4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2006 11:26 AM by redbarron

photo gallery?

jjsand28 Level 1
      Hello all.

I was wondering if any developers out there have a good solution to adding a photo gallery to contribute pages where users can eventually ad their own. I've tried a couple of different things so far but ultimately they all end up needing code or FTP access that I'd really like to avoid if possible.

I'd like the photos to open in a popup or some other page and I do not have the option of using programming (php, CF, etc) to get the job done. I also would like to do the updates only in contribute without some other piece of software.

Thanks in advance
        • 1. Re: photo gallery?
          Tom Benjamin Level 1
          Can you work with a JavaScript photo viewer? Without using a dynamic technology (e.g. PHP, ASP.NET), I don't think there's a way to avoid scripted code and having to edit that. The best you can do is to make it as simple as possible. Is this the kind of thing you're looking for http://www.crd.bc.ca/hfp/photo_album/msm/?
          • 2. Re: photo gallery?
            jjsand28 Level 1
            That's nto really what i was thinking of either. Let me ask a different question I guess. I really love thickbox but there doesn't seem to be a way to add a "rel" or a class to a link. Or is there and I justhaven't foudn it yet.
            • 3. Re: photo gallery?
              Tom Benjamin Level 1
              I like that too - you mean ThickBox 2.1? You'd have to add the
              quote:

<link rel="stylesheet" href="path-to-file/thickbox.css" type="text/css" media="screen" />
              using an external editor, like Notepad. There’s a couple of posts on how to add Notepad to Contribute's list of editors, check out "Contribute source code" in General Discussion, or "adding a weather magnet" in Site Design.
              • 4. photo gallery?
                redbarron Level 1
                I hit on a solution that seems to be working for us. It involves creating a template that has a slide show embedded on it using a long table with image placeholders. The extension in DW that I used was the Vertical Scroller Show which uses a couple of layers and some animation behaviors that essentially "slide" the table past a clipped viewing layer when the visitor mouses over an UP or DOWN link. Very cool and it seems to work (here's an example: School Page Example).

The Dreamweaver Extension is available from Project VII (Seven) and is really fun to create. For the end user, here's what happens. I made a slideshow template that requires 10 pictures 300 x 300 px square, placed vertically into a table that also provides for a one-line caption below each picture. The end user must have 10 pictures, sized exactly to that dimension. In Contribute, they simply click on the image placeholder, navigate to the picture they want to add and select it. They do that 10x to place each picture in, type the caption underneath, and type in the program description in the box provided. Then Publish. Easy! The constraints are that they must have 10 pictures of that size, and captions must be one-liners. That's it! Our publishers (teachers) love this as it lets them showcase student projects.

The reason I went with the Vertical Scroller slide show is that in Edit view in Contribute, the table (into which the pictures must be added) just extends downward and is easy to access. Had I done the Horizontal Scroller (also available on the PVII site), they would've had to scroll sideways and the page layout might've been too destroyed by Contribute. Anyway, this worked for us as it makes it easy for the publishers to drop 10 pictures into the slots and off they go! We may try to create 5 or 15-slide templates depending on the demand. This is not a "dynamic" solution, but I hope this helps anyway!