18 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2013 3:42 AM by finno2010

How do I making a photo slideshow then subsequently buring to DVD?

finno2010

I have just purchased PSE Premier 12 thinking I could make a photo slideshow then burn it to DVD. However it appears that I can only make a video/movie type presentation which results in terribel graphics (blurs what are actually very sharp photos) and will not allow me to specify the transition time between photos. Would appreciate some help here or have I got the wrong product? thanks.

Toucan

• 1. Re: How do I making a photo slideshow then subsequently buring to DVD?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Toucan,

• Is it safe to assume that you will ONLY be using Still Images in this Project, i.e. no video?
          • Is the DVD-Video your only desired output?

1. If so, start with a New Project, and choose the DV Widescreen 16:9 for either NTSC, or PAL, depending on where you live.
          2. Scale your Still Images to approximately 1000 pixels x 750 pixels in Photoshop, Photoshop Elements or a similar Image Editing program.
          3. Determine about how long you wish each Still Image to appear on the screen, and if different from 05 sec. (the default), go to Edit>Preferences>General>Stills Duration, and adjust the number of Frames. Remember that you will have a 29.97 FPS (Frames Per Second) or essentially 30 Frames per Second Project, so a 10 sec. Duration would be 300 Frames. If necessary, you can individually adjust those Stills' Duration, by click+dragging the Tail of the Still Image in the Timeline.
          4. Import your Still Images into that Project, and arrange them, as you desire.
          5. You can then add Transitions, such as the Cross-Dissolve, and also add Titles, using one of the Templates, or creating the Title yourself.
          6. When done, you can add Chapter Markers, and Menus, if desired.
          7. Burn to Disc, or Burn to Folder to test with DVD software players, then use a utility, such as ImgBurn, to burn that Folder to Disc.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: How do I making a photo slideshow then subsequently buring to DVD?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

fubbi2010

How many photos are going into this slideshow?

What is the current size of these photos in pixel dimensions?

Please clarify what you mean by

will not allow me to specify the transition time between photos.

Please give an example of how you are doing this and arriving at that situation.

Is this going to end up as DVD-VIDEO Standard 4:3 on DVD disc or DVD-VIDEO Widescreen 16:9 on DVD?

With this information, we can suggest a detailed workflow for you to try.

Please do not hesitate to ask if you need clarification on anything written.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: How do I making a photo slideshow then subsequently buring to DVD?
              finno2010 Level 1

Thank you for response.

I only want to use still images in the project and I only want to burn the slideshow to DVD.

The slideshow consists of  135 images and I want each one to stay on the screen for 10 seconds plus a very slow transition.

I want to put a title before the first image however when I tried this, it inserted the title into the first image.

I will experiment with your advice. Thankyou.

Toucan

• 4. Re: How do I making a photo slideshow then subsequently buring to DVD?
                finno2010 Level 1

Thanks for response. (I also have another earlier response which you will see in the forums)

There are 135 photos in the slideshow.

Photos size varies depending on camera set used for each one but range from 6000x4000 to 3244x2317.

When I bring up the transition bars, they are not active (I used Quick Movie option)

The slideshow will play on a widescreen TV.

In summary, I want to:

·         Insert a title before the first image and a credits page after the last image.

·         Run 135 photos at 10 seconds each.

·         Have a very slow transition between each one (around 3 seconds)

·         High definition. (I originally used Windows Movie Maker which was very simple to do the above but image quality was atrocious)

·         Burns result to DVD.

Thankyou

Toucan

• 5. Re: How do I making a photo slideshow then subsequently buring to DVD?
                  nealeh Level 5

finno2010 wrote:

·         High definition

·         Burns result to DVD.

These two requirements are incompatible. By definition DVD Standards are 720x480 (NTSC) 720x576 (PAL). So those glorious 24MP images are going to be reduced to around 0.4MP no matter what you do. At best you could burn an AVCHD DVD or a Blu-ray which can give you 1920x1080 (2.1MP) - both need a Blu-ray player for playback.

