2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2007 12:28 AM by robert-sfl

Close open books when a new book is openend

robert-sfl Level 1
      Is there a way to make a webhelp close all open books when the user opens a new book? The goal would be that the TOC only displays the path to the currently viewed topic. Currently, all book stay open until manually closed.

Perhaps this was already covered in a thread - please excuse in case I overlooked it.
        • 1. Re: Close open books when a new book is openend
          Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          Hi robert-sfl

Unfortunately that is not a feature of WebHelp. There is only one way I'm aware of to collapse all books. Restart WebHelp.

If you would like to see this as a future feature, consider submitting a WishForm asking for it. You may do so by clicking here.

Cheers... Rick
          • 2. Re: Close open books when a new book is openend
            robert-sfl Level 1
            I just found out how to do it! Thanks for the idea of restarting the webhelp.

Solution: in the whtdata0.xml file that contains the TOC data, I replaced all item url paths to redirect over the start page of the webhelp.

Example:

Original path: url="topic.htm"
            New path: url="index.htm#topic.htm" target="_top"

The catch is that this can be replaced with an enhanced find&replace tool without manual work.

The disadvantage: book urls cannot be redirected because this causes the webhelp script to crash. Only item entires can be redirected this way.