27 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2013 7:42 PM by Dave0518

PRE10 Crashes Often

Dave0518 Level 1

Just installed PRE10 on my new Win 8 machine.  Crashes often.  I did the updates. i7 3.1 16GB .  New to Premier Elements.  What's up?

• 1. Re: PRE10 Crashes Often
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Error messages?

What is your exact brand/model graphics adapter (ATI or nVidia or ???)

What is your exact graphics adapter driver version?

Have you gone to the vendor web site to check for a newer driver?

-If Windows, do NOT rely on Windows Update to have current driver information

-you need to go direct to the vendor web site and check updates for yourself

ATI Driver Autodetect http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/auto-detect-tool

nVidia Driver Downloads http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

• 2. Re: PRE10 Crashes Often
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Dave0518

I have Premiere Elements 10 had Windows 8 64 bit and now have it on Windows 8.1 64 bit. It ran fine and is running fine. So, I do not believe there is a generalized problem of Premiere Elements 10 vs Windows 8 64 bit.

One of the things that we should clear away at the onset...what video card are you using for your Windows 8 64 bit? A NVIDIA video card by any chance? If so, that need focus to rule that card's driver version as contributing to your problems. There is a recent epidemic specific to Premiere Elements users with NVIDIA video cards. For now, the answer is rolling back the video card driver.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1317675

Then the usual questions...

a. Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premeire Elements 10?

b. Are you running the program as Run As Administrator or from a User Account with Administrative Privileges?

Does your computer have a large collection of 3rd party plug-ins and/or codecs?

Let us start here and then decide what next based on your further details.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: PRE10 Crashes Often
              Dave0518 Level 1

Graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce GT610M.  I'll check the 1317675 thread.   New machine complete with bloat, so not sure about how many plug-ins/codecs.  None that I installed

Thanks guys

• 4. Re: PRE10 Crashes Often
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Dave0518

Which ever you feel most comfortable with...either contact NVIDIA about your video card driver version

and/or

try rolling back the NVIDIA video card driver version yourself.

In view of recent history, it might prove the fix (for now anyway).

We will be watching for your progress.

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR

• 5. Re: PRE10 Crashes Often
                  Dave0518 Level 1

From the posts, it seems like the way to go is backwards -- i.e. not the latest driver version.  (On the NVIDIA site, there are later versions, but nothing earlier for my card that isn't beta.) 

I'm new to Win 8, so I'm hard pressed to say whether Quicktime came with.  Does it matter? Also not sure how to tell how the program is being run (I think it's from a User Account).

• 6. Re: PRE10 Crashes Often
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Dave0518

QuickTime is a requirement for Premiere Elements. So, please go through your installed programs to assure that it is installed and check if what is installed is the latest version of QuickTime. QuickTime only comes in a 32 bit version but can be used on Windows 8 or 8.1 64 bit.

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

Check your User Account that you are running Premiere Elements from. What you could do is right click the desktop icon for the program, select Run As Administrator.

I will check your thread in the morning to watch for further developments.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 7. Re: PRE10 Crashes Often
                      Dave0518 Level 1

I did not have QuickTime but do now.   And after clicking on Run as

Administrator, I came across the Accounts page, which indicated I am the

Admin.

But just got another "Premier Elements 10 Has Stopped Working" message.

They do seem to happen when I'm not doing anything with the program.

Regards,

David Mueller

[Personal data removed per poster's wishes - Hunt]

• 8. Re: PRE10 Crashes Often
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

David,

First, to avoid nuisances, best to remove what looks like a telephone number under your name.

In view of

On the NVIDIA site, there are later versions, but nothing earlier for my card that isn't beta.

Definitely try to make contact with NVIDIA about the video card and video card driver that you are using.

I have something for you to try. Do you have the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player plug-in  installed for your browsers (Internet Explorer and Firefox) on Windows 8 64 bit?

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Check out the problem before and after the install of this plug-in.

QuickTime is a requirement. I have never seen the Adobe Flash Player mentioned in that same context. But I had problems with Premiere Elements 12 in Windows 8.0 and 8.1 64 bit which mysteriously disappeared after I reinstalled those plug-ins in Internet Explorer and Firefox. A coincidence?

ATR

• 9. Re: PRE10 Crashes Often
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

David,

I agree with ATR. Personal info, in an open forum, is not a good idea.

Please let us know if we should remove that, and it will be deleted. I recommend doing this.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: PRE10 Crashes Often
                            Dave0518 Level 1

I agree too and was surprised to see the entry on the forum.  Didn't

realize an email response to ATR generated a forum entry.  Yes, if you

could remove it, I'd appreciate it.

• 11. Re: PRE10 Crashes Often
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

David,

Done.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: PRE10 Crashes Often
                                Dave0518 Level 1

Agree with you about the personal info.  I sent a note to the moderator

that it should be removed.  DIdn't realize my email reply to you (could not

find a Reply button on the forum!?) generated a forum entry.

Thanks for the advice.  I'll try that next.  Not really doing anything yet

with PE except to try this and that while reading the Adobe Help tutorials.

Meanwhile PE occasionally gives the 'Has Stopped Working' dialog box.

• 13. Re: PRE10 Crashes Often
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Dave

Thanks for the update.

When you get a chance, please let us know of further developments, and we will think about this some more.

ATR

• 14. Re: PRE10 Crashes Often
                                    Dave0518 Level 1

Hmm.  I have default browser = Google Chrome.    The link you sent

indicates that Chrome has Flash built in and will maintain currency.  I do

use IE occasionally now as some sites don't work correctly now.  Problem?

• 15. Re: PRE10 Crashes Often
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Dave,

Have you tried this for Internet Explorer?

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/885448

ATR

• 16. Re: PRE10 Crashes Often
                                        Dave0518 Level 1

New problem.   PE still randomly shuts down my project while I play with the Help screens (not saving anything), but apparently with no loss except my time. But now I'm actually trying to make a movie from the video. And while it worked twice, suddenly Transitions don't seem to work.  Drag-and-drop doesn't work at all. If you right click on the clip boundary in Sceneline, the Transition icon appears that you chose, but it does not work when you roll over the boundary.  More concerned about this than the crashes.    Starting to wonder about this package!

To get at some of BIll Hunt's list of configuration items:

New PC, HP 23qd 16GB i7 3.1 GHz, 2 TB HD. Lots of machine

Quicktime 7.7.4, downloaded today

Both IE and Chrome claim they have Flash built in and up to date

Video card is NVIDIA GT 610M 310.90 according to GeForce

Clip came from old Sony videocam tape transcribed to DVD. Loaded ok

Norton security

User is Administrator

Will provide any other info needed if possible.   Thanks guys

P.S. On a chance it's relevant, I Rendered much of my red line stuff.

• 17. Re: PRE10 Crashes Often
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Dave

Not sure if you mentioned it previously...with this new problem, let us zero in on that source media.

"Clip came from old Sony videocam tape transcribed to DVD..." Could you elaborate of that.

Did you have a DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc that you inserted into the DVD burner tray and then used Premiere Elements 10 Get Media/"DVD Camcorder or PC DVD Drive"/Video Importer to obtain VOBs for the Premiere Elements Timeline?

Are you finding any relationship between the frequency and intensity of the Premiere Elements issues and the choice of source media?

What is happening about contacting NVIDIA about this wave of Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA video card display issues that are impacting program performance?

More later.

Thanks.

ATR

• 18. Re: PRE10 Crashes Often
                                            Dave0518 Level 1

It's been awhile since I made the DVD.  I'll have to reconstruct the path. More later

Did you have a DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc that you inserted into the DVD burner tray and then used Premiere Elements 10 Get Media/"DVD Camcorder or PC DVD Drive"/Video Importer to obtain VOBs for the Premiere Elements Timeline?

Yes on that, up to the "/DVD Camcorder..." part.  I used Get Media/Files and Folders.

• 19. Re: PRE10 Crashes Often
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Dave

Definitely need to explore those details when you get the time.

ATR

• 20. Re: PRE10 Crashes Often
                                                Dave0518 Level 1

Here's how I made the DVD:

Used a program called "Honestech VHS to DVD 3.0".  Quite a setup of camcoder, cables, converter box, and software.  Apparently recorded on DVD as follows.

Video

Frame width 720

Frame height 480

Data rate 8000 kbps

Total bit rate 8224 kpbs

Frame rate 29 frames/sec

Audio

Bit rate 224 kpbs

Channels 2

Audio sample rate 48 kHz

Size of this VOB .99GB

• 21. Re: PRE10 Crashes Often
                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Dave

I am not seeing anything menacing in those properties for the VOBs that you put on the Timeline.

Did you get any audio out of sync issues. Often that is the first sign that "something" was out of sorts.

I think that I am heading back to my Premiere Elements 10 and NVIDIA video card driver implications here.

ATR

• 22. Re: PRE10 Crashes Often
                                                    Dave0518 Level 1

No synch issues seen.

I'll try and get in touch with the NVIDIA people Friday.

Happy Thanksgiving!

• 23. Re: PRE10 Crashes Often
                                                      Dave0518 Level 1

Still getting annoying 'PE Has Stopped Working' crashes.  I had downloaded a later driver that NVIDIA said was the one for my card. No improvement. Chatted with NVIDIA guy today who, after hearing my PE problems, had me reload the driver, this time choosing Custom with Clean Install.  PE failed soon after.  He claims that having tried 2 drivers and doing a clean install that the graphics card/driver is not the problem. 

• 24. Re: PRE10 Crashes Often
                                                        Dave0518 Level 1

I noticed that I can make the program fail by trying to use text automation. When I hit Apply for a selected text box and animation preset, the program stops working.

• 25. Re: PRE10 Crashes Often
                                                          Dave0518 Level 1

Just finished watching the burned DVD of my work. Except for some shakiness on the replay, it looks pretty good.  Occasional "PE Has Stopped Working" messages continue, requiring the application to be restarted.  Note this has happened when NO FILE WAS OPEN.  So not sure the old source video is the problem. 

• 26. Re: PRE10 Crashes Often
                                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Dave0518

I was traveling from several days and am finally settled down.

Thanks for following through with NVIDIA, glad we have that information on hand even though it was not the immediate answer.

Keep a watch on all factors to see if we can put together the pieces into develop an explanation for the happenings. The DVD results sound very good. If you want, we can try to work out the shakiness on the replay that you observed. Did it look like an interlaced problem or shaky camera business?

Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

ATR

• 27. Re: PRE10 Crashes Often
                                                              Dave0518 Level 1

Not a shaky camera problem as the original video is quite smooth.  

I'm not sure I've seen such a strange mode of failures. The one correlation I've noticed - and it's not consistent - is a Stopped Working message when I switch between applications. This is not the only way the app fails, but it does occasionally fail when I leave the app.