7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2013 9:37 AM by A.T. Romano

Uploading a video to Amazon Author Central?

Tommyvincent

I have a three-and-a-half minute video that I just uploaded to YouTube. It's about the content of a book I wrote and sell on Amazon. Amazon.com has a page called Amazon Author Central in which an author can upload a video. Here are the instructions:

1. We're unable to embed videos hosted on YouTube directly to Amazon.com Detail pages or Author Pages.

2. However, if you're the original source of uploading the video you can upload the video through your Author Central Account and it will appear on your Author Page, as long as the content stays within the Amazon.com Content Guidelines.

3. Adding Videos

4. You can add up to eight videos and choose the order in which they appear on the Amazon.com Author Page.

1. Select videos that meet the following guidelines:

• In one of the following formats: avi, wmv, flv, mov, or mpg.
          • No more than 10 minutes in length.
          • Smaller than 500 MB.
        2. On the Author Central Profile tab, click add video.
        3. Click Browse and select your video.
        4. Click the box to confirm that you own or have cleared all rights to the video you are adding, and then click Upload video.

I would like to add my video that is now on YouTube to my Author Central page. The instructions above do not give me enough information on how to this. Can anyone on the forum help me out.

One more thing - How do I know which format my video is in. I am using Adobe Premiere Elements 11 as the eding program. Should I include the URL of my video on YouTube?

• 1. Re: Uploading a video to Amazon Author Central?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Tommy,

Before you uploaded the video to YouTube, did your first output it to your computer, or did you directly upload that from the PrE Project?

If the former, and the video's format matches the requirements of Amazon, then just navigate to that video, and upload it to Amazon, via your Author's account.

If the latter, then go back to that Project, and Publish+Share (PrE 11, or 12) to one of the approved Amazon formats, then from your Amazon account, navigate to the location of that file.

Please let us know of your success, and if you need clarification or assistance, let us know that too.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Uploading a video to Amazon Author Central?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Tommyvincent

If all you have is what is displayed at YouTube and it is video that you uploaded there, then you can get a copy of that to upload to Amazon at the Amazon web site.

Here is how I found this to work.

• Go to YouTube and your ID at the top right of the page.
            • Click on the triangle to the right of the ID to get a list of choices. Select Video Manager.
            • In the page that opens, find your video that you uploaded. Note that there is "Edit" below the thumbnail for the video. And further note, that there is a triangle to the right of the word "Edit". Click on the triangle to get a list of choices.
            • Select the one for "Download MP4".

Depending on Amazon's video requirements, you should be able to upload the MP4 from your computer hard drive (where you just saved it) to Amazon.

Please check out the above and let us know if that works for you.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Uploading a video to Amazon Author Central?
              Tommyvincent Level 1

Thanks for the help. Now my video is on both YouTube and on the Amazon Author's page. The name of my book is The Psychology of the Winning Horseplayer by Tom Hagerty. But my video looks pathetic compared to Stephen King's. The video on his author's page is excellent. Of course he sells millions of books; I sell just thousands.

• 4. Re: Uploading a video to Amazon Author Central?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Tommyvincent

Thanks for the great news that the suggestions worked for you to get your videos uploaded to YouTube and Amazon Author's page. Good job and stick-to-it-tiveness.

I looked for your video but did not see it. I saw the cover page and that looked unbeatable.

You will exceed millions soon enough.

Continued success.

ATR

• 5. Re: Uploading a video to Amazon Author Central?
                  Tommyvincent Level 1

On my computer I can see my video on the Amazon Author's page, but on computers without Adobe Flash I cannot see it. It's just a black screen.

I put the video on the Author's page from YouTube. Perhaps there is a way to do it a different way so that Adobe Flash is not necessary to view it. Here's what my video looks like on YouTube -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAcWhjgCGKs

I'd like it to look this way on Amazon's Author page even if a visitor doesn't have Flash. Any ideas?

• 6. Re: Uploading a video to Amazon Author Central?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Tommy,

The player on the Amazon page will very likely be embedded, though there could be other players available. I would contact Amazon, to get the allowed formats (the format could trigger which player is used). If another player is available, then a non-Flash player would be the better option.

Question: do you still have the Project, from which the YouTube video was produced? If so, and if Amazon will accept other formats, and especially a non-Flash format, I would output the Project's Timeline again, to the specs. that Amazon can use, and replace the Flash-based video with that one.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Uploading a video to Amazon Author Central?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Tommyvincent

Have you seen this YouTube via on how to watch YouTube video without Adobe Flash Player?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LusgK62mfyA

I have not tried it yet.

Please let us know if it works for you and your purposes.

Thanks.

ATR