Taking this into consideration you will get best results by resizing your still images before importing them to your slide show. This is because photo editing software usually use much more sophisticated resizing algorithms than Premiere Elements. Done this way you can obtain excellent results on DVD, especally if viewed on a player with upscaling hardware.

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale
                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 6. Re: How do I making a photo slideshow then subsequently buring to DVD?
                    finno2010 Level 1

Thanks for response. Do you happen to know if PSE12 let's you resize a number of photos at once, please I have 135 photos for the DVD and individual resizing would take some time.

toucan

• 7. Re: How do I making a photo slideshow then subsequently buring to DVD?
                      finno2010 Level 1

Sorry, forgot to also ask, what size should the photos be reduced to for best quality please?

• 8. Re: How do I making a photo slideshow then subsequently buring to DVD?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

PrE CAN Scale the overly large Still Images, BUT those will be very computer resource intensive. Photoshop, or Photoshop Elements, will do so, efficiently, and for an entire folder.

As for size, I would go with exactly the Project's Frame Size, or very slightly above that.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: How do I making a photo slideshow then subsequently buring to DVD?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

finno2010

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 12 on?

Do you have any thoughts in the immediate future of going Blu-ray?

Tonight I am putting together a detail plan, including ironing out your title issue..screenshots included. I hope to have this finished in about 2 hours. Are you pretty much determined to stay in the Quick rather than the Expert workspace?

The generalized classical recommendations for photo sizing, for DVD-VIDEO include not to exceed 1000 x 750 for SD and 1920 x 1080 for HD. But, with Premiere Elements 11 or 12 on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit, those recommendations can be stretched depending on resources. BUT, the output will depend on the standard of the export. For standard or widescreen 720 x 480 NTSC and for HD 1920 x 1080 NTSC. A far distance from your originals of 6000 x 4000 and 3244 x 2317.

Since your preference is for 16:9 widescreen and your photos are not that, then, for best results, you may have to crop/resize rather than just resize. For batch resizing, a program such as Photoshop Elements Full Editor/File Menu/Process Multiple Files can do the job. For cropping and resizing, you may want to look at programs such as

IrfaView and Microsoft Office Picture Manager. There are opportunities for scaling images in the Premiere Elements monitor, but for best results consider doing whatever photo sizing is necessary beforehand.

More later.

ATR

• 10. Re: How do I making a photo slideshow then subsequently buring to DVD?
                            finno2010 Level 1

Hello

I am using Windows 7. Computer has plenty of RAM and runs an Inel Core i5 -3550 processor with a high grad graphics card.

Not considering BluRay as the DVDs are generally for other people.

Only chose Quick workspace because of my lack of expertise (and time). Open to anay suggestions.

Thanks

Toucan

• 11. Re: How do I making a photo slideshow then subsequently buring to DVD?
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

finno2010

Title Issue apparently in Quick Workspace

Let us assume that you have 4 photos that are already in the Quick Filmstrip scene spaces 1, 2, 3, and 4 and that you want a title page before photo 1 in scene space 1

Text Menu/New Text/Default Text

Create your title in the Titler, note that the title is automatically placed in the text bar as a purple bar.

Plant 1.JPG

With the mouse cursor, left click and drag the purple bar down and to the left of the first photo in the first scene space of the Filmstrip. Drag the title there until you see a vertical green line to the left of the first photo in the first scene space of the Filmstrip.

Title-2.jpg

Then release the mouse click to view your title page at the beginning of the Filmstrip line up.

Title 3.JPG

Note I have demo'd this with version 11, same for version 12.

So that you will have a project adaptable to higher resolution end products at a future time, I am suggesting the following

Premiere Elements 12 Project Preset Set Manually

File Menu/New/Project

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30 @ 29.97

before you exit the new project dialog, please a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project".

Back in the Premiere Elements 12 workspace, Edit Menu/Preferences/General

Set Video Transition Duration 90 frames (equivalent to 3 seconds in your 30 fps system)

Set Still Image Duration 300 frames (equivalent to 10 seconds in your 30 fps system)

Then import your photos (1920 x 1080 16:9) into the project, using Add Media/Files and Folders

Since you are in the Quick workspace which does not have Project Assets (files go directly to Filmstrip), I suggest that you order your sized photo in a folder and then import the folder into the project with Add Media/Files and Folders.

