5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2013 5:34 AM by MrJono

CS4 messing up span column layouts from idml

MrJono

Hi,

I've tried searching for this, and although I'm sure there must be topics discussing the issue, I can't seem to find any. Please point me in the direction if this has featured already.

I've got a large 400page document created in CS6 that uses the span columns feature throughout. After the document was signed off the client requested a copy. They're having issues opening it in CS4 where tables that span columns are messing up the layout. I wondered if it was an issue going from CS6 to 4, so I opened in CS5.5 and created imdl files from there but they are still having the same issues.

Is this fixable? Hopefully without installing scripts etc as my client is not an experienced Indesign user and I'm unable to work from his machine.

• 1. Re: CS4 messing up span column layouts from idml
          Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

CS4 did not support the Span Columns feature.

Therefore backsaving the document using IDML - opening in CS4 the feature is not available so there is no way to use it.

Span Columns was introduced in CS5 - and that's why when you opened in CS5.5 the file looked ok.

In this order

1. Best that your client upgrades to CS6 or InDesign CC so that they avail of this feature.
          2. Advise your client you'll make text changes for an additional fee per edition of the book
          3. You would have to create the document using Text Frames and using 2 columns etc to recreate the file that can be opened in CS4 and provide them with an IDML file - for an additional fee (your time is valuable)
          • 2. Re: CS4 messing up span column layouts from idml
            MrJono Level 1

That's what I assumed. I think the upgrade is the best solution. They're not a design company, they just use the indesign files to create word versions via the recosoft conversion tool which they subscribe to, so it's not a case of text amends. Paying me to adjust the whole document to a 2 text box layout is going to cost a lot more than an upgrade!

I guess it's not surprising that adobe haven't created a solution to this problem when the easiest way to solve it is buy upgrading.

• 3. Re: CS4 messing up span column layouts from idml
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Lose the tinfoil hat! There's no conspiracy here.

Adobe adds features to new releases. How would imagine this would work?

Magic?

BTW, there is no upgrade path from CS4. It's full price for CS6 or move to

CC. The client may be better served with a month to month subscription to CC

when they need to work on your files.

• 4. Re: CS4 messing up span column layouts from idml
                Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

MrJono wrote:

I guess it's not surprising that adobe haven't created a solution to this problem when the easiest way to solve it is buy upgrading.

That's an awful assumption in which to make where you have no authority on the subject.

http://in-tools.com/article/whats-with-back-save-to-earlier-versions-of-indesign/

Although I do agree with you to a certain stance.

What should Adobe do with a 2 column layout that has a heading set to Span?

Should it remove the Span from the heading - then anchor a text frame across the two columns, make a wraparound for the text frame, anchor it neatly, add back in the text to the style and account for overset text?

Or should it make it all the text in the 2 column layout into a 1 column layout, then convert the text in the body to a 2 columned anchored frame that sits underneath the heading? How will it adjust for anchored text frames that flow across pages (because InDesign can't really do an anchored text frame that flows between pages unless you've premade the text frames, flowed the text, adjusted the sizes, grouped them then added them as an anchored frame within a text frame then move them around the text frame until satisified with the position.

Then what will it do with the dozen other updates that you may or may not have used like "Keep With Previous" - how should InDesign handle that in CS4? What about Line Styles and Grep Styles? How should it handle that?

No - the solution has always been that you and your client work on the same *version of InDesign* on the files at all times.

*edit*

If they just want a Word File then you can use a very simple script export your version to Word.

http://www.kahrel.plus.com/indesign/batch_convert.html

This will convert any indesign files in a folder to whatever file format you want, inlcluding RTF which can be opened in Word.

• 5. Re: CS4 messing up span column layouts from idml
                  MrJono Level 1

You're both right, that was just some monday morning cynicism coming through, sorry. Will pass on your advise to my client.

Thanks for the link Eugene.