7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2013 5:54 PM by Todd_Kopriva

After Effects CC Color Key

scattar Level 1

Which bright spark thought it would be a good idea to remove this? I use it everytime I do a key to create a garbage matte along with Simple Choker. The Extractor doesn't cut it as it is only effecting the luminance of one channel and keylight it too expensive on the processor to use for a garbage matte.

• 1. Re: After Effects CC Color Key
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

Y'know, I'm not a big fan of effects being dropped, either.  But since I haven't used CC Color Key -- ever -- I don't miss it.

However, there are many other color-keying effects remaining in AE, andI'm pretty sure one of them will fit the bill.  Yeah, that little factoid  doesn't help with legacy projects, I know that.  But it isn't like it's the end of the world.

• 2. Re: After Effects CC Color Key
            scattar Level 1

Luckily for me I have the BCC Linear Color Key which does what I need it to do albeit at the expense of slightly more processing power than the old in-built keyer but not enough to make a huge difference. I can't for the life of me understand the thinking behind this decision, I've used it endlessly and I've seen it being used in countless keying tutorials so it's not just me. I'll be digging out the old CS6 plugin from my laptop tonight and dropping it in the CC plugins folder, hopefully it will still load up.

• 3. Re: After Effects CC Color Key
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

What's the big deal with processing power?  None of the keyers in AE take all that much.  If it's that crucial to your workflow, you need faster processors.

You want to see what takes processing power?  Try a text extrusion.  Try multiple lights and 3D layers.  Try Warp Stabilizer.  I'm sure there are others, but that's a pretty good beginning list.

• 4. Re: After Effects CC Color Key
                scattar Level 1

I'm fully aware what takes processing power, that is why I built my machine with an i7-3930k. Keying 4k footage is very processor intensive so you need everything you can get - have you ever applied Primatte to 4k footage, Dave? Adding keylight just to create a garbage matte is far from ideal.

• 5. Re: After Effects CC Color Key
                  Dave LaRonde Level 6

Uh huh.  And did you ever contemplate that 4K image has five to six times the number of pixels per frame  than a typical HD image, AND at a greater bit depth?  What are you expecting, miracles?

• 6. Re: After Effects CC Color Key
                    scattar Level 1

Yes I did, Dave. That is why I want the Colour Key plug in back, because it

is lightweight...

• 7. Re: After Effects CC Color Key
                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Why do you think that the Color Key effect has been removed? It has not been removed. Type 'Color Key' into the Effects & Presets panel; you'll see it.

What you should see, though, is that it's in the Obsolete category, which is our way of indicating to people that there are superior ways to achieve the results that effects in that category provide. In the case of the Color Key effect, the most common superior choice is the Keylight effect.

But, again, we didn't remove anything, because we know that different people have their own preferences.