16 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2013 11:11 PM by MatsH

ID CS6 red is not red

MatsH

Hi.

Sorry if you have discussed that already, I could not find it in the search.

I'm running Indesign CS6 on win7 machine (and the same problem is with win8).

The problem I have is that the red colour in the documents is not shown correctly.

I get sort of brownish colour instead.

I'm trying to make a calendar with calendar wizard script and the problem is my sundays are brownish instead of red.

the design is in CMYK colour space.

if i export my ID project into pdf, I have the same brownish colour.

when I open the colour picker, I can actually see the shades of red there, but vhen I pick a colour and apply it to the text or even just plain coloured square, I get brown instead.

could anyone throw an idea, what might cause it?

• 1. Re: ID CS6 red is not red
          Salah Fadlabi Level 5

What the percentage value of the red color?

Is the color name in swatch color panel?

Screen capture would help.

• 2. Re: ID CS6 red is not red
            MatsH Level 1

the red is 0%, 100%, 100%, 0%

there is some text and a coloured square, both showing the same colour (supposed to be 0,100,100,0)

ID01.jpg

• 3. Re: ID CS6 red is not red
              Salah Fadlabi Level 5

When you print  a hard copy it's brownish?

Is the monitor calibrated?

• 4. Re: ID CS6 red is not red
                MatsH Level 1

Thanks for the reply Salah Fadlabi.

It prints out in red.

This monitor is not recently calibrated, but I did calibrate my Win8 computers monitor and this brownish color did not turn correct by calibration.

• 5. Re: ID CS6 red is not red
                  Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The colour you see on screen is no correlation to how it outputs.

Check your colour management policies - see InDesign Help files for Colour Management.

• 6. Re: ID CS6 red is not red
                    MatsH Level 1

It seems to be something gone bad with colour management indeed, as I get the same wrong colours with each and every adobe product that is in my computer.

That includes entire CS6 Design Std  and even acrobat reader.

When I open the document (pdf) in any other computer, colors seem to be fine (well, a bit off, as the monitor is a bit off, but at least the red is a shade of red and not brown).

Guess there i a file corrupt somewhere in the system...

files created in other computer show also brown instead of red in Bridge and Photoshop, but not in any other application.

• 7. Re: ID CS6 red is not red
                      Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

What is the working space in ID?

• 8. Re: ID CS6 red is not red

I can't prodcue anything even remotely that orange (that's waht your screen shot seems to be here) with any cmyk profile I have installed. Might be worth recalibrating the monitor. And waht do you use to do your calibration? How old is it? I found I had to replace my older iOne with the new model to work properly with my new wide-gamut monitor.

• 9. Re: ID CS6 red is not red
                          MatsH Level 1

I have tried different working spaces, currently it's set on U.S. web coated (SWOP) v2, but I also tried Coated Fogra 27 with no luck.

The thing is,that everything that comes from any Adobe product has wrong colour, if it's created with any other program, the colours are not off at all. (except when imported into any adobe program after being created)

I do not recall having this problem earlier.

My ID crashed big time few days back when I tried to export a large TIF file from PS (they were both open at the same time). maybe that's what causes it...

I use Pantone Huey for calibration and this is couple of years old. So far it has worked fine. ( I know, it's not the greatest product in the market, but it has served me well so far)

I guess I'll try reinstalling my CS6 later and see if it helps.

• 10. Re: ID CS6 red is not red

Your other applications are not color managed, Adobe applications are, and they translate to display what should be the correct color on screen using the monitor profile. If the monitor profile is incorrect, all bets are off.

• 11. Re: ID CS6 red is not red

And this is precisely the sort of issue I was seeing befor replacing my colorimeter...

• 12. Re: ID CS6 red is not red
                                rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I use Pantone Huey for calibration and this is couple of years old. So far it has worked fine. ( I know, it's not the greatest product in the market, but it has served me well so far)

I guess I'll try reinstalling my CS6 later and see if it helps.

Are you sure the monitor profile created by the calibration is selected in System Preferences>Displays>Color?

• 13. Re: ID CS6 red is not red
                                  rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Here's 0|100|100|0 and I've chosen the wrong  profile for my display

Screen Shot 2013-11-25 at 2.44.58 PM.png

This is with the profile generated by my calibration:

Screen Shot 2013-11-25 at 2.45.08 PM.png

• 14. Re: ID CS6 red is not red
                                    MatsH Level 1

Yes, Rob Day and this was the root of all my problems in the first place.

The calibrator seems not to be compatible with win7 (although Pantone claims so). It used to work like charm with my XP and Vista machines, never had an issue.

When I disabled the profile made by Huey, everything went to normal.

So it seems that I do need a new calibrator after all.

Thanks for the help Rob Day and Peter Spier.

• 15. Re: ID CS6 red is not red

Did you get a new monitor when you upgraded? That was what precipitated my purchase -- the old iOne just wasn't compatible with the newer monitor technology.

• 16. Re: ID CS6 red is not red
                                        MatsH Level 1

I actually upgraded two computers, one came with new monitor, the other did not.

Both had the same problems.