9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2013 5:32 PM by A.T. Romano

Help deleting a blank clip.

Skycity

I just converted from the trial version of Elements 12 to the paid version, and I could not get rid of the watermark.  I tried rerendering the files but with no luck, so I replaced the clip.   Now for some reason, I have a 2 1/2 minute blank clip that I just cannot delete.  I have tried "Delete and Close Gap" but it is not highlited, so that does nothing.  I just cannot get rid of that gray clip.  Help!  Thanks.

• 1. Re: Help deleting a blank clip.
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It depends on what the clip is.

It might be an adjustment layer. Or it might be a glitch.

Which video layer is it on?

Is there video on a track above or below it?

• 2. Re: Help deleting a blank clip.
            Skycity Level 1

No, there are not any other videos above or below.  I probably made a mistake in saving the original, or as I was trying to get rid of the watermark??   Not terribly familiar with the product yet. The blank clip sits in the space on the timeline that the original clips occupied, with the watermark, that I was replacing.

• 3. Re: Help deleting a blank clip.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Skycity

It may or may not help, but could you post a screenshot of what you are now facing in the Premiere Elements 12 Expert workspace tracks related to the issue you describe.

You said originally that this all started when you wanted to remove the watermark from the tryout when you purchased a serial number for the product. I am not sure if it is a typing error on your side or my misreading, but you wrote

I tried rerendering the files but with no luck, so I replaced the clip.

The classical how to for removing that watermark is not rendering the files, but rather deleting the rendered files in the purchase copy (Timeline Menu/Delete Rendered Files). In all that you have done, have you done ever deleted any rendered files in this project.prel file? Did you look in the Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder to make sure that the rendered file no longer existed?

Please consider. We are looking forward to your results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Help deleting a blank clip.
                Skycity Level 1

shot.pngSorry if I mispoke above, I did not rerender the files, but I did try to delete the rendered files (Timeline Menu/Delete Rendered Files).

Also, I just looked at the Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder, and there are no files there. Thanks.

• 5. Re: Help deleting a blank clip.
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Skycity

Thanks for the screenshot.

I am not seeing any gray clip.

What I am seeing is an empty space between two sections of your Timeline on Video Track 1, nothing above and a portion of the Soundtrack below.

You should be able to right click that space, get a pop up "Delete and Close Gap", but sometimes the placement of other components of the tracks may interfere with that command. In that case, you select what needs to be moved and move them with the mouse cursor. There is a technique where you draw a rectangle with the mouse cursor around a group of  clips to select them.

That is my take on your situation as of now.

More later.

Thanks.

ATR

But, in the present situation, closing that gap may present other problems. Best case, if you could find a replacement image for that spot. Best hold down the Alt key of the computer main keyboard as you drag the replacement into place on the Timeline to avoid disturbing everything else.

• 6. Re: Help deleting a blank clip.
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Quick question please:

There is a scroll bar to the right of your Timeline. If you scroll down, is it safe to assume that there is nothing on any of the Tracks, visible when you scroll?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Help deleting a blank clip.
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

Don't you mean scroll up.

Scroll down takes you to Narration and then Soundtrack which you can clearly see.

Scroll up takes you in the direction of Video 1 and higher. But, even here, it seems clear that there are no tracks above Video 2.

But, the question could be asked, "Is there any content on Video 2 or Audio 2 since these specific tracks are both being displayed in the "closed" configuration.

Please review to see if my comments have merit in this instance.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Help deleting a blank clip.
                        Skycity Level 1

Guys,  Thanks for all of your help and interest in my problem.  Bill, in answer to your question, there are no other tracks visible when I scroll up or down on the scroll bar at the right.    ATR,  I think I will try your trick where I hold down the Alt key and drag in a new clip to replace the blank space.  I hope that will fill that space, and not simply move in next to the blank space.    I expanded both video 2 and audio 2, and there are no tracks there.   I plan to delete the audio track and reload that after I get the video corrected.   I will let you know how it goes!   Thanks for all your help, and let me know if you have any other advice.

• 9. Re: Help deleting a blank clip.
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Skycity

Sounds like you have everything under control.

Just a reminder about holding down that Alt key as you add other files to the Timeline where content already exists.

Some prefer to use the Ctrl key for this. I prefer the Alt key. It works for me so I continue to use it when needed. The Alt and Ctr here are often referred to as "keyboard modifiers".

Please update us on your progress when you get a chance.

Thanks.

ATR