14 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2016 3:50 AM by Abambo

Indesign Text Editing

Clare Katavich

Hi - I'm editing an indesign file created by someone previously. 

When I select text to edit, it is selecting the nodes of the letters and not the actual text - so I'm not sure how to edit?  Can you please help.. I'm a newbie (but not for long)..

Thanks, Clare

• 1. Re: Indesign Text Editing
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You're in trouble. Somebody converted the text to outlines, and you can no longer edit it. It will need to be created new as text again.

• 2. Re: Indesign Text Editing
            Clare Katavich Level 1

Does this mean that they created the text as objects?  I've added the screen shot of the press ad I'm working on.. The text is all selected as outlines - you're right!

How would this help in indesign? ie. why would they do that?  They've created several press ads this way..

When I go to create new text, it puts a cursor over the middle of my ocean view..

Is there any easy way I can edit the text in this file?  I had the same issue yesterday on another press ad..

Thanks, Clare

• 3. Re: Indesign Text Editing
              casinclaire Level 1

Clare, the previous answer was on point. Someone created the file as text first, but for some reason converted all text to outlines before passing on to you. They clearly didn't anticipate edits being made, because this is usually done when layout and design are finalized, and then only so that the recipient -- usually a print shop -- who may not have the original typeface on their computer, can still have an accurate reproduction of the design. (Since curves are no longer text, they won't try to substitute another font if the one they represent isn't on the recipient's computer.)

This is a safety feature for sending files to the printer, but not usually for sending to someone who has to edit. You will probably have to go back to the source and ask them to send you a file with non-outlined text -- i.e., text that is still text and not turned to text-appearing curves/art. But be sure YOU have installed the typeface they are using onto on your computer, else you will not be working with a true version of their design, as your system will substitute some other typeface, which could cause the placement to shift and things to go caddy-wampus.

Good luck!

• 4. Re: Indesign Text Editing
                casinclaire Level 1

Oh, Clare,

One more thought. If you have Illustrator, and your edits aren't too extensive, and you have some idea of the typeface they used or can figure it out, you might be able to open their PDF (if they sent you one) in Illustrator and edit it there. Maybe even print yourself a PDF of the InDesign file and try opening in Illustrator. You would have to select letter by letter, probably, but if you can match the typeface, you might be able to type your changes or any part of the text in to match.

• 5. Re: Indesign Text Editing

No point in that, really. It's just as easy to recreate the type in ID.

The big reason for outlining type, as casinclaire points out, is to avoid font issues. InDesign, by default, however, embeds fonts in exported PDF unless they are restricted agianst it, so there's really no good reason to do so.

• 6. Re: Indesign Text Editing
                    Clare Katavich Level 1

Hi - thanks, seems like it's allot for simple text changes.. agh. 

I'll make sure I don't continue the trend...

Do you know if there is an easy way to select a letter (object) and move it ie. keep the letters I already need and possibly copy the individual letters from other versions of the ad?

Thanks for your help, again..

• 7. Re: Indesign Text Editing
                      casinclaire Level 1

Yeah, that's probably a better answer -- just doing your type in InD rather than hassling with a PDF in Illustrator. The PDF-in-Illustrator thing is just an emergency measure when you need something else to try! (Though there are definitely times when this is a good tool/method to know about; depends on the circumstance.)

If the letter forms in your InD doc truly are outlined to curves (no longer editable text), you can try ungrouping them (if they are grouped ... ) -- in my experience, this doesn't really ungroup as in other programs, but may be more of a line by line ungrouping.

Next, use your direct-select arrow (white arrow) to choose the individual letter you want. You will have to drag a marquee around the letter and you must select ALL its nodes. (Leaving one behind will cause a comet tail, so to speak, to drag out behind you when you drag to duplicate.)

NOTE: When you marquee around the letter you want, you will probably notice that all the letters in your line of now-curves-text will show their nodes as well, but hopefully only the one you want (have marqueed) will have its nodes filled in solid, which shows that it is selected.

Holding down your ALt key and, with your white arrow on the letter, drag the letter so as to duplicate it. But I think you will only actually get the outline, so you'll need to fill with color.

Give it a try and see if you can do it. You might be able to glean at least some of the letters of the alphabet that you need, and if you are making very minor edits, it might not be overly aggravating to do it this way.

• 8. Re: Indesign Text Editing

I've see cases where outlining the text makes compound paths out of multiple characters (I think it depends on whether the text or the frame is selected before issuing the outlines command). I've found it can be useful, for example if you need to adjust the position of a single letter, to release the compound path. This gives you individual paths for each letter, but it has the side effect of also releasing all the "counters" (empty spaces) in letters like O, P and B, so you then have to go back and make each of those a compound path with its counters again. Ok for one or two lines, but more than that and it's probably faster to set type.

• 9. Re: Indesign Text Editing
                          rcoventry Level 1

I made a brochure in Indesign.  My first time using it.  I printed it out and changes need to be made.   I cannot edit the text.  I have NEVER had this happen in any program.  Also, one layer has separated a whole paragraph into separate little frames on the layer there are over 18.  What the heck went wrong?  I have to salvage this brochure.  Can someone help?????@

• 10. Re: Indesign Text Editing
                            casinclaire Level 1

Did you print to a PDF and are you trying to edit it inside a PDF? If this is the case, you may be dealing with separate text frames for separate lines of text. I recently had to edit someone else's work and the only available format (though they created it in InDesign) was a PDF file, and this was the exact appearance it presented.  If a PDF is all you have to work with, you might try opening it in Illustrator. You might be able to edit it there. But I am confused why you can't edit it in InDesign, if you created it there -- unless you did change the text to outlines, or you imported the text already as a graphic.  In any case, my experience has been that these type of boxes can show up when one prints to PDF and then tries to edit therein.

I assume you have checked to make sure your layers aren't locked and that that is not preventing you from getting to your text?  In thinking about this more, though, this does sound like a case of you maybe having changed your text to outlines, which means they are now vector graphics and uneditable with the text tool.

• 11. Re: Indesign Text Editing
                              rcoventry Level 1

Someone  contacted me but I could not respond.    No it is not a PDF file. It is an Indesign file.

• 12. Re: Indesign Text Editing
                                casinclaire Level 1

Then there is almost no reason I can think of that you shouldn't be able to edit actual text unless it is no longer actual text but has now been converted into vector graphics (see my explanation about this much higher in the thread, back in 2013) for Clare.  The only other possibility that I, personally, can think of is that the file is corrupted.

Sometimes one can save an InDesign file as an IDML file (one of the choices in the Save As dialog), which does now and then clear up corruption problems. You can still work on it as an IDML or re-save it as an INDD.  But if the text is no longer actual text but has been converted to vectors (which the aforementioned 2013 reply explains), then no, you still won't be able to edit with the text tool because it really isn't text anymore but only has that appearance -- it may be just a bunch of vector graphics in the shapes of letters.  Only you can ascertain this because you have the file to examine.

Maybe someone else will have some other ideas for you to try.

• 13. Re: Indesign Text Editing
                                  rcoventry Level 1

Well, I ended up deleting the block and retyping.  It was the only block that was like that in the brochure and I have NO idea what happened to cause it.  Just hope it never happens again.  Thanks for the input. 

• 14. Re: Indesign Text Editing
                                    Abambo Level 4

(and this in 2015!!!) No point to use vectorized fonts, except if your print service provider insists in getting vectorized fonts as we had with a Chinese printer. I suppose he was trying to get my Chinese partners to let redo the typesetting with him, as to show that we couldn't do it in Chinese for the Chinese...