2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2013 6:37 PM by NYJack

Can this be scripted in 2 or 3 lines?

NYJack Level 1

Can this be scripted in 2 or 3 lines?:

Change tracking and kerning on all text in textbox to 0. Go to first character pair in text box.

If pair = Aa, set pair kern to -22; if not,

If pair = Ab, set pair kern to -32; if not,

If pair = Ac, set pair kern to -34; if not,

etc. I'll write a line for every character pair I desire to have kerned. If pair is found on list -- or if not -- then go to next pair to do same, until all pairs are done until end of headline text.

This is being done manually on an i7-chip-equipped PC on ID3 and ID6, so it'll be fast no matter how long the list is...

Thanks, Jack.

• 1. Re: Can this be scripted in 2 or 3 lines?
          Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have no idea how many lines of Javascript it'd take to do this. JS syntax is funny, so even if it was a complicated script you could probably gang it up into two very long lines. But Peter Kahrel's kerning table script is so functional that I've never bothered to try, so my speculation as to total potential script length is of no consequence.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can this be scripted in 2 or 3 lines?
            NYJack Level 1

Many thanks, Joel:

This script was pointed out to me a long time ago but I never toyed with it as I just now did on your advice, since I couldn't understand it.

I tested it on a headline in its text box, but it came up advising all the fonts on the page that are missing (seeking to kern all of the page, I guess). Any way I could get it to do only the text box I've clicked into? Otherwise, I need not care about all the things it may do that do not apply to me . . . and it could be a lifesaver...

Thanks, Jack.