We are planning a significant development with the following
1. User interface: all multimedia bells and whistles (we
already accepted flash and flash-lite as the one and only)
2. Database: SQL (will probably advance to Oracle)
3. Serverside: super performance with high throughput,
handling millions of small to medium size content and transactions
(telecoms environment such as SMS, billing etc.)
We plan to create two primary development teams i.e.
1. The engineering team (leftbrainers - servers side,
database, all the data driven apps, api's etc)
2. The creative Team (righbrainers - user interface, content
development, media creation, all the artsyfarsty stuff)
Initially our choice came down to Flash using Coldfusion
server for serverside back end. (I am a bit concerned about the
ultimate performance of CF when processing a few million concurrent
Lately we were recommended to seriously consider Flex.
Please shed some light on the following:
1. The advantages / disadvantages of using flex with/without
2. When to use flash and when flex development environments.
3. Would it make sense to have the engineering team focussing
on using Flex/db's to create API's that the creative team can
incorporate using the flash development environment and action
PSE point me to additional online resources to study and any
advice will be appreciated.
Flash is good for small animations, but if you are creating
anything at all resembling an "application" Flex is the way to go.
Flash has the timeline, and that is bad news for applications.
That's one reason why Flex was conceived, to get rid of the Flash
timeline. So use Flex and all will be good.