13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2013 6:46 AM by Ellis home

Advice for the best monitor using Adobe Indesign, Illustrator

ArnoudL

Hi, I am looking for some advice for the best type and model of monitor which I need for my new computersystem. I will be working with Adobe IndesignCC and IllustratorCC so can someone push me in right direction please. Which requirements are needed, which models/brands are the best options from experiences from the Adobe users. Many thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Advice for the best monitor using Adobe Indesign, Illustrator
          Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have a 26 inch Dell 2407 WFP - it's fantastic.

But I could do with another monitor.

Actually I'd like 2 but I'd prefer 3 monitors.

I suggest you get 2 monitors to work with both programmes open at the same time.

For the 3rd Monitor I'd use it for emails.

• 2. Re: Advice for the best monitor using Adobe Indesign, Illustrator
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I bought a Dell U3014 (about $850 at NewEgg currently, but shop around for any monitor). It's a wide-gamut LED backlit 30" monitor with 2560 x 1600 resolution that comes as close to being able to display all of the Adobe RGB space as anything on the market that doesn't cost a few thousand more. I'm quite happy with it -- I can judge color and the icons and type in the interface are large enough for my old eyes to read (1920 x 1080, which seems to be what most smaller monitors use is too small for me on anything under 27" for long-term use).

Judging color is important when you work in graphics, so you've already eliminated most inexpensive monitors from your search, in my opinion. They just can't deliver.

• 3. Re: Advice for the best monitor using Adobe Indesign, Illustrator
              peter minneapolis Level 4

ArnoudL wrote:

Hi, I am looking for some advice for the best type and model of monitor which I need for my new computersystem. I will be working with Adobe IndesignCC and IllustratorCC so can someone push me in right direction please. Which requirements are needed, which models/brands are the best options from experiences from the Adobe users. Many thanks in advance!

If you'll be outputting for high-quality printed materials, and if what you see on your monitor is what you want to see in the delivered print material, then you'll need a monitor that can be calibrated to the same standard that your print vendors use. You'll probably need a photometer device that reads the screen and works with software to calibrate properly. You may want to confer with your print vendors about what they expect you to deliver, and what suggestions they may have for particular display types, brands, and models that they know from experience are either good or bad choices that allow them to deliver their best work.

It's a good bet that others on the forum here who have experience with exacting workflows, will offer suggestions.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 4. Re: Advice for the best monitor using Adobe Indesign, Illustrator

I work pretty much exclusively for print, and mostly in color.

The other Peter has said a couple of things I think are a bit confusing. First, you calibrate and profile the monitor for what it is able to display, or to a device-independent standard like AdobeRGB or sRGB, not an output space for the printer. It's the job of the color management module to translate what a particular color looks like in the output space to what it looks like in your monitor space.

Second, I'm not sure what he means by "photometer." You can use either a spectrophotometer or a colorimeter to read and calibrate the monitor. The colorimeter is less expensive, probably not quite as accurate, and cannot read reflected color from your prints, but it's what most of us use for monitor calibration unless we've got a very expensive pakage for profiling printers (or a press), scanner and monitor, which requires that we are able to read the reflected color from printed output.

• 5. Re: Advice for the best monitor using Adobe Indesign, Illustrator
                  peter minneapolis Level 4

Peter Spier wrote:

I work pretty much exclusively for print, and mostly in color.

The other Peter has said a couple of things I think are a bit confusing. First, you calibrate and profile the monitor for what it is able to display, or to a device-independent standard like AdobeRGB or sRGB, not an output space for the printer. It's the job of the color management module to translate what a particular color looks like in the output space to what it looks like in your monitor space.

Thanks for straightening me out, Peter S.

My point was that it not a good idea to rely one one's eye alone when adjusting a workflow. Measuring devices (-meters) if used properly can help achieve consistency between the originator and the final output.

It may not be as much of an issue with publications that contain standard colors, but with photographs, employing standards rather than subjective "eyes" helps assure that the output is as it was visualized on one's monitor.

Second, I'm not sure what he means by "photometer." You can use either a spectrophotometer or a colorimeter to read and calibrate the monitor. The colorimeter is less expensive, probably not quite as accurate, and cannot read reflected color from your prints, but it's what most of us use for monitor calibration unless we've got a very expensive pakage for profiling printers (or a press), scanner and monitor, which requires that we are able to read the reflected color from printed output.

I have seen discussions on other forums that mention some monitors vs. others, for various reasons.

I'm not a professional production worker, so I'll accept whatever experienced folks like you suggest.

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 6. Re: Advice for the best monitor using Adobe Indesign, Illustrator
                    ArnoudL Level 1

Hi Peter, thanks for your advice. I am looking for the Dell monitor but I can not find any pricing you mentioned. Prices are round EUR 1100 and $ 1500. Where are you based? Cheers Arnoud

• 7. Re: Advice for the best monitor using Adobe Indesign, Illustrator

In the US -- Massachusetts. I would expect the price to be higher where you are (I'm guessing Europe), if it's avaialble at all.

• 9. Re: Advice for the best monitor using Adobe Indesign, Illustrator
                        ArnoudL Level 1

Hi Peter, thanks again for your advice. I did buy myself a DELL U3014 (EUR 1150). Great monitor althought I am not using it to the full potential yet. Perhaps you can advice me with the next items I will need: a mouse and a keyboard. Any suggestions which model/brand will be the best option for me working with Adobe modules such as Indesign, Illustrator and photoshop. Many thanks in advance. Cheers Arnoud

• 10. Re: Advice for the best monitor using Adobe Indesign, Illustrator
                          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Mice and keyboards really depend on very personal preference. I love my

Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000. I've never used one I like as

much. Other people hate them. Best to visit a local computer store (not

Apple) and play with them.

• 11. Re: Advice for the best monitor using Adobe Indesign, Illustrator
                            Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have the keyboard that came with the computer. It's a bog-standard Dell.

I also have a microsoft mouse, it's a bit worn.

It has Left - Right and wheel mouse.

And has forward and back buttons for the web.

Works just fine for what I do.

• 12. Re: Advice for the best monitor using Adobe Indesign, Illustrator

Use what suits you. I personally prefer the feel of Logitech.

• 13. Re: Advice for the best monitor using Adobe Indesign, Illustrator
                                Ellis home Level 4

I'm with Bob on the ergonomic keyboard. Takes some time to get used to it but then there's no comeback. Especially if you do a lot of typesetting.