As for transitions (all the same), select all the photos, go to Timeline Menu/Apply Default Transitions. The duration of each will be as per the preference setting beforehand. These transition duration can be adjusted by double clicking the transition at the Filmstrip level, and making the adjustment in Transition Adjustments dialog pop up.

Please review the details for the IrfanView and Microsoft Office Picture Manager for cropping/resizing. Explore and experiment on a mini test scale before the grand project.

Looking forward to your results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 12. Re: How do I making a photo slideshow then subsequently buring to DVD?
                                finno2010 Level 1

Thanks for comprehensive advice/suggestions on the process. My PC developed a glitch last night and is with a friend getting sorted out. Will have it back on Sunday and will then put instructions into practise and advice.

Toucan

• 13. Re: How do I making a photo slideshow then subsequently buring to DVD?
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Toucan

Thanks for the update.

Looking forward to your results when you get the chance.

Please do not hesitate to ask for clarification on anything that is written.

ATR

• 14. Re: How do I making a photo slideshow then subsequently buring to DVD?
                                    finno2010 Level 1

Hello ATR

Just letting you know that I successfully composed and burned a DVD yesterday. Could not find all of the settings that you mentioned however changing size to 1920 x 1080 did the trick.

Thanks

Toucan

• 15. Re: How do I making a photo slideshow then subsequently buring to DVD?
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Toucan

Thanks for the great news of your success. Great job.

If you let me know what settings that I mentioned that you could not find, I will go over that with you for future reference.

But, you appear to have the path to a successful end product.

Thanks for the follow up and continuing success.

Best wishes,

ATR

• 16. Re: How do I making a photo slideshow then subsequently buring to DVD?
                                        finno2010 Level 1

Thanks for the continued assistance.

Below are the bits that I could not find or found later after I had produced the video…. (highlighted)

“before you exit the new project dialog, please a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". Could not find this option.

Premiere Elements 12 Project Preset Set Manually – could not find this setting option.

File Menu/New/Project

NTSC NTSC is PAL in Australia. Found this setting and changed it. (Also at burning stage)

DSLR DSLR…. I used the default “PAL AVCHID FullHD 1080.25 setting in ignorance. However the DVD seems to be fine. Can you please tell me what difference changing the setting to DSLR will make please and I will reburn the DVD ?

1080p

DSLR 1080p30 @ 29.97

Thank you.

Toucan

• 17. Re: How do I making a photo slideshow then subsequently buring to DVD?
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

finno2010

“before you exit the new project dialog, please a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". Could not find this option.

Premiere Elements 12 Project Preset Set Manually – could not find this setting option.

In the Premiere Elements 12 Expert workspace, go to File Menu/New/Project

The following New Project dialog will present

1.JPG

Click on Change Settings tab. When you do, you will get the Change Settings dialog.

2.JPG

If your source is 1080p30 but actually given at 29.97 progressive frames per second, then select as the project preset

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30 @ 29.97

(the project preset should match the properties of the source)

After project preset has been selected, click OK in the Change Settings dialog. That will bring you back to the New Project dialog.

3.JPG

Circled in red is the option for "Force Selected Project Setting on this Project" which you place a check mark in front of. Then click OK to get back into the Premiere Elements Expert workspace. And, then import your source media into the project with Add Media/.....

Please note, I work in a NTSC setup. If you are in Australia and are working from a PAL setup, then your project preset would be

PAL

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p25

if your source was 1080p25.

The setting that you used was for interlaced video, but you appear to have progressive video. Again, the properties of the source should match the project preset.

http://www.neuron2.net/LVG/interlacing.html

If you have gotten good results with your prior settings, compare those with the guidelines that I have mentioned and determine the difference in your particular situation and any hits to the quality of the end product.

Thanks.

ATR

• 18. Re: How do I making a photo slideshow then subsequently buring to DVD?
                                            finno2010 Level 1

Great. Thanks. I will now try your settings on another project.

Toucan