7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2013 9:14 AM by Peter Spier

Image Filters for InDeasin CS

edatsunnyvale

I have been running InDesign CS 3.0 for years and suddenly it asks for Image Filters and Avast blocks these siting malicious files. Does anyone have a solution?

InDesign still runs on a computer that never sees the Internet.

• 1. Re: Image Filters for InDeasin CS
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Does the INDD come from your own computer? Or do you get it from someone else?

What are you doing when ID asks you? Place files?

If you place files, what type of files are you trying to import? Where do they come from?

Did you ever patch your version of InDesign? (This would require Internet Connection.)

• 2. Re: Image Filters for InDeasin CS
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

And there's a reasonable probablity that Avast gave a false postive for some required files and quarantined them during a scan...

• 3. Re: Image Filters for InDeasin CS
              edatsunnyvale Level 1

Hi Peter,

Thanks for replying.

As I said, InDesign has been working for me for years. With the current project, a news letter, I returned to an incomplete newsletter and the error ocured while loading the InDesign application. InDesign reports it cannot find Image Filters. See attached screen shot. Also, during loading Avast reported Image Filters as malicious and refused the link. So I do not get as far as being able to answer your questions.

Also, as I said, I have a computer that's off-line and it loads InDesign with no problem, I assume because it cannot look for a new version of the Image Filters.

I have tried reloading the InDesign application, even after running a register cleanup, and I still get the failure, even when this computer is offline.

Ed.

• 4. Re: Image Filters for InDeasin CS
                Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

I don't see your screen shot.

• 5. Re: Image Filters for InDeasin CS

You cannot attach to the forums, you need to come back to the web page and use the camera icon to embed the images in a  post, like this:

CameraIcon.png

I find it more likely thatyour unconnected machine is not suffering from Avast finding a false positive, either because it isn't running, or becasue it hasn't received the same defective update. ID would not be looking for new versions of image filters on startup. If there were any, they would only be installed as part of a program update, and there hasn't been one of those for CS3 for years. ID does load existing plugins into memory, though as it starts up, and it sounds like Avast has taken a dislike tothe image filter plugins.

In case you haven't caught the undercurrent of what I'm saying, the problem is most likely Avast, not anything to do with ID.

• 6. Re: Image Filters for InDeasin CS
                    edatsunnyvale Level 1

Hi Peter,

I agree with you. I have sent a "false positive" report to Avast. I was just hoping that there was a version of Image Filters that did not have the issue with Avast.

I now await to to see if Avast fixes the problem in an update. I would imagine that they will get plenty of complaints.

Ed.

• 7. Re: Image Filters for InDeasin CS

I don't use Avast, so I don't know its ins and outs, but I think you'll need to unquarantine the files and add them to the ignore list for now. (You might need to run System Restore to get them back).