8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 26, 2013 7:29 AM by SteveH59

Lost in translation?

SteveH59 Level 1

Hello

In order to burn VHS (C) tapes to a DVD, I play the tape in my VCR which is connected via a USB cable supplied by OXX (I can't find their
      homepage, but it's called DVD Maker). Then, using freeware called ShowBiz, the tape being installed is played on that software's monitor. Then I save my imported file. Different file formats are available (.MOV, MPEG, AVI, etc), but they all only install according to the NTSC format. I imagine the reason for that is that it is US-produced freeware.

This means that the PAL tapes I need to burn to DVD are converted not only from analogue to digital, but from PAL to NTSC. There are three
      different quality settings, low, standard, and high. I select 'high' partly to compensate for the analogue-digital and PAL-NTSC 'translations' and
      the loss of quality which would seem inevitable following these 'translations'.

'High quality' (MPEG) has the following settings: 1280 x 720, and 29fps. The quality of the final movie after burning to a DVD is reasonable - but not anything to write home about - given that it is the product of a VHS (c) tape that undergoes a couple of transitions before I have even placed it on the Elements 11 Timeline.

Consequently, I am considering buying either a Canopus ADVC-55 Analogue to Digital Converter, or a Canopus ADVC-110 Analogue to Digital Converter. I have also seen the Canopus AVDC-100 Analogue to Digital Convertor advertised somewhere. What I would like to ask is this: are either of the above converters likely to make a significant difference to the quality of the final product compared to the laborious process I now engage in? The converters are not cheap (at least, not here) and if the qualitative difference were minimal - for instance, if I can still detect running colours, a shaky clip, etc, that would deter me from buying one.

Thanks for any advice.

Steve

• 1. Re: Lost in translation?
          oldevhs

I have been using the Canopus ADVC-100 for approx 10 years to copy occasional VHS tapes via a Firewire connection (USB just doesn't cut it).  The ADVC-110 is an updated version of the 100 and I have no experience with the 110.  However, the 100 worked perfectly the first time out-of-the-box.  While the quality is not as good as a digital camcorder tape, I am quite satisfied with the quality in all respects (eg no jitter, no running/bleeding colors).  The auto-exposure and auto-focus of 20 year old technology does not compare to today's equipment, the results are nevertheless quite impressive.

• 2. Re: Lost in translation?
            SteveH59 Level 1

That sounds impressive, oldevhs - thank you.

• 3. Re: Lost in translation?
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You will definitely get a much cleaner, more compatible digitized video from your analog using the Canopus AVDC. In fact, we highly recommend it in our FAQs.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/431853?tstart=0

• 4. Re: Lost in translation?
                SteveH59 Level 1

Many thanks for that, Steve.

You have given me some hope!

I'll almost certainly get one.

Cheers

Steve

• 5. Re: Lost in translation?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

SteveH,

One of the beauties of going with an A-D bridge, like the Canopus, is that you will then be doing the Capture in PrE, so you should get the PAL version, with no conversion.

Also, as you are starting with VHS, the DV PAL Standard 4:3 is probably the best starting point for the Capture. Any of the HD Project Presets will not be adding anything to the Capture - you are best going with what you have to start, and especially when going to DVD-Video.

Good luck, and please update us on your success.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Lost in translation?
                    SteveH59 Level 1

Hello Hunt

That's very helpful, thanks. I really need to grasp these settings!

One of the beauties of going with an A-D bridge, like the Canopus, is that you will then be doing the Capture in PrE, so you should get the PAL version, with no conversion.

Yes, that's what's attractive because I suspect that with every conversion some quality is lost.

Steve

• 7. Re: Lost in translation?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

Very often, something IS lost with conversion. Also, some conversions can actually create issues, that did not originally exist. Being able to do without any conversion, is always the best course of action, IMHO. Now, and with that said, there ARE instances, where conversion is the best, or only recourse. I tred lightly, when I must do a conversion, and attempt to keep it simple, chosing the best format/CODEC for editing in Premiere.

Good luck, and I think that you will find the Canopus A-D bridge the answer - easy to use, effective and efficient.

Hunt

• 8. Re: Lost in translation?
                        SteveH59 Level 1

Thanks again for your suggestions and help.

Steve