
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

mros357

Just wanted to add - great troubleshooting using a different format, pointing the issue to this specific H.264 video.

Do you have a way to use a program such as Dropbox for your video sending - inserting here the link to the Dropbox clip?

I have a question out to Steve Grisetti for his suggestion on the best way for you to send the video for troubleshooting.

ATR

• 16. Re: 264 files
                                        mros357 Level 1

I used Adobe workspaces and emailed you the link.

https://workspaces.acrobat.com/app.html#o

• 17. Re: 264 files
                                          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I don't think you can post an  .mp4 to this forum. You will need to upload the video to a site like Dropbox and then post a link to it here.

Meantime, have you considered using a program like Audacity (free) to convert the .mp4 audio to a more conventional .wav file? It sure beats just fighting with the non-standard audio format.

• 18. Re: 264 files
                                            mros357 Level 1

Steve,

I followed the Adobe directions to use workspace to attach a video. This should of worked. I have not tried Audacity converter yet. I have tried others with no luck. I will try Audacity once I get back to my computer. Right now I using a work computer and do not have the ability to download form certain sites and that is one of them.

below is the link. I now share the file / video with you and ATR.

https://workspaces.acrobat.com/app.html#o

• 19. Re: 264 files
                                              mros357 Level 1

Steve,

I followed the directions from Adobe on how to use Adobe workspaces to attach a video. It should of worked for ATR. He was the only that listed to share the file with. I have since changed that to include yourself. Both of you should have access to the sample video. 

• 20. Re: 264 files
                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Mros357,

If that video is hosted on the Web already, you can link to it. If it is not, then you will not be able to do so.

I see that URL is for Acrobat. Do you have a hosting account with Adobe Acrobat?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 21. Re: 264 files
                                                  mros357 Level 1

Yes I do.

• 22. Re: 264 files
                                                    mros357 Level 1

I downloaded quicktime player. It will not open the 264 file for playback. I get error 2048 Quicktime does not recognize file.

• 23. Re: 264 files
                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

mros357

I have been tied up with troubleshooting tonight and am just catching up on what has been going on in the threads here.

Are we any closer for you posting a link to a download of this problem H.264 file? I see that you and Hunt have had some discussions, but are we gaining any ground on getting a sample so that we can check it out first hand?

There is one piece of information that is easy to come by, and I have not seen it offered yet. What is the file extension of the problem H.264 file?

Hoping we can put all this information together so that we can help you resolve your issue with this format.

Thanks.

ATR

• 24. Re: 264 files
                                                        mros357 Level 1

I posted a sample video using Adobe workplaces and shared it with yourself and Steve. Did either of you get it? I both posted the link here and direct emailed both of you the link.

• 25. Re: 264 files
                                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

mros357

I have not received a sample of your video. I have clicked your link but cannot find the sample. But, I am unfamiliar with the program that you are using for the sending. Hunt seems to have heard of it before. He should be along soon to advise all of us regarding what is happening with that sample in Adobe Workspaces.

In the meanmwhile, could you tell us what the file extension is for your H.264 video.....avi, .mov, .ts, qt, other? That will give us something to consider while the sample sending details are worked out.

Thanks.

ATR

• 26. Re: 264 files
                                                            mros357 Level 1

I'm trying to convert a video file with audio which is 264 format. Audacity from what I downloaded just does audio.

• 27. Re: 264 files
                                                              mros357 Level 1

I'm not sure what you mean by file extension? I logged into Adobe Workspaces and the video file is there. Can you log into Adobe Workspaces?

• 28. Re: 264 files
                                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

mros357

Yes. I did log into Adobe Workspaces. What am I supposed to click on after that to see your video? I thought that I had tried just about everything, but I will take another look.

With regard to your video and my request for the file extension of the video file.

When you import the file into Premiere Elements, it has a file name. The file name typically ends with for example a dot and often 3 letters which represent the file extension. The file extension at the end of the file name could be .avi, .mpg, .ts, .mov, .wmv, .and so on. Put another way, what is the full name that you see for the video file that you are importing into Premiere Elements?

Let me check Adobe Workspaces again.

To be continued....

ATR

Add On...Is there an Adobe Workspace setting where you might have classed the video as private rather than public/shared?

• 29. Re: 264 files
                                                                  mros357 Level 1

I've shared some of my files or folders with you. To open them, just click the link(s) below.

Dropbox.lnk (file://SHANER-PC/Users/srossie/Dropbox/Dropbox.lnk)

• 30. Re: 264 files
                                                                    mros357 Level 1

I listed yourself and Steve as readers able to share the file. I also, just put into the dropbox. Hopefully I did that right.When I pull up  the 264 files there is nothing at the end. Under Type it just says 264.

• 31. Re: 264 files
                                                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Mrros357,

I have been unable to access that file, hosted on Acrobat Workspaces. I am not sure if I need special permissions, a password, or perhaps other info, on how to access it.

I hit a brick wall on that site, but probably because I am not a part of your Workspaces group. Is there something that I need to do, to gain access?

Thanks, and good luck,

Hunt

• 32. Re: 264 files
                                                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

mros357

I too cannot get a sample of your video from Workspace or Dropbox sendings.

However, that may not be necessary. My repeated asking for your file extension on this problem file and you not seeing one sent me to Google to see alternative interpretation of your "264 Files". I have been interpreting them as video files with H.264 video compression and at this point unknown audio source.

However, I have found an alternative explanation where 264 does not equal H.264. Are your 264 from a security system video surveillance? If so, is there software that came with the Security System that enables you to work with the files?

Please check out the following online article. There is a converter mentioned that may or may not solve the problem.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On..I just noticed that I forgot to include the link to which I referred. I cannot find the link at this moment. But, if the above applies to you, you might look at a free program AVIGenerator and/or software that came with the security camera if that is what you have.