17 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2013 7:10 AM by A.T. Romano

To render or not to render?

AZ Aurora Level 1

Okay I have looked for information regarding rendering and have read some of the posts from Steve, Bill and A.T. and am still confused as to render or not to render. I am using Premier 8 and have done the update. I have background rendering turned off. My project is virtually ready to do a burn and on my time line the lines are all red.

So I have started from the beginning and have gotten them to go "green" but than if I close the program OR it crashes and I need to reopen it some of the "green" lines have reverted back to "red". I have allot of slides, transitions, and title pages in this project so it is taxing my system as it is. I have not as of yet rendered the whole project.

The question is should I render the timeline or not before I do a burn to disc? My music is added and the title page and scenes are there. I have read some yes and no responses regarding rendering so will wait to hear from the experts. How critical is it to do so?

Thanks

• 1. Re: To render or not to render?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

AuroraAz,

If you were able to do your edits, without Rendering, which is only useful to give you the smoothest playback, then there is nothing to be gained by doing a Render of the Timeline, prior to outputting your Timeline.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: To render or not to render?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

AuroraAz

I am going to give you the short version and then if you want more details I will post them or refer you to what I have already written on the subject.

1. Since rendering the Timeline is stressing out the program in your case, you have no alternative but to leave the Timeline unrendered and proceed to export and try your luck. (Maintance of the computer preview files, and conformed audio and video files becomes important.)

2. If you are dealing with a project that was rendered previously, saved/closed, re-opened to find the same content now with a red line over it, that is another story. I find this situation less "chance-y" since you have looked at the best preview before the close and you know you are probably dealing with OK video. Then I would move to export with more confidence without rendering again to assure that you are getting the best possible preview. Selectively render at worse if necessary.

3. Rendering the Timeline is your window of opportunity to catch a problem sooner than later. Use it accordingly as indicated. Even if you have a red line over content and the playback of that content looks "OK" in the Edit Mode monitor, there is no guarantee what you will end up with. Might get lucky and it looks good in the end product, maybe not.

4. Consider increasing your computer resources or keeping the size of your projects within a given limit to meet the resources of the computer.

ATR

• 3. Re: To render or not to render?
              AZ Aurora Level 1

You mentioned in #4 to increase my computer resources, I have a Dell i7 Intel (R) Core-2620 TM CPU@2.70 GHz

Memory 6 GB  400 GB Hard Disk, how do I increase my computer resources? Do I need a larger memory? or processor?

Would turning off my Anti-Virus help?

Thanks

• 4. Re: To render or not to render?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

AuroraAz

Thanks for asking about this important clarification.

From what you have written, you are still using Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1. Great program, but with AVCHD editing and the like you have a resource problem in spite of your 6 GB installed RAM. Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 cannot take advantage of all that 6 GB RAM.

Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 is a 32 bit application whether it is in a 32 bit computer or 64 bit computer. In the 64 bit computer, it runs in the 32 bit compatibility mode of the 64 bit system but as such has the limitations of 32 bit system - maximum supported installed RAM = 4 GB of which typically 3 GB or less of that are available.

To start to gain more resources for your Premiere Elements larger projects or projects with more resource demanding formats, you should look into specifically Premiere Elements 10, 11, or 12 specifically on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit. When those versions of Premiere Elements are running on those computer operating systems, they are 64 bit applications which can take advantage of the resources of the 64 bit system and give you an advantage with the larger projects with resource demanding formats.

On the other side is the free hard drive space situation which can be eaten away with those preview files if not maintained carefully, especially in those larger project. How much free space is at the location to which the Scratch Disks are directed is very important.

Please check out the above.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: To render or not to render?
                  AZ Aurora Level 1

Okay so now we come to the "preview files", what should be done if anything about them when in the middle of a project or perhaps right before burning to disc? I do not want to delete anything and then unknowingly mess up my whole project. Thanks

I will look into upgrading once I finish the project that I am now on, thanks for that information.

• 6. Re: To render or not to render?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

AuroraAz

In your situation where you seem to be pressed for resources (that is the impression that I am getting), if you delete the preview files and not the originals on the hard drive, you should do OK.

Let me define what you should be deleting. Check before you delete anything....

If you have a Standard Defintion project, everytime you render the Timeline content whether it be a still or video, the program will generate a preview file DV AVI. If you have a High Definition project, everytime you render the Timeline content whether it be a still or video, the program will generate a preview file MPEG2.mpeg. In the case of the MPEG2.mpg, you may also see a companion file .xmp. Delete both. These preview files (SD project or HD project) typically go to the Adobe Premiere Elements Previews Files Folder (Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/in your case 8.0/

If you think that you need more details on these files...if in doubt...ask further before deleting anything. But if you stick to the description above, you should be OK.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: To render or not to render?
                      AZ Aurora Level 1

Okay I found the folder that you are referring to, it is the "name of my project.PRV. The files have an AVI on them before they turn into the actual slide photo. The folder has 20.6 GB in it, if I delete that before I do a "burn to disc" will it help the burn function more smoothly, thus taxing the memory source less? Thanks

• 8. Re: To render or not to render?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

AuroraAz

Removal of the 20.6 GB preview files before burn to disc, may be the edge that you need to get the project taken to a successful completion. You may need more help than that, maybe not. But, it is worth the try.

Did you find anything in the Encoded Files Folder?

We will be watching for your results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: To render or not to render?
                          AZ Aurora Level 1

Just checked the encoded files folder and that folder is empty. I will delete the preview files but with the holiday coming upon us and travel etc. I will not be burning to disc until Sat.

In the meantime I am exploring Adobe Photoshop and Premier versions 10, 11 and 12. Have been reading some of the reviews on those programs. Having used Adobe 8 for several projects I am feeling fairly comfortable knowing my way around that program. I am willing to learn but on the other hand don't really want to have a experience a huge "leap" in the learning curve, want to keep this as future "fun projects". That said going from 8 which of the 3 would provide me with the extra resources that I need to complete future projects of size. I have about 450 slides with transitions in this project but that is due to a 2 month summer trip. So this project is unusually large.

From what I have read so far it seems that perhaps version 12 has the newest in "online guides" built right into the program. However is the format of that version allot differant than 8?

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks

• 10. Re: To render or not to render?
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

AuroraAz

Thanks for the update.

What about "What is next version wise?"

For the changes in programs to benefit you, Premiere Elements 10, 11, or 12 need to be installed specifically on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit. If you are thinking Mac instead of Windows, then 11 or 12 specifically on Mac 64 bit.

I would not worry about the massive interface changes seen in version 11 and 12. The principles of Premiere Elements remain unchanged. It is finding the features that is the challange. Versions 11 and 12 are much the same. I suspect that you could handle yourself well without the new Guided feature of 12. Take a look at the free 30 day tryout of 12 from Adobe. See how if works for you. You do not have to uninstall version 8.0/8.0.1. Just use one program at a time. If you get a good deal on version 11, go with it after you check out 12.

Have a great holiday and looking forward to your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re: To render or not to render?
                              AZ Aurora Level 1

Okay never did I think that this would be so difficult. I would like to upgrade to Version 11 and was all set to buy a "new and sealed" version of both Photoshop and Premier. I asked the question about getting the product registered and have opened "pandora's box", in reading and talking I have found that one has to be careful that a "good deal" may not be such a good deal and that one might be venturing somewhere where you didn't want to be. So that said I am trying to find a "list" of "Authorized Adobe resellers" and therein lies the problem. I have Googled it and have not found a source that is reliable, can you give me any insight or direction. Thanks

• 12. Re: To render or not to render?
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

AuroraAz

For non promotional purposes, have you explored what Amazon is selling in the way of Photoshop Elements 11 Premiere Elements 11. The availability may be lessening of this prior version. A ventor that I would highly recommend has it listed as discontinued.

What about your local office supplies retailers?

ATR

• 13. Re: To render or not to render?
                                  mkscallan

I'm having problems along this line as well, using PrE 11. I have a high-def video which looks great when I burn to Blu-Ray, but not nearly as good when exporting to DVD. There's a picture frame in the background that has has wavy lines in it.
                                  I've got plenty of horsepower, A 9-core chip, 16 gigs of RAM, 6 TB of disk space.

I'm watching it on a big screen TV. Could that be my problem?

I've tried a direct burn and rendering to mpeg 2, with similar results.

Any suggestions for improvement would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

• 14. Re: To render or not to render?
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

You must understand that by the specifications, defined for DVD-Video and BD (Blu-Ray Disc), the resolution is greatly diminished for DVD-Video. The best that one can hope for is either a DVD player, with up-rezzing chips, or a BD player (playing that DVD-Video), with similar up-rezzing chips.

To get an idea of the differences in pixels allowed by each format, see this graphic:

Digital_video_resolutions_(VCD_to_4K)_svg (1).png

Hope that helps with a clearer picture of DVD-Video vs BD, at 1080p.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: To render or not to render?
                                      AZ Aurora Level 1

I have GOOD NEWS!! I was able to complete and burn my project to disc. Thank you for all of you help!

I have also purchased Adobe Photoshop and Premier Elements 12, I purchased the CD-ROM and am waiting for it to arrive in the mail.

My question is, should I do an uninstall of Adobe Photoshop and Premier Elements 8 before I install Elements 12? I will wait for your answer.

Thanks again for all of your help in my latest project it was a large one and I am looking forward to using 12 on my next project.

• 16. Re: To render or not to render?
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

AuroraAZ,

If you have adequate HDD space, there is nothing wrong with keeping the earlier versions installed. Many do that, until they are up to speed with the newer versions.

Some users, like ATR, keep many previous versions installed, with no issues, to be able to test each version, for other users.

If, after you have worked with PrE 12 and PsE 12, and are comfortable with them, you can then Uninstall the previous versions.

Good luck, and glad that your Project is complete.

Hunt

• 17. Re: To render or not to render?
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

AuroraAz

Can you hear me applauding your success with your Premiere Elements project completion. Great news. Great work.

Please remind me what computer operating system Photoshop Elements 12 and Premiere Elements 12 will be installed on?

Ordinarily I would say leave the older version installed until you get used to 12 and then decide whether to have 2 programs on this one computer (use one at a time) or whether to deactivate, uninstall the older version. But, if you are not running version 12 on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit, then I may change my thinking on that.

Please give that detail and then we will move forward on further comments.

We are very pleased with your progress. And we were grateful for the opportunity to be a back seat driver for your project.

ATR