5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2013 6:52 AM by JJMack

max screen rez for Photoshop CS6 (Windows)

phxgreyhound

Hello,

Can you please tell me what the maximum resolution would be in order to run Photoshop CS6 on a Windows laptop?

I am contemplating whether or not to go with the 2880 x 1620 screen or the 1920 x 1080 one.

Thanks very much for your help

best to you,

rick

• 1. Re: max screen rez for Photoshop CS6 (Windows)
          JJMack Most Valuable Participant

You stated some displays supported pixel numbers but no displays resolution.  Currently Adobe only has support for high resolution displays in the Mac version of Photoshop. Adobe needs to port that code to the windows version of Photoshop.  The current Photoshop Windows version UI is design to work on 96DPI resolution displays best. On displays with higher resolution then 96DPI text and icons become harder to see for they they display very small.  On high resolution displays like some Lenovo Laptops and Tablets that have a  276DPI resolutions you may need the aid of a magnifying glass.

A desktop  23"display with 1920x1080 pixels only has a resolution of 96DPI. The Microsoft surface pro 2 10" LCD has 1920x1080 pixels also but a much higher resolution windows desktop is still readable. I would not like to see a windows desktop on an android nexus 10" LCD tablet with 2560x1600 Pixels and a 300DPI resolution,

• 2. Re: max screen rez for Photoshop CS6 (Windows)
            phxgreyhound Level 1

Thank you for your input.

I am thinking about purchasing a Lenovo T540 or W530 laptop. The screens are 15.6" and have resolutions of 1920 x 1080. Can you tell me if this resolution at 15.6" will work in Photoshop CS6 without a magnifying glass. I would like to have the program be easily readable in terms of the icons and menus. Im assuming that this configuration will work because the laptop does have Photoshop Elements as a pre-loaded option.

Thanks again for your help and responses.

best to you,

rick

• 3. Re: max screen rez for Photoshop CS6 (Windows)

Its simple math 1920x1080 is a 16:9 aspect ratio   square root of (16square + 8square) = 18.36 yours is 15.6"

15.6/18.36 = .85    16*.85=13.6" wide   1920/13.6 = 141DPI If your eyes are good you should have no problem the UI will be a little smaler then your use to.

Try one before you buy....

• 4. Re: max screen rez for Photoshop CS6 (Windows)
                Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

Sounds a bit risky, but we are all hoping that the tool icon size problem will be resolved sometime.

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T400-T500-and-newer-T-series/T540p-or-W530-for-photoshop-editi ng-need-your-help/m-p/1332357

If I have calculated correctly, the screen should be this size, but the icons would slightly smaller.  Could you work with that?

Actually, my logic is all over the place.  This might be right viewed on my monitor, but will likely be different viewed on other monitors.  You'll need to click on the image to open it to actual pixel size, and then zoom your browser in or out so the graphic covers a 15.6 inch diagonal.  One thing is for sure - those tool icons are going to be tiny

Lenovo.jpg

• 5. Re: max screen rez for Photoshop CS6 (Windows)

I used Photoshop on IBM thinkpads with 15" 1600x1200 IPS  LCD these 4:3 displays you know that old 4 3 5 right triangle  so the display is  3 time that 12 9 15 so its resolution is 1600/12 so 133.333dpi I actually prefer that resolution the my 20" 4:3 display with 1600x1200  whid is 4 time the 4 3 5 triangle  16 12 20 so 1600/16=100DPI while 100dpi is closer to the windows desktops 96dpi design the sharper image a 133.33 DPI is so much better then the softer 100DPI image. So 141DI will show fonts and text even smaller then what I see at 133DPI the 141DPI image will be sharper and better.   A 10"  LCD like the Nexus 10 tablet resolution is 300DPI like you likely to print at so you would be able to judge print sharpening better on that LCD however you would not be able to read the text or make out the icons for at 3 time the resolution they would display something like 1/9 the size they would display on a 100 dpi display If you think about it... one square size would represet 3 time the resolution size

Capture.jpg