21 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2013 3:47 AM by VDOSurfer

GoPro MP4 Files

Brendanj

Hi

I am having trouble when rendering Gopro files in Premiere Elements 11 as they degrade and become fuzzy after rendering (they are fine prior to rendering)... any suggestions...?

Regards Brendan

• 1. Re: GoPro MP4 Files
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Brendanj

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 11 running on? What is your video card and is its driver up to date according to the web site of the video card manufacturer?

What are the properties of your GoPro footage (which GoPro camera)? Video and audio compression, frame size, frame rate, file extension, interlaced or progressive, pixel aspect ratio? Is the footage pre-processed with GoPro software before it is imported into Premiere Elements 11?

Who is setting the project preset for the project, you or the program? If the program, have you checked to determine if the program set is appropriately? Sometimes it does not and then you have to set the project preset yourself manually via File Menu/New/Project before you import your source media. (Please see Edit Menu/Project Settings/General.)

Are you using the term "rendering" to refer to

a. rendering the Timeline content to get the best possible preview in the playback of the TImeline content in the Edit Mode Monitor

or

b. render as in export to file saved to hard drive

If you are referring to render as in export what are you export settings, including those under the Advanced Button/Video Tab Audio Tab of the preset selected?

Let us start here. We will be watching for your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: GoPro MP4 Files
            Brendanj Level 1

Wow... hard questions for a novice but I'll give them a go

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 11 running on?... Windows 7

What is your video card and is its driver up to date according to the web site of the video card manufacturer?

HP Pavillion 520-1040a computer

Video card - AMD Radeon HD6500a... i have not updated the driver at any time

Processor - AMD A8-3800

RAM - 8 gig

Memory 2TB

What are the properties of your GoPro footage (which GoPro camera)? Hero 3 Black edition... 1440 48

Video and audio compression, frame size, frame rate, file extension, interlaced or progressive, pixel aspect ratio? Not sure

Is the footage pre-processed with GoPro software before it is imported into Premiere Elements 11? I have tried converting the files with the GoPro Cineform software along with importing them direct from the hard drive... the post render deteriation is the same in both cases

Who is setting the project preset for the project, you or the program? No sure so I suggest the program

If the program, have you checked to determine if the program set is appropriately? Not sure how to do this

Sometimes it does not and then you have to set the project preset yourself manually via File Menu/New/Project before you import your source media. (Please see Edit Menu/Project Settings/General.) I'll have a play with this to see if it makes sense to me

Are you using the term "rendering" to refer to

a. rendering the Timeline content to get the best possible preview in the playback of the TImeline content in the Edit Mode Monitor Yes

or

b. render as in export to file saved to hard drive I have also tried this but it seems the program renders the time line as part of the export...?

If you are referring to render as in export what are you export settings, including those under the Advanced Button/Video Tab Audio Tab of the preset selected? Not sure, will try to look

Let us start here. We will be watching for your follow up.

• 3. Re: GoPro MP4 Files
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Brendanj

Thank you. You supplied me with enough information to figure out what we are up against.

1440p 48 tells me that you are using a GoPro video that is "atypical" for the Premiere Elements project presets among other things. What you have is 1920 x 1440 4:3 @ 48 progressive frames per second. The format includes H.264 video compression and a .mp4 file extension (aka wrapper/container), What does that mean in terms of what you have and what you want as the end product?

Here is something for us to explore.

1. Open Premiere Elements 11, go immediately to File Menu/New/Project and in the new project dialog, set the project preset for

NTSC

FLIP

Flip Mino Ultra 30p

before you exit the new project dialog, please a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project".

2. In the Premiere Elements workspace, use Add Media/Files and Folders/Projects Assets from where you drag your video to the Expert view Timeline.

3. When you are ready for export, look at the following to get an AVCHD.mp4 video (1920 x 1440 @ 50 progressive frames per second)

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

with Presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080 p30

then under the Advanced Button/Video Tab

Atypical.JPG

There is no 48 frames per second, so I settled in on 50 progressive frames per second.

That was just an experiment pending further details from you.

Please review.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: GoPro MP4 Files
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Brendanj

After all of the above latest post, I forgot to ask "Any particular reason why you selected the 1440p 48 setting for your GoPro recording?

ATR

• 5. Re: GoPro MP4 Files
                  Brendanj Level 1

ATR

I settled on 1440p 48 as it was the highest quality setting... simple as that. Being the novice that I am, do you recommend a different setting...?

By the way, I just published a video file and it's perfect...! You are a legend

Thanks so much for your help

• 6. Re: GoPro MP4 Files
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Brendanj

In non technical terms, do not mess with a good thing. That was really great news that the exploration turned out so well.

For alternative recording settings, please check out the following

http://gopro.com/cameras/hd-hero3-black-edition#technical-specs

first 1080p (1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second or whatever the frame rate is for your set up NTSC 29.97 vs PAL 25)

We will be watching for your progress in the morning. We can discuss alternative recording settings and assocated Premiere Elements export settings when you are ready. Great job.

ATR

• 7. Re: GoPro MP4 Files
                      Brendanj Level 1

Hi Atr

Need a heads up... I dragged the published file on to a flash card to play on my TV but it does work.... it recognises the USB card but wont recognise the file, any clues...?

• 8. Re: GoPro MP4 Files
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Brendanj

I would have thought that the USB Flash Drive with the  AVCHD.mp4 file would have played back, but....

1. What type of player was this - DVD or Blu-ray connected to the TV?

2. If the USB Flash Drive is recognized, it is probably formatted as FAT32 which is seen as a recommended format for the USB Flash Drive in cases such as these.

3. If you have not already, check the user manual for the player to confirm its support specifications.

4. If all else fails, have you tried a HDMI connection for computer to TV?

5. We could look at

Publish+Share

Computer

QuickTime

with Presets = NTSC DV 16:9, and, under the Advanced Button/Video Tab, set for

MovExport.JPG

This will give you a H.264.mov file version. Leave the bitrate option as is for now if you try this as an alternative format on the USB Flash Drive.

More later.

ATR

• 9. Re: GoPro MP4 Files
                          Brendanj Level 1

AT

I know we're close to getting it sorted... I'll try the settings as per

your email and see how it goes

The edited .mp4 plays perfectly on my computer when I publish it but when

I put the .mp4 file on a USB stick and plug it directly into the TV (tv is

only 18 months old) the file comes up with an error. I have played other

.mp4 files without issue on the tv... ones I have used the Gopro Cineform

software to produce so I know it's not the tv

I'll have another play with it later in the day and let you know how I go

Regards

Brendan McMahon

General Manager – Region V1

MM Electrical Merchandising

( 03 9839 4888

7 03 9764 3633

( 0408 855 292

Business Registration Number 0377700X

ü www.mmem.com.au

Note:

The information contained in this electronic email message is privileged

and confidential, and is intended only for the use of the addressee.

If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any

disclosure, reproduction, distribution or other use of this communication

is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error,

please notify the sender by reply transmission and delete the message

without copying or disclosing it.

• 10. Re: GoPro MP4 Files
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Brendanj

To avoid nuisances best remove the contact information in your latest post in your thread.

We will be looking forward to your results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re: GoPro MP4 Files
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Brendanj,

I agree with ATR. As the Adobe Forums are open, there are spam'bots crawling around, just looking for e-mail addresses, and any other personal data. It appears that you replied via a POP client, or similar, and that a signature was added. If you would like, we can remove that personal data, to protect your privacy, and I recommend doing so. Just let us know if it's OK to remove it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: GoPro MP4 Files
                                Brendanj Level 1

Sounds like a good idea Bill... not sure how to remove it though... any help appreciated

• 13. Re: GoPro MP4 Files
                                  Brendanj Level 1

ATR

Still having issues with playing the files on a tv from a USB card... error messagr is "video codec not supported"whatever that means. Don't think its the tv as its a pretty new LED flat screen... any suggestions...?

Regards Brendan

• 14. Re: GoPro MP4 Files
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Brendanj

Video codec not supported means that the player is not compatible with the video compression used in the file. Sometimes these error messages are generic rather than specific, but for now we will take them as written.

Have you had the opportunities to check with the user manual for the player to see if its specifications define video compressions as well as file extensions supported when the media is a USB Flash Drive?

In the prior test, we would have offered to it AVCHD (MP4 AVCHD.264) as the .mp4 and H.264 as the .mov.

Have mention the name of the TV device involved? If not, I also can be looking for specifications that can direct us in the specifics of what you have.

More later.

Thanks.

ATR

• 15. Re: GoPro MP4 Files
                                      Brendanj Level 1

I'll have a look at this tonight and see if I can find out the relative

info on the TV (Samsung Digital)

I have used a number of different settings when publishing it... a bit of

trial and error really, but I haven't had success yet

Thanks again for the help

Regards Brendan

• 16. Re: GoPro MP4 Files
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Brendanj

Does this Samsung Digital have the USB port into which you insert the USB Flash Drive with your video?

ATR

• 17. Re: GoPro MP4 Files
                                          Brendanj Level 1

Yes it does

• 18. Re: GoPro MP4 Files
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Brendanj

I came across this Samsung article with some details that look interesting

TVs" What Media Play Functions Does The USB Port Support?

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/faq/FAQ00000457/625/

I could suggest Premiere Elements settings but they will not match the properties of your source video 1920 x 1440 @ 48 progressive frames per second. We came close to that with the exports that I suggested 1920 x 1440 @ 50 progressive frames per second (AVCHD.mp4 or H.264.mov), but those will not playback from USB Flash Drive for you. In the search for other, that 1920 x 1440 is a deal breaker in finding export settings for alternative video compression.

Any chance you shooting in 1920 x 1080p30? Or, even 1920 x 1080i30?

ATR

• 19. Re: GoPro MP4 Files
                                              Brendanj Level 1

ATR

Yep... can shoot in 1920 x 1080p30... as I said, the only rationale for

1920 x 1440 is that it's the highest setting and I assumed it would

produce the best results. I'm afraid I just a "point & shoot" novice and

the tech stuff gives me grief...!

I'm pretty sure I can use the Gopro software to put the latest clips

together and then move to the Premiere Elements from this point forward

I don't suppose I could use the Premiere Elements software and then burn

the files to DVD and play them that way...?

Regards

Brendan McMahon

• 20. Re: GoPro MP4 Files
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Brendanj

How about we try this. You shoot 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second.

Premiere Elements 11.

Make sure that the project preset is

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30 @ 29.97

(1) Then when you get to Publish+Share

Publish+Share

Disc

DVD, disc

and use the preset for NTSC_Widescreen Dolby DVD.

(2) Then when you get to Publish+Share

Publish+Share

Computer

MPEG

and use Presets = HD 1080p 29.97 High Quality

(do not change any settings under Advance Button/Video Tab and Audio Tab)

See what this one looks like on the computer playback but also on your TV via USB.

Let see what we have here. I am hoping that the MPEG2.mpg will be a winner for the TV viewing via USB Flash Drive.

ATR

• 21. Re: GoPro MP4 Files
                                                  VDOSurfer Level 3

Agree with ATR that MPEG2 is more readily supported than H264 on TVs. I am hoping for success from OP